Probe worth a darn?

Timmmer

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575
We have had our Traeger for about 4 months. We have had some great success cooking. Our probe, however, is worthless. I have 2 meat thermometers to compare it against, which are always within 1 degree of each other. The Traeger probe is about 20-30 degrees too high on cold foods, and anywhere from 10-20 degrees low on hot food. I have calibrated it, but that doesn't do anything. Should I make a warranty call or just throw it away and buy some other digital solution?

We have had our Traeger for about 4 months. We have had some great success cooking. Our probe, however, is worthless. I have 2 meat thermometers to compare it against, which are always within 1 degree of each other. The Traeger probe is about 20-30 degrees too high on cold foods, and anywhere from 10-20 degrees low on hot food. I have calibrated it, but that doesn't do anything. Should I make a warranty call or just throw it away and buy some other digital solution?
Mine is the same. I thought about a warranty claim. Just didn't pursue it. Always worth a try I guess. Plus it might as well cost Traeger a few extra $$ for their poor quality control. My pit probe in the Traeger is also about 10°F out as well

For peace of mind I went with another probe system to monitor things. There are a few different ones out there, I went with a Fireboard2.

Have you calibrated your probe in boiling water, it is a better test than the ice in the glass Traeger suggests

Have you calibrated your probe in boiling water, it is a better test than the ice in the glass Traeger suggests
Yes, mine I have tried in boiling water
-15 degree offset isn't enough for mine at that temp.
It is +4 out at 32F and =21 out at boiling. I have compared to my Fireboard2 and my instant read thermometer
There is no way to use it with any sense of reliability

I haven't even used my Traeger ones yet, they are still in the plastic bag. I didn't even contemplate they would be as good as even my 6 years old Mavericks that have never failed me... unless the batteries ran out of course...
A probe cord can just sneak from under the door, it might even be a while till I puncture my rubber access... I only probe when temps are close

Reactions: EdC
The Timberline 850 and 1300 have a probe calibration capability by doing the following:
1. Fill up a plastic cup with ice and water.
2. Place your probe into the ice water.
3. Press Menu; settings; probe calibration;
4. After 1 minute in the ice water, select calibrate and the probe is recalibrated to the temp of the ice water.

Yes, that is the procedure that Traeger has for my Pro 575 as well. However, what people are complaining about is that the Traeger probes are not accurate when compared to other 3rd party temp probes, even after being calibrated.

I have an Inkbird digital thermometer that I use to double check the temp when the Traeger probe hits its temp. The Traeger probe often reads 10 or more degrees high.

I am seriously contemplating getting the Fireboard wireless monitoring system.

Last edited:
Consider the Thermowork signal. It's great and on sale right now

Yes, that is the procedure that Traeger has for my Pro 575 as well. However, what people are complaining about is that the Traeger probes are not accurate when compared to other 3rd party temp probes, even after being calibrated.

I have an Inkbird digital thermometer that I use to double check the temp when the Traeger probe hits its temp. The Traeger probe often reads 10 or more degrees high.

I am seriously contemplating getting the Fireboard wireless monitoring system.

Yes I experienced that too! Then I started to recalibrate 3 times in a row for each cook and now my probe is spot on with my Thermapen MK4. Why, I don't know, but it is!

The problem with using boiling water is that water boils at different temperatures dependent upon altitude. If you live close to sea level than 212°F is correct but you'd need to compensate for higher altitudes. For every 550 feet above sea level, the boiling point of water is 1°F lower than 212°F.

That's why the ice water method is the preferred method.

Get a fireboard unit. I’ve tried a ton of other digital therm solutions and it is by far the best. Being able to view the temp over time in a graph and save the sessions has helped me dial everything in.

Get a fireboard unit. I’ve tried a ton of other digital therm solutions and it is by far the best. Being able to view the temp over time in a graph and save the sessions has helped me dial everything in.
I agree. I know my pit temp is off as well now. More information to dial in the cooks for some consistency
Aside from having Traeger send out replacement parts to see if I could fix mine, this was my solution as well.

Yes I experienced that too! Then I started to recalibrate 3 times in a row for each cook and now my probe is spot on with my Thermapen MK4. Why, I don't know, but it is!

Question, using the ice method?

I agree with everyone here, there is something amiss with the probes they currently have. I am getting another one sent by Traeger to replace my faulty one. The strange thing is they are out of stock which means they at least ordering from a better company. Until then do invest in a lavatool or thermapro.

Back