probe/timer/keep warm modes won't display

thanks. Called customer service and he walked me through it. When in temp mode, push black button 2 times will go to timer, then push it 3 times and goes to probe. It was a little tricky had to do it a couple of times but works well. He stayed on the phone with me until I completed the exercise. Thanks!

I have same problem. Contacted support, stock useless suggestion with this problem. Unplugged probe, plugged back in, it works!

Same issue with my new Tailgater. I called customer support and the rep walked me through the problem, even using a video connection. Determined that the controller is not functioning properly, and they are sending me a new controller. The rep sent me a video link on how to replace the controller. He spent nearly 40 minutes on the phone while I fired up my smoker, and he could watch as I went through the process. Outstanding service IMHO! I'll add more information later this week when the new controller arrives and I replace the old one.

I just noticed clicked center button once and goes to timer. Click second time and shows P 90. Book says temp should go away after 5 second but it's not wanting to go away

Update on my Traeger tailgater. Traeger sent me a new controller, which I installed as instructed. There are 3 sets of color coded wires to connect for the fan, auger, and heating element, a black wire to the switch, and a ground wire. Connected them all and voila, it tripped my breaker. Rechecked all the connections and same result. I contacted Traeger and they agreed to create a work order. I then took it back to Ace Hardware tonight. I'll post an update when I hear from Ace Hardware. Some two months after purchasing my Tailgater, I do not have a properly working smoker, which is frustrating I will say , to their credit, the Traeger customer service reps have been accommodating, and willing to work on a solution. I will post an update as soon as I hear back from Ace Hardware.

Just picked up my Tailgater from ACE Hardware. Dean, at our Parsons Avenue site in Columbus, hooked up the controller. The smoker is heating up fine. The warming button now functions. The external probe still doesn't seem to work properly, but I am using an Inkbird IBBQ-4T WIFI thermometer so I really don't care. I am satisfied with the outcome. I do think that these new digital controllers may be more "finnicky". The real key is having a qualified LOCAL person like Dean to offer in person support. Dean went to Utah for some training with Traeger, and I suspect that most modest population areas have someone like him to provide local service.

Purchased the Ranger yesterday. Did the burn-in/seasoning (450 for 30 min). Shut it down (press center button for a few seconds goes to OFF flashing and then a 5 min countdown). This was way different than the manual stated. With that said, I decided to test the rest of the features (probe, timer). Fired the Ranger up again and placed the probe inside. Reached desired temp, pressed center button, did not advance to timer or probe... stayed on temp setting. Scoured the forum here for solutions as the Ranger rangered on ;). Found this thread of great usefulness. "Hard Press" does not work on my center button... only to shut down the grill. Quick short press (like a quick tap) advanced my screen to timer and then to probe. Timer icon appears if I set a time on the screen. Probe icon only appears when I set an alarm temp but the probe temp does display without an alarm set. Of note... the probe temp does not go off after 5 seconds but rather stays on till I "tap" the center button again. The manual is horrible!!! Another note... the Ranger had to be running and up to temp before the center button "taps" actually worked. Tailgater and Ranger use the same controller.

Hello all! Need help. Just got my Tailgater 20 Saturday. Did the initial fire per the owners manual instructions. However, the probe will beep when plugged in, but will not display a temperature. Nor does the timer or keep warm mode. Everytime I press the center button, per the instructions, during cooking, it goes to OFF. I even got an experienced Traeger guy over, and he says that something ain't right. Any suggestions???
Same problem. The 1st rep just sent me a new probe. Same issue. The directions in the book not very good at all.
2nd rep today actually got me on a video and we troubleshooting.
Glass if ice water put probe in and like magic the probe starts working. Note the book says nothing about calibrating the probe this. Also just says hit center button 2x. I final got to work, but clearly this is an issue for several users on this forum. I will say tech support was very good in both cases but the 1st rep didn't troubleshoot enough. I now have 2 good probes.

Latest Discussions

Back