Probes getting a boost?

RustyJake

⚒️ Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
Interesting..
Maybe Traeger is going to do like Yoder did.

Interesting..
Maybe Traeger is going to do like Yoder did.
If they could improve on the quality of the probes included with the grills, that would help.
Don't need the wireless technology for the probes, just better accuracy

If they could improve on the quality of the probes included with the grills, that would help.
Don't need the wireless technology for the probes, just better accuracy
I agree!
In fact, IMO, I don’t believe the technology is there yet for a wireless grill probe that can be monitored with WiFi or Bluetooth.
The transmitter doesn’t work through a metal grill with any distance without using two devices ( I’m assuming one of them is acting as a hotspot), and I still think a probe the size of a number two pencil is just TO BIG.

I was thinking… You know that both Thermoworks and FireBoard have more than likely looked into a wireless probe, and yet neither one of those two companies have one. Personally, I think it is very revealing when the top two temp probe companies don’t have a wireless solution yet. The technology just isn’t there yet, to do what they want it to do.

I was thinking… You know that both Thermoworks and FireBoard have more than likely looked into a wireless probe, and yet neither one of those two companies have one. Personally, I think it is very revealing when the top two temp probe companies don’t have a wireless solution yet. The technology just isn’t there yet, to do what they want it to do.
That's simple, a wireless probe has a shelf life, then it dies!!!

Why would it have a shelf life? Maybe a battery for the transmitter?
yes, Meater won't last as long as a wired fireboard... it's only re-chargeable for so long

I’m with @RustyJake, maybe they just need to make an accurate wired probe for the Traeger, but sounds like Traeger is looking for another gimmick.
Who knows what they have planned..

Any changes probably won't be backwards compatible.
It'd be nice if they could improve the accuracy for all the probes on the grills already out there.
Every Traeger review seems to talk about the inaccuracy of the temperature probes. They need to reverse that perception by making it accurate

Any changes probably won't be backwards compatible.
It'd be nice if they could improve the accuracy for all the probes on the grills already out there.
Every Traeger review seems to talk about the inaccuracy of the temperature probes. They need to reverse that perception by making it accurate
Yes,I agree with that. Many of the Costco grills get returned for just that reason. That said, I don’t believe I’ve ever owned a grill/smoker with an accurate pit probe.
However Yoder may just be changing that with FireBoard electronics and probes.

I always thought that great electronics and accurate probes would drive the cost up, but the Yoder and Timberline 1300 are the same price. I bet the bottom line is different though. Traeger is probably marked up more than Yoder.

Yes,I agree with that. Many of the Costco grills get returned for just that reason. That said, I don’t believe I’ve ever owned a grill/smoker with an accurate pit probe.
However Yoder may just be changing that with FireBoard electronics and probes.

I always thought that great electronics and accurate probes would drive the cost up, but the Yoder and Timberline 1300 are the same price. I bet the bottom line is different though. Traeger is probably marked up more than Yoder.
Yoder sold an upgrade kit for older grills prior to them using Fireboard technology. It wasn't a cheap upgrade, but worthwhile to do.
We'll have to see where they go with the acquisition. But improving their core products with the Meater technology and accuracy seems like an obvious route forward

Sounds like a marketing gimmick to boost sales going forward. For me, I don't need it as I have the FB2, which serves me well.

"Meater will continue to run as a standalone company." Yeah, right. Until the bean counters figure where the duplication is. Especially that they are going public.

Latest Discussions

Back