Pro 780 Low Temp Issues

Vososn

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 780
I bought a Pro 780 last October and everything was working great up to this summer. When I set my grill at 165 the lowest my grill will reach is 195. If I set my grill over 200, it has no problems keeping temp. At first I thought I was the summer months not letting my grill get that low. I recently just tried smoking some meat on a cool morning and I had the same issue. I clean my grill regularly and clean out the heating pan. I am using Cabalas brand pellets. When I first started using them I didn’t have any issues with keeping the temp at 165 if I remember correctly. Its possible it could be the pellets and I plan on buying some Traeger pellets to see if that fixes the issue. Other than the pellets any other suggestions? Help would be apricated!

Same grill with same problem here and I have only used Traeger pellets. As I type, the temp is set for 165 and grill is indicating 216....I got an idea from reading other posts this overage could be due to outside temp. Here in Az now it’s 108. If there is a minimum auger speed that cannot run any cooler in such high outside temp, maybe cracking open the lid a little to let excess heat vent may help. Trying that now. Ok this did allow some excess heat to vent off, will have to experiment more. At settings over 325, the grill is rock solid at maintaining selected temp.

UPDATE: I just bought a Meater and if it’s ambient temp is correct, my traeger is dead on at low temps. I guess a separate thermometer is needed for most accurate probe and grill temps.

Last edited:
Back