Probes getting a boost?

My thought is that if Meater is an accurate thermometer. And the wifi and battery were removed from the probe. That would allow for a smaller diameter probe which could then be wired and have a main wired receiver unit. That then could be integrated into a grill controller.
But this is me thinking out loud.

My thought is that if Meater is an accurate thermometer. And the wifi and battery were removed from the probe. That would allow for a smaller diameter probe which could then be wired and have a main wired receiver unit. That then could be integrated into a grill controller.
But this is me thinking out loud.
Yeah, that was my thought also. That just maybe Traeger acquired Meater, so that they could develop a solution similar to the Yoder/FireBoard. One can only hope!

Last edited:
It would need to be something new to provide any real benefit. I don't see any existing Meater product that would provide anything more than a flashy marketing bullet point accompanied by a corresponding price bump for the "enhanced feature."

It would need to be something new to provide any real benefit. I don't see any existing Meater product that would provide anything more than a flashy marketing bullet point accompanied by a corresponding price bump for the "enhanced feature."
Accuracy? I think that basic functionality is forgotten. Once they can correct their issues with inaccurate probe readings they could look at enhanced features..
This being an acquisition, who knows what they have planned.

Yeah, that was my thought also. That just maybe Traeger acquired Meater, so that they could develop a solution similar to the Yoder/FireBoard. One can only hope!
Would be nice if they did this then they’d hook up some of us current customers......meaning just making it at least compatible with what’s in our grills so we can choose to or not to buy a probe or not. I still get the need for the multiple probes you get with a FB/IB but having an accurate one built in would be really nice

Would be nice if they did this then they’d hook up some of us current customers......meaning just making it at least compatible with what’s in our grills so we can choose to or not to buy a probe or not. I still get the need for the multiple probes you get with a FB/IB but having an accurate one built in would be really nice
Even if the Traeger meat probe was accurate, I wouldn’t use it. One probe is never enough for me, and I wouldn’t want to monitor probes from two different apps.

Even if the Traeger meat probe was accurate, I wouldn’t use it. One probe is never enough for me, and I wouldn’t want to monitor probes from two different apps.
Definitely understand that. It would be nice if the grills came with 2 probe ports. But the way they are right now with accuracy, one is too many.

You guys like to dream....
whistle.gif

Well I get that, but I sometimes might do a steak and want to probe it. Have done so before at least. I’m just saying it would be nice. You wouldn’t have to buy one or anything lol

Accuracy? I think that basic functionality is forgotten. Once they can correct their issues with inaccurate probe readings they could look at enhanced features..
This being an acquisition, who knows what they have planned.
Like you said, accuracy is basic functionality. They have not been able to get reasonable accuracy with their current engineering team and the reason for that is probably not a technological one. This makes me believe an acquisition won't really help improve their accuracy.

While I think the Meater looks really cool and you get a meat and ambient temp in one probe, I question the 'through the grill' ability.

I have been using the 8 probe GrillEye Pro Plus (https://grilleye.com/) from Costco (comes with base unit w 2 probes with a bonus 3rd probe). These are wired probes with a wireless unit that handles all the wireless workload.

They have just released a new unit - the GrillEye Max with better probes. Having up to 8 probes in a single device rocks the boat in a big way for me. I use, at a minimum, 3 probes for a cook.

There is a GrillEye event on Monday, July 26, 0700 Pacific covering their new probes and the Max. Check it out.

While I think the Meater looks really cool and you get a meat and ambient temp in one probe, I question the 'through the grill' ability.

I have been using the 8 probe GrillEye Pro Plus (https://grilleye.com/) from Costco (comes with base unit w 2 probes with a bonus 3rd probe). These are wired probes with a wireless unit that handles all the wireless workload.

They have just released a new unit - the GrillEye Max with better probes. Having up to 8 probes in a single device rocks the boat in a big way for me. I use, at a minimum, 3 probes for a cook.

There is a GrillEye event on Monday, July 26, 0700 Pacific covering their new probes and the Max. Check it out.
What about the through the grill ability for you question? I have a meater+ I purchased for a cooker I have that doesn’t have a feed through for a wire and I’ve used it multiple times with my Traeger now. The internal temp is dead nuts to the Mk4 and reads fine.

I do want to upgrade because it’s be said the ambient is questionable because of its proximity to the protein and I want more probes and true wifi

It’s a giant probe though. It leaves a greater in the meat when you remove it

Latest Discussions

Back