Probe worth a darn?

I have a FireBoard 2 on order, supposed to be delivered tomorrow.
Great investment. Very pleased with mine and it's accuracy. Being able to monitor multiple things may seem like overkill, but even to monitor the pit temp and the protein is worth it.
I got the drive unit so I could use it on my Kamado grill. It worked flawlessly in maintaining temperature on it
Screenshot_20200808-165309_FireBoard.jpg
I am still learning how to use the website and store data. But so far I have kept general notes. Another great feature is having that access and ability for all your cooks with it.
I am tempted to do another brisket on my Komado. My first attempt a couple years back wasn't one I'd want to repeat.
I have two briskets in the freezer, maybe I'll do a side by side cook with one on the Traeger and the other in the Komado ?

Last edited:
Great investment. Very pleased with mine and it's accuracy. Being able to monitor multiple things may seem like overkill, but even to monitor the pit temp and the protein is worth it.
I got the drive unit so I could use it on my Komado grill. It worked flawlessly in maintaining temperature on it
View attachment 2131
I am still learning how to use the website and store data. But so far I have kept general notes. Another great feature is having that access and ability for all your cooks with it.
I am tempted to do another brisket on my Komado. My first attempt a couple years back wasn't one I'd want to repeat.
I have two briskets in the freezer, maybe I'll do a side by side cook with one on the Traeger and the other in the Komado ?

I too can't say enough about the Fireboard2, fantastic unit.

Side-by-side Briskets? Now THAT's a party!

I swear by my Tappecue!

We have had our Traeger for about 4 months. We have had some great success cooking. Our probe, however, is worthless. I have 2 meat thermometers to compare it against, which are always within 1 degree of each other. The Traeger probe is about 20-30 degrees too high on cold foods, and anywhere from 10-20 degrees low on hot food. I have calibrated it, but that doesn't do anything. Should I make a warranty call or just throw it away and buy some other digital solution?
The probes are of the same quality as the grills. I got our Pro 575 for Thanksgiving last year. After the initial seasoning/burn in, we tried the ice water calibration several times to no avail.

We've never been able to connect to the much hated WiFire no matter how many people have tried to get it to sync.

We've never cooked on the thing just by some chance Traeger would want it back. Well that sure isn't going to happen.

I tried giving it to my son this spring. After his research and the negative comments about the all new Pro 575, even he declined a free uncooked on wonder grill.

The folks at Traeger have been less than sympathetic concerning this boat anchor living in the corner of my garage.

Thank goodness my 2003 Weber Kettle still serves me well.

Any takers?

We have had our Traeger for about 4 months. We have had some great success cooking. Our probe, however, is worthless. I have 2 meat thermometers to compare it against, which are always within 1 degree of each other. The Traeger probe is about 20-30 degrees too high on cold foods, and anywhere from 10-20 degrees low on hot food. I have calibrated it, but that doesn't do anything. Should I make a warranty call or just throw it away and buy some other digital solution?

I calibrated using a cup of ice water. Let it sit for about 3 minutes then clicked calibrate. However, there was one time where the low temps were accurate but on the higher side it wasn’t always accurate. They sent me a replacement probe and I haven’t had any problems since.

I had to buy a third party probe to validate the Traeger grill temperature. Just to be sure, I also put a oven thermometer on the grate. Both indicated the Traeger grill temp probe was low by at least 50 degrees. Not happy, as this is a new probe that replaced the first one I got when I bought the grill. I will request another, but not the quality I expected for the price.

Just bought pro 22, temp is all over the place, I have tried to cook twice with it, both times it shut down on me, had to call for help and talk to someone who I couldn't understand their English, guess they are in another country, had I known that I wouldn't have bought it, now I have to work on it to fix it with a new thermostat, I didn't spend $600 to work on something and have to try to understand some one in a foreign country. REALLY UNHAPPY WITH PURCHASE

How do you perform the boiling water method?
I was going to boil water and pour it into an insulated travel mug I use when driving. I have another meat thermometer that I tried with boiling water that read 210-211 so I'll test the water first.

Yes, that is the procedure that Traeger has for my Pro 575 as well. However, what people are complaining about is that the Traeger probes are not accurate when compared to other 3rd party temp probes, even after being calibrated.

I have an Inkbird digital thermometer that I use to double check the temp when the Traeger probe hits its temp. The Traeger probe often reads 10 or more degrees high.

I am seriously contemplating getting the Fireboard wireless monitoring system.
I bought a Fireboard and have not looked back...., I am hoping for a Software Fix for the Traeger probe issue, it seems to be systemic across all models...

The problem with using boiling water is that water boils at different temperatures dependent upon altitude. If you live close to sea level than 212°F is correct but you'd need to compensate for higher altitudes. For every 550 feet above sea level, the boiling point of water is 1°F lower than 212°F.

That's why the ice water method is the preferred method.
It's easy to correct for altitude. The problem with the ice method is that the accuracy of a probe is not consistent across the temperature range it is capable of measuring so unless you plan to be grilling near the freezing point you are much better calibrating near the smoking point so the boiling water method is the better choice IMHO.

Last edited:
Back