Probe reads 15-30 degrees higher than actual.

10:45 am to 7:30pm with about a 30 minute gap to put meat into foil, add meat broth and finish wrapping the foil around the meat to preclude leaks of the broth. Due to the 40 degree temp drop left to right across the meat package, I swapped ends several times to equalize the ends cooking. Could probably been less time if I had put the temp probes beside the meat initially as the cooking temperature would have been closer to the recommended 225 degrees. But I leanred and it was the first cook.

Experience ia really great sometimes as we now know something we do not want to do.....

Took an electric tea kettle out to boil water by the Traeger.

The off set for the Traeger probe to agree with my Thermapen Mk4 was +7 degrres F in ice water last week. Food is cooked to a warmer temperature.

With two Thermapen pen devices, new Signals four port and prior Mk4, reading 208 degrees F in the boiling water, the Traeger probe indicated 228 degrees F. I changed the offset to -11 degrees F so the Traeger app displayed 208 degrees F which is cliser to the suggested finishing temperatures in the recipes.

In theory the Traeger could now control the cook more accurately towards the end of the cook.

Tomorrow is first cook attempt with a 4 pound brisket. I will have one meat probe and three air probes in operation from the Signals and also the Traeger meat probe.

i can monitor progress of the cook by using both the Thermowerks and Traeger apps on my iPhone.
Frustrating. I just now did this boiling method trying to calibrate the temp probe. Water kettle next to the Traeger along with ThermoWorks Dot and my brand new never used InkBird IBBQ-4T (all 4 probes). Dot hit 212 first. The InkBirds hit 212 soon after while the Traeger prob hit 216. So I went to calibrate and of course I mess up and calibrated +4 instead of -4. So I redid the steps and now the T probe is at 32 while the water is boiling and it won’t budge. Turned off the control box to reset and nothing. Let it sit for 5 minutes and tried the steps again and the T probe is sitting at 40 something while the other probes hit 212. I’m going to let it sit and hopefully time out and reset for awhile before attempting this again. The Traeger software is not the smartest. Maybe average at best. Traeger, if your reading this you need to get your IT tech and work on this issue please. Your making USA look bad.

Frustrating. I just now did this boiling method trying to calibrate the temp probe. Water kettle next to the Traeger along with ThermoWorks Dot and my brand new never used InkBird IBBQ-4T (all 4 probes). Dot hit 212 first. The InkBirds hit 212 soon after while the Traeger prob hit 216. So I went to calibrate and of course I mess up and calibrated +4 instead of -4. So I redid the steps and now the T probe is at 32 while the water is boiling and it won’t budge. Turned off the control box to reset and nothing. Let it sit for 5 minutes and tried the steps again and the T probe is sitting at 40 something while the other probes hit 212. I’m going to let it sit and hopefully time out and reset for awhile before attempting this again. The Traeger software is not the smartest. Maybe average at best. Traeger, if your reading this you need to get your IT tech and work on this issue please. Your making USA look bad.

Thank You!!!!!! You have just solidly proven why that Traeger probe is a piece of :poop:
I may have to include your post in the FAQ page

InkBird

Latest Discussions

Back