Pro Series 780 WiFi issues

Dwood

Reaction score
I just got a new Pro Series 780 and love it but the only issue is that I cant get the WiFi to connect. Been round and round with CS. It says it can’t connect to make sure WiFi is in range and 2.4ghz. Grill is only 30 ft from the router. Any advice?

I wanted t get better signal as well, as I am hearing you wont’ get the firmware push unless you have a signal of -50 or better. I’m hovering at -70 to-68 in my garage. I tried reconnecting it to my extender, but it acts like it is connected to the weaker AP as they both can be seen. They share an SSID, so I cannot differentiate. I think I may have to rename my extender SSID so that I can pick the stronger of the two.

I wanted t get better signal as well, as I am hearing you wont’ get the firmware push unless you have a signal of -50 or better. I’m hovering at -70 to-68 in my garage. I tried reconnecting it to my extender, but it acts like it is connected to the weaker AP as they both can be seen. They share an SSID, so I cannot differentiate. I think I may have to rename my extender SSID so that I can pick the stronger of the two.
Did you have issues connecting? Mine won’t even connect. It can’t be signal strength bc I run a Roku and my apple phone in the same area.

Yes, it connected, but it was dropping once in a while During our first cook it held 90% of the time, but dropped once in a while. Honestly, in our neighborhood, this is why I moved everything to 5Ghz.

I did a full network site survey (sorry, I did this for a living) and got all my neighbors on non-overlapping WiFi channels. So we didn't hurt each others performance on 2.4Ghz. That lasted a few years until we got a few new neighbors and it all went to crap. So I moved our entire network to 5Ghz and life is good. Now the Traeger comes into play.

I've been using it out front of the garage until I get my cover in, so I can move it to the deck. Signal out back should be no issue at all. I was just bugged that there was no external antenna. This was a mistake on Traegers part. In fact, I pulled the controller board last night and there is no visible antenna on the board. So if you open up a WiFi survey tool, or your WiFi control on your phone and see multiple neighbors AP's, your Traeger may have issues just for that reason.

Even though you pick your AP with super strong signal, if your neighbors AP on a different SSID is stronger, your devices will have a tough time connecting. It's just how WiFi works. Logging into your wireless management tool and changing the channel can make a world of difference in how or if your devices connect.

Traeger did what they could in making it stupid simple to connect up. I'm just amazed they didn't include a 5Ghz radio. 5 has been the industry standard for too long not to include it. Unless it is and the app defaults to 2.4Ghz. The directions say stick to 2.4Ghz.

I'm doing my first pork shoulder tomorrow, I may move it to my deck and reconnect to be sure it is on the whole day. But honestly, if it drops, the display on the grill works fine.

To answer your question, this may not be an issue between the grill and the Internet. It could be the cloud service traeger is using. There are a lot of variables. And while you are connecting, monitor the status on your grill's display. As it will show you the network status of the grills connection. Anything beyond that is the cloud, the internet or your phone and app's issue.

Good luck!

The Traeger is 2.4 band only. In order to connect the Traeger wifi to the router the first time by using your phone be sure your phone is also connected to the 2.4 band of your router and not 5g. I had the same issue with wyze cams and the phone has to be connected to 2.4 to connect to the cameras for initial setup. 2.4 is slower than 5g but longer range and better penetration of walls and glass. Also btw, I had 1 update a few weeks ago and my signal is around 58-62 dBm. Cheers.

Last edited:
Yes, it connected, but it was dropping once in a while During our first cook it held 90% of the time, but dropped once in a while. Honestly, in our neighborhood, this is why I moved everything to 5Ghz.

I did a full network site survey (sorry, I did this for a living) and got all my neighbors on non-overlapping WiFi channels. So we didn't hurt each others performance on 2.4Ghz. That lasted a few years until we got a few new neighbors and it all went to crap. So I moved our entire network to 5Ghz and life is good. Now the Traeger comes into play.

I've been using it out front of the garage until I get my cover in, so I can move it to the deck. Signal out back should be no issue at all. I was just bugged that there was no external antenna. This was a mistake on Traegers part. In fact, I pulled the controller board last night and there is no visible antenna on the board. So if you open up a WiFi survey tool, or your WiFi control on your phone and see multiple neighbors AP's, your Traeger may have issues just for that reason.

Even though you pick your AP with super strong signal, if your neighbors AP on a different SSID is stronger, your devices will have a tough time connecting. It's just how WiFi works. Logging into your wireless management tool and changing the channel can make a world of difference in how or if your devices connect.

Traeger did what they could in making it stupid simple to connect up. I'm just amazed they didn't include a 5Ghz radio. 5 has been the industry standard for too long not to include it. Unless it is and the app defaults to 2.4Ghz. The directions say stick to 2.4Ghz.

I'm doing my first pork shoulder tomorrow, I may move it to my deck and reconnect to be sure it is on the whole day. But honestly, if it drops, the display on the grill works fine.

To answer your question, this may not be an issue between the grill and the Internet. It could be the cloud service traeger is using. There are a lot of variables. And while you are connecting, monitor the status on your grill's display. As it will show you the network status of the grills connection. Anything beyond that is the cloud, the internet or your phone and app's issue.

Good luck!
Thanks for the info. When I walk through the set up for my grill it says connected to access point, but the app says unable to connect grill to WiFi. It tells me to make sure it’s in range and 2.4 ghz signal. I was only able to see the signal strength once and it was between 58-65. The guy I talked to said it needs to be at least 70. To free up bandwidth I removed all devices from 2.4 and switched them to 5 ghz. I also ran a wireless access point even closer to the grill that was hard wired in to my router with no luck. This is becoming super frustrating. I’m fairly technical and have set up smart devices and wiring through out my entire house. Not sure what else to try.

Also agree on the design. A antenna probably would have been a great idea.

Thanks for the info. When I walk through the set up for my grill it says connected to access point, but the app says unable to connect grill to WiFi. It tells me to make sure it’s in range and 2.4 ghz signal. I was only able to see the signal strength once and it was between 58-65. The guy I talked to said it needs to be at least 70. To free up bandwidth I removed all devices from 2.4 and switched them to 5 ghz. I also ran a wireless access point even closer to the grill that was hard wired in to my router with no luck. This is becoming super frustrating. I’m fairly technical and have set up smart devices and wiring through out my entire house. Not sure what else to try.

Also agree on the design. A antenna probably would have been a great idea.

I have found that the iOS devices will connect easy when my android would experience the same issue as you described. Once the iOS was connected the android would then fall in line and connect right away. Go figure.

Also keep in mind, WiFi signal is measured backwards. -90 is worse than -20. Like right now, I mine bumps between -60 (connected) to -90 (disconnected) I'm in the middle of a big pork smoke, so I am in and out checking on it. But it's going through metal siding and insulated garage doors. I bet I open my garage door and she hooks up.

I think you are right though, there are more variables at play than just getting the grill connected to the network.

I just purchased a timberline and am having trouble connecting to my WiFi. Traeger customer service is no help. Made sure my iPhone was at 2.4 gig. Is there a fix for this?

I find it connects to iOS app a lot easier then the android app. Once the iOS is set up the android will then connect up.

I just purchased a timberline and am having trouble connecting to my WiFi. Traeger customer service is no help. Made sure my iPhone was at 2.4 gig. Is there a fix for this?

if you have that model, check if there is an external antenna below the pellet hopper. you can also point it towards your access point, although they are omnidirectional.

Good luck

if you have that model, check if there is an external antenna below the pellet hopper. you can also point it towards your access point, although they are omnidirectional.

Good luck

Looks like I have the old model. No D2 controller and no antenna. Stopped at Ace Hardware today and they are going to swap it out to the new model.

Dwood. Curious if you ever figured this out? I have a 575 and am getting the same problem. My Traeger is literally 20 feet from the router. My phone shows full connectivity. Yet it won't connect. I am use the 2.4 as well.

Hello, I'm new to smoking and was getting very excited about the few meals I was able to make. Then it happened. I upgraded my wireless router cable modem. I lost the connection between my app and the Treager. I tried all troubleshooting suggestions and finally, after talking to CS I learned a few things. You may already be aware of these requirements. But I will list them anyway.
  • Make sure your modem has 2.4Ghz. Newer modems will operate with both 2.4 & 5Ghz
  • Make sure to have separate passwords and separate names for each network(2.4 & 5Ghz).
  • Whatever device(cell, Ipad,etc.) you choose to communicate with the Treager, will have to operate in the same 2.4Ghz network, every time you want to communicate with the Treager
    • Make sure your device doesn't auto-connect to the 5Ghz network.
  • Before you start the next step, I was instructed to reboot my cable modem/router and make sure it is fully online.
  • Customer Support instructed me on a task that's not in the manual. Hard reset on the Treager to forget the network.
    • With the Smoker turned on - still cool. Go through the menu until you get to >Settings then to >About Grill
    • Once in the >About Grill area Hold Ignite for around 30 seconds
    • The display will open in a test environment. interesting area if you want to explore later.
    • CS then asked me to power the switch off and unplug the power cord for 30 sec.
    • Reconnect the power cord and turn on power switch.
    • Varify that your device that the app is running on, is connected to the 2.4GHz network.
    • Start the Treager App and follow the instructions for adding a grill.
  • It worked for me!!!
Good luck and i hope this helps some hungry dude.

Latest Discussions

Back