Probes

Nelly219405

Reaction score
Grill
Silverton
This forum is great! Just bought a Silverton from
Costco and have cooked baby backs, pork butt, and chicken wings. Everything seemed a bit undercooked. After reading several threads it looks like I have to invest in a 3rd party probe. Everyone raves about these grills and I really want to love it….. hope I do after getting the new probe.

Did you calibrate your Traeger probe using an ice water bath. That might help, but I do not like the design of the probe as there is too much metal sticking out of the meat. Thus, I suspect it reads high because of induction of heat from the grill chamber. I used my Ironwood probe for the first few cooks, but I never plug it in since getting better probes.

The thermometers recommended by @MidwestSmoker are indeed sound recommendations, but if they are out of your budget range, there are less expensive thermometers that will get the job done. If you are doing frequent cooks, then get devices that are built for long-term reliability. But if you a cooking a few days a month, then you might find less expensive devices will be satisfactory. The main thing is that they need to be accurate. Even a couple of degrees can make a significant difference in the final product.

I am currently use the following devices and have found them to be accurate and reliable over the past few months. However, I do not know how they will stand up over time.

This unit does not work with my smartphone, but has its own WiFI monitor.

This thing gives accurate readings in 2-3 seconds. I think that is on par with the Thermapen at 1/3 the cost. Professional chefs who need a thermometer on a daily basis use Thermapens.

Did you calibrate your Traeger probe using an ice water bath. That might help, but I do not like the design of the probe as there is too much metal sticking out of the meat. Thus, I suspect it reads high because of induction of heat from the grill chamber. I used my Ironwood probe for the first few cooks, but I never plug it in since getting better probes.

You want mine? never made it out of the plastic bag... ummm wait, I think that went into the trash a long time ago.

Costco and have cooked baby backs, pork butt, and chicken wings. Everything seemed a bit undercooked. After reading several threads it looks like I have to invest in a 3rd party probe. Everyone raves about these grills and I really want to love it….. hope I do after getting the new probe.

I have the Silverton 810, ended buying gasket material to seal the lid to the base. Also invest in 2 ambient probes and a readout, I use Thermo works. You will find that the end where the RTD is reads about 30 degrees lower than the set point. The other end ( where drip tray goes into greese trap) Reade higher, but still lower than set point. Traeger advises to allow 15 minutes after pre heat to start cooking, it actually takes about 30 for the 810 to settle down to a steady temp, but lower than set point. Experience will help you decide how much above recipe temp to set your Silverton in order to get acceptable cook times and good results. This past Sunday, I cooked 2 racks of beef chuck ribs (Dino ribs) kept set point 30 degrees above recipe temp and got great results. Zero smoke flavor though. Good luck!

Has anybody discovered a third party, quality probe (not Trager) that will correctly plug into a Trager Silverton 620? I've got a Thermoworks Smoke setup, and having been using this, but I would like to use the Trager app and internal electronics. If so, please share. Thanks :cool:

Has anybody discovered a third party, quality probe (not Trager) that will correctly plug into a Trager Silverton 620? I've got a Thermoworks Smoke setup, and having been using this, but I would like to use the Trager app and internal electronics. If so, please share. Thanks :cool:
I’m not sure it’s the probe itself that is the problem, as much as it’s the controller and implementation. I know what probes they are using (or were using because we sold them to Traeger) and they are actually high quality probes.

Glad you found the forum, and welcome! Third party probes are a must. You can go with the moderately priced InkBird:
https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Thermometer-Rechargeable-Wireless-Calibration/dp/B07XNTJKY4

Or go the high end with FireBoard 2:
https://www.fireboard.com/shop/fireboard-2/

Also recommended is a instant read probe:
https://www.thermoworks.com/thermapen-one/
I'm a huge fan of the Inkbird gear mentioned above. My favorite feature is the graphing/trending you can do with the free app for your phone. You can graph the entire cook cycle and see the stall points etc. I use one probe for the internal temp of the Traeger and the other three for meat temps. The Traeger probe is in a drawer somewhere. I couldn't rely on it at all.

I’m not sure it’s the probe itself that is the problem, as much as it’s the controller and implementation. I know what probes they are using (or were using because we sold them to Traeger) and they are actually high quality probes.
Good to know, thanks for this info.

I have a number of remote thermometers I have collected over the years. I tried plugging many of them into the Traeger controller, but none of them provided an accurate temperature. Thus, I monitor both grill temp and the internal meat temp with 3rd party thermometers and never plug a meat probe into the Traeger. I never use the WiFire app, either, except to alert me of an empty pellet hopper. The Traeger controller does a decent job of holding the cook temperature once I set it. I just do not count on the cook temperature and the controller temperature being the same.

Thanks for the info, that helps knowing other probes won't work with the Trager control board. I guess I'll be sticking with my ThermoWorks Smoke setup.

Back