Pulled pork trouble

Bob

Reaction score
Grill
Silverton 810
Had a bone in Boston butt 7-8 lbs. followed the treager recipe to a tee. 8 hours later ( internal temperature 204)it looked good (bark) but bone did not come out easy and the meat was tasty but didn’t pull well. The meat had a lighter color than I thought it would be, didn’t shred easily either,WHAT DID I DO WRONG!!!!!!

Hi Bob! Did you wrap at 160? Butcher paper or foil? What temp did you cook at?

Treager recipe is3-4 hours are 225 then wrap in foil with apple cider for another 3-4 hours at 225

Hmmm. How long did you let the meat rest for after it was finished cooking?

Reactions: Bob
It’s best to use time as a guideline, however temp is the real marker for completion. Since it finished at 204, it was on the mark for when you would normally pull off to rest.

the recipe doesn’t have another crucial element, which is towel and cooler rest. Once you reach the magic 203 or so, pull from the T, leave the foil/butcher paper on and wrap tightly in towel(s) and put in a cooler to let it rest for 1-2 hours. This part is essential for letting the juices recollect and settle down. I’ve left mine in a cooler for fours hours before and it came out juicy and still hot enough to burn your fingers when pulling by hand.

The tried and true method:
225 with super smoke until 160-165
Pull from T, wrap in foil. Add any beer, juice, cider, whatever you want, if desired
Continue at 225, turn off super smoke until internal temp is 203
Pull, wrap in towel, put in small cooler to rest for 2 hours.

BTW this approach is also reliable for brisket, except for the towel and cooler. Instead, I take it off and let it rest for 25 minutes at least before carving.

have fun!

It’s best to use time as a guideline, however temp is the real marker for completion. Since it finished at 204, it was on the mark for when you would normally pull off to rest.

the recipe doesn’t have another crucial element, which is towel and cooler rest. Once you reach the magic 203 or so, pull from the T, leave the foil/butcher paper on and wrap tightly in towel(s) and put in a cooler to let it rest for 1-2 hours. This part is essential for letting the juices recollect and settle down. I’ve left mine in a cooler for fours hours before and it came out juicy and still hot enough to burn your fingers when pulling by hand.

Pull from T, wrap in foil. Add any beer, juice, cider, whatever you want, if desired

BTW this approach is also reliable for brisket, except for the towel and cooler. Instead, I take it off and let it rest for 25 minutes at least before carving.

have fun!

have fun!
Thanx guys did not do the towel and cooler will try and the post results . Once again thank you so much.
One question when I see pulled pork made on tv conventional smoker they never wrap in foil or cool in towel. Is pellet different

Just made one yesterday for the first time on my new 780 Pro. I have made other ones in the past on my offset, and my older Traeger. Sometimes ya got to tweek things a little too. Where did you place the probe? If it was too close to the bone, that will give you a false reading. I have never used a liquid on any of my pulled pork cooks when I wrapped. I have used both paper, and foil. This was done with foil. I do wrap at 165, and double wrap tight as I can, and cook till 205. I have gone as high as 210, and have no problems. I also let the meat, brisket or pork go to room temp before cooking it. Like someone else stated when you get it off the smoker, wrap a towel around it and let it rest for at least 45 to an hour. I don't put it in a cooler. If it is going to rest longer, I just put the wrapped meat in my oven, no heat and it is fine.
pork3.jpg
pork2.jpg

By not wrapping, you are building a deep bark on the meat. When using foil, the bark buildup stops. The towel and cooler is a very effective method to rest the meat while retaining heat.
Some consider the foil as a crutch, others (myself included) see it as a bit of insurance that the final product will be quality and have forgiveness to any unforeseen errors.

By not wrapping, you are building a deep bark on the meat. When using foil, the bark buildup stops. The towel and cooler is a very effective method to rest the meat while retaining heat.
Some consider the foil as a crutch, others (myself included) see it as a bit of insurance that the final product will be quality and have forgiveness to any unforeseen errors.
Thanx for all the tips, I am new to this so will post on my next butt

Had a bone in Boston butt 7-8 lbs. followed the treager recipe to a tee. 8 hours later ( internal temperature 204)it looked good (bark) but bone did not come out easy and the meat was tasty but didn’t pull well. The meat had a lighter color than I thought it would be, didn’t shred easily either,WHAT DID I DO WRONG!!!!!!
Buy a third party meat probe, (e.g. thermapen) the traeger probe is unreliable

Buy a third party meat probe, (e.g. thermapen) the traeger probe is unreliable
Agree with Franco - if you are using the Traeger probe, make sure it's calibrated or use a thermapen or third party meat probe - it's possible you are under cooking the shoulder if the probe is reading too high - good luck!

Will try independent probe that I have
Thanx

Agreed! The Traeger probe is absolutely horrible. My Thermapen is spot on while the Traeger probe will be +/- 10 degrees. I got the Weber iGrill2 and like it so far. Seems to be accurately close to my MK4.

Back