Pork Pulled Pork Tenderloin

SkipMorrow

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 780
I have a 2.81 pound pork tenderloin. I know pulled pork is usually done with a shoulder, but can it be done with a tenderloin? I don't know much about meat cuts at all. I think this is going to be part of my smoking experience. Anyway, if it is possible to smoke the tenderloin and make pulled pork out of it, I'd like to try. I have a smoke tube that I am looking to use for the first time as well.

Pork Tenderloin and Pork Loin are both very lean cuts of pork that are not normally pulled. They also are not generally slow smoked as they are so lean, they end up tough. Here's a good rule of thumb.

Lean = Hot & Fast
Fatty/Tuff = Low & Slow

I cook Pork Tenderloin all the time as it is a quick and easy meal. Set your Traeger to 375 or 400. Rub the tenderloin with EVOO and dust with your favorite rub. Then place it on the Traeger for 20 minutes then flip and grill for another 10 minutes. Check internal temp and when it hits 145, remove from the grill. Slice & serve with Raspberry Chipotle dipping sauce. Yum.

Pork Tenderloin 2.jpeg

Pork Tenderloin 3.jpeg

I think the OP's question was related to the 'pulled' aspect of the tenderloin. Can you shred it like a shoulder/butt? Your Tenderloin looks insanely good, tho!

The lean aspect of the meat does not allow it to be "pulled" like a boston butt or a brisket. You can chop it though.

You can also slice it real thin.

Like I said, I still have a lot to learn when it comes to cuts of meats. I originally asked about a port TENDERLOIN. But when I looked at the package today, it is a pork ROAST or LOIN (no idea what the difference is between a loin and a TENDERloin). Anyway, does that change things? Can a pork roast/loin be used to make some smoked pulled pork?

Attachments

• PXL_20201217_172829290.jpg
    PXL_20201217_172829290.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 27
  • PXL_20201217_172806106.jpg
    PXL_20201217_172806106.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 29
I have indeed cooked pork loins long enough to make them taste and act like pulled pork...
It was by accident, I left a bunch of them (cooking for a party) foil wrapped on the smoker in my "warmer" section for hours... thought they were ruined when a late comer dropped in and all I had to server was one of those loins... it was better than the ones served earlier!!!!
It wasn't burned or dried out, if fact it was by now pulled pork.

Cooked it tonight for 5.5 hours. Cold smoke (with a smoke tube) for 2.5 hours, then cooked for another 3 hrs at 250F. Came out very tender, and we pulled it and put it on sandwiches. 10/10 would do it again.

Attachments

• PXL_20201219_001115093.jpg
    PXL_20201219_001115093.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 109

Latest Discussions

Back