Probes getting a boost?

Yeah, I am more of a Fire Board competition probe kinda guy, myself.
Fwiw I definitely meant crater earlier.....not greater. Stupid auto correct. I need to upgrade my probe from Traeger/Meater. I just need to decide on InkBird/Fireboard. The price of the FB is what I don't know if I'm ready to spend just yet. You're talking $200 for three probes, but from what everyone says you really need to then splurge also for comp. probes and then maybe the magnetic holder. Gets pricey.

By all accounts the Inkbird is solid all be it with just 4 probes and not as functional of a app (though apparently it's improved).

Fwiw I definitely meant crater earlier.....not greater. Stupid auto correct. I need to upgrade my probe from Traeger/Meater. I just need to decide on InkBird/Fireboard. The price of the FB is what I don't know if I'm ready to spend just yet. You're talking $200 for three probes, but from what everyone says you really need to then splurge also for comp. probes and then maybe the magnetic holder. Gets pricey.

By all accounts the Inkbird is solid all be it with just 4 probes and not as functional of a app (though apparently it's improved).

You really don't need to spurge for the comp probes, the standard ones certainly work fine. That said, I would at least get the short comp probe and then get more probes as budget allows. I use the short probe a LOT.

I had an Ink Bird before I bought my Fire Board 2 but gave it to my son-in-law. It's a fine unit and you can't go wrong.

I like to play with toys though so I like the Fire Board app, iWatch support, etc.

Either will be a significant upgrade from the Traeger on-board probe!

You really don't need to spurge for the comp probes, the standard ones certainly work fine. That said, I would at least get the short comp probe and then get more probes as budget allows. I use the short probe a LOT.

I had an Ink Bird before I bought my Fire Board 2 but gave it to my son-in-law. It's a fine unit and you can't go wrong.

I like to play with toys though so I like the Fire Board app, iWatch support, etc.

Either will be a significant upgrade from the Traeger on-board probe!
Murphy,
If I want to jump right in on the fireboard is this everything that I need

Fireboard $189
Competition Series Probe pack $85
Magnetic base $25

Is that it?

Murphy,
If I want to jump right in on the fireboard is this everything that I need

Fireboard $189
Competition Series Probe pack $85
Magnetic base $25

Is that it?

The only thing I can think of is an extra ambient probe, perhaps. It's good to use if you want to measure temperatures across different areas of the grate. Again, not needed but good to have!

A lot of people, myself included, use the probe spools from Thermoworks.

The only thing I can think of is an extra ambient probe, perhaps. It's good to use if you want to measure temperatures across different areas of the grate. Again, not needed but good to have!

Thanks just ordered everthing

Can you not use a regular probe to measure ambient temp?

I use the regular (thick) food probe that came with my Fireboard to measure ambient temperature outside the pit. I just hang it off the power cord hanger in the back of the unit. I picked up a second ambient probe for additional measurements in the pit. It is smaller and comes with a handy, dandy mounting bracket. If you don't care about the size and have your own mounting mechanism, I'm sure a food probe could work for measuring ambient in the pit.

I use the regular (thick) food probe that came with my Fireboard to measure ambient temperature outside the pit. I just hang it off the power cord hanger in the back of the unit. I picked up a second ambient probe for additional measurements in the pit. It is smaller and comes with a handy, dandy mounting bracket. If you don't care about the size and have your own mounting mechanism, I'm sure a food probe could work for measuring ambient in the pit.
When you say put what do you mean

Can you not use a regular probe to measure ambient temp?
Yes, you can as long as the temperature is below 500 degrees. The FireBoard food probe that comes with the kit is just a thermistor probe. They do sell RTD probes separately that can go to higher temperatures.

When you say put what do you mean
Here are the regular food probes: https://www.fireboard.com/shop/food-probe/
Two of these come with the Fireboard 2. I purchased a competition series probe pack (https://www.fireboard.com/shop/competition-series-probe-pack/), so I don't use the regular food probes. One of the regular food probes I hang off the back of my IW885 to record the ambient air temperature outside of the pit (when I have an extra channel available).

I also purchased a second ambient probe: https://www.fireboard.com/shop/ambient-probe-sant311/
One of these comes with the Fireboard 2. Now that I have two of them, I am able to track temperatures inside the pit at two different locations (usually far left and far right in the pit).

The regular food probe has the same temperature range as the ambient probe. The big differences between the two are the size and the provided mounting bracket. If the size difference is not a problem and the lack of a mounting bracket is also not a problem, I don't see any reason why a regular food probe can't be used to measure ambient temperature.

Am I still being confusing in my explanation?

Latest Discussions

Back