probe/timer/keep warm modes won't display

BsGrillin'

Reaction score
Grill
Tailgater 20
Hello all! Need help. Just got my Tailgater 20 Saturday. Did the initial fire per the owners manual instructions. However, the probe will beep when plugged in, but will not display a temperature. Nor does the timer or keep warm mode. Everytime I press the center button, per the instructions, during cooking, it goes to OFF. I even got an experienced Traeger guy over, and he says that something ain't right. Any suggestions???

Soooo, my local Ace Hardware salesman, that sold me the Traeger, contacted the area rep, based in Utah from what I understand. Ace guy, Jason, came out and between he and the Traeger rep via texting and whatnot, got everything working, got me trained. I love my Traeger, even more so now that all the bells and whistles WORK. Now chillin n grillin!

So do you know what he did to fix it? I’m having the same problem

The guy that sold it to me from the my local Ace Hardware, came out and got the Traeger rep on the phone. They both said that this particular grill (Tailgater), you have to let it "warm up" and maintain the desired temp for a few minutes before attempting to run the probe, timer and keep warm settings. Which I have found as true. Once we figured that out, I have been cooking up a storm. Just takes a little longer and planning, but worth it!

The guy that sold it to me from the my local Ace Hardware, came out and got the Traeger rep on the phone. They both said that this particular grill (Tailgater), you have to let it "warm up" and maintain the desired temp for a few minutes before attempting to run the probe, timer and keep warm settings. Which I have found as true. Once we figured that out, I have been cooking up a storm. Just takes a little longer and planning, but worth it!

Hello first time here. Well bought a tailgater 20. It has the digital controls. Manual says press the centre button to use probe, use the centre button to use timer. Seems centre button is supposed to control too much since mine won’t do anything except shut down bbq. Read the earlier reply’s to the original question but that doesn’t really answer anything. Wait till the temp warms up and is the desired temp then it will work? Not working at all. Been grilling at 350 for 45 min and tried to use the probe right now. It was sitting in the meat the whole time. Press the centre button quickly and nothing shows up. Press it for few seconds and wants to shut off. Is it possible to replace this 1 button controls everything with the turning knob I’ve seen on other models?

When you plug the probe in, does the probe indicator light come on? It should be just to the left of the digital numbers.

It beeps and then nothing. It’s not like I need the probe or the timer. Everything else works really well. I’ll double check tomorrow when I make dinner on it. Thanks for replying. I’ll post the answer to the light tomorrow.

No the Traeger was on at 180 for 3 hrs making dinner. Put in the probe and it beeps but no light on beside the digital numbers. Waited 30 min with it in and still nothing. But like I said it’s all good the meat was perfect.

No the Traeger was on at 180 for 3 hrs making dinner. Put in the probe and it beeps but no light on beside the digital numbers. Waited 30 min with it in and still nothing. But like I said it’s all good the meat was perfect.
Sucks the probe isn't working properly. I invested in a Fireboard 2 to monitor pit temp and meat temp on both my Traegers. You could get a cheaper temp monitoring system that would work fine.

At least it cooks well without issue!

Oh I love it. Thanks for the reply. It’s my first Traeger. Always wanted one but the price was just out of reach. This one was cheaper so I jumped on it. Should have bought one years ago. I’ll look into those but for now I’ll be okay. Thanks again.

Oh I love it. Thanks for the reply. It’s my first Traeger. Always wanted one but the price was just out of reach. This one was cheaper so I jumped on it. Should have bought one years ago. I’ll look into those but for now I’ll be okay. Thanks again.
Hi, wondering if you ever found a resolution to this issue? I just purchased the tailgater two days ago and equally enjoy it thus far but real issue not knowing the temp. A little concerning no one from Traegar commenting. Would love any insight you have. Thanks!

If you bought it new, call Traeger a claim warranty.

As far as I know, no one from Traeger is on this site. It’s a user forum.

Latest Discussions

Back