Pro 780 grate upgrade

Takes one to know one Shedd. šŸ˜‚šŸ˜œ

Maybe buy one of those fancy inspection mirrors they sell at advanced auto parts. Once you have it, look at yourself
In it. If you catch my drift. šŸ¤¦šŸ¼ā€ā™‚ļø
Just seems you have an issue when a reply isnā€™t to your liking or suggestions. Either way I donā€™t really care what you think, negativity causes negativity!
It works absolutely great for me, I keep a wet towel handy and as something drips on the shiny metal surface itā€™s very noticeable rather than on my dark brown decking. Easy to drop the wet towel swipe with my foot. But Iā€™m sure youā€™ll find some way to turn this reply around to make you look better, I donā€™t care!

Just seems you have an issue when a reply isnā€™t to your liking or suggestions. Either way I donā€™t really care what you think, negativity causes negativity!
It works absolutely great for me, I keep a wet towel handy and as something drips on the shiny metal surface itā€™s very noticeable rather than on my dark brown decking. Easy to drop the wet towel swipe with my foot. But Iā€™m sure youā€™ll find some way to turn this reply around to make you look better, I donā€™t care!
Iā€™ll be the first to admit that I will bite back. In this instance you seemed to suggest I was really dumb for not understanding someone would buy a big metal pan to put down in front of their grill. Apparently I wasnā€™t the only one. I will say that if I mistook your tone then it was unwarranted. I donā€™t think I did though. Iā€™m not a fan of grates systems that extend beyond the grill body. Not that I donā€™t like the idea of the system itself but for me personally, the trade off isnā€™t worth the aesthetic appearance or hassle of the cleanup. Now, if I had a space that I wasnā€™t concerned about the mess so much, which I donā€™t, then Iā€™d be all about it. Definitely a great idea for some. Itā€™s obvious you totally disregard me. šŸ˜‚šŸ¤¦šŸ¼ā€ā™‚ļø

Iā€™ll be the first to admit that I will bite back. In this instance you seemed to suggest I was really dumb for not understanding someone would buy a big metal pan to put down in front of their grill. Apparently I wasnā€™t the only one. I will say that if I mistook your tone then it was unwarranted. I donā€™t think I did though. Iā€™m not a fan of grates systems that extend beyond the grill body. Not that I donā€™t like the idea of the system itself but for me personally, the trade off isnā€™t worth the aesthetic appearance or hassle of the cleanup. Now, if I had a space that I wasnā€™t concerned about the mess so much, which I donā€™t, then Iā€™d be all about it. Definitely a great idea for some. Itā€™s obvious you totally disregard me. šŸ˜‚šŸ¤¦šŸ¼ā€ā™‚ļø
At the end of the day itā€™s all good, I respect everyone and hate none. Sorry for the initial confusion. Even though I like the idea of the sliding racks, in all reality laying a piece of butchers paper on top of the shelf (I have one on my 780) when putting meats on would be sufficient, I like my pan but it works for me.

Perfect for you Timmy, I'm jealous but they want $250 for 2 shelves for the 575.
I know, but I still went and ordered it. Waiting for delivery for months now. I am told it will be soon.

The way I justified it is that it is cheaper than buying a new bigger grill. I just need the extra space occasionally when I am cooking for a crowd.

I know, but I still went and ordered it. Waiting for delivery for months now. I am told it will be soon.

The way I justified it is that it is cheaper than buying a new bigger grill. I just need the extra space occasionally when I am cooking for a crowd.

I get it, I'd kinda love to have it. I know I'd cook different if I had this much space and options... veggies on top, etc.

I get it, I'd kinda love to have it. I know I'd cook different if I had this much space and options... veggies on top, etc.
I would be more likely to shell out $389 to more than double my cook space with a 780 than I am spend $269 for another 130 square inches on a 575. Totally worth it for the 780 but not so sure about the 575.

I would be more likely to shell out $389 to more than double my cook space with a 780 than I am spend $269 for another 130 square inches on a 575. Totally worth it for the 780 but not so sure about the 575.
Yes, all good points. If only I had bought the Pro 780, I wouldn't need the extra space! But the Pro 575 is what I have and I have to work with it.

So far my Traeger has been fabulous when coupled with FireBoard 2, so I like to continue with it until its time to upgrade. This rack system will allow me to do some extra things, like multiple racks of ribs for a party, or veggies on top with meat below as Slimpicker suggested. Also, sliding the racks out is really helpful for probing the meats, placing a smoke tube, etc.

Yes, all good points. If only I had bought the Pro 780, I wouldn't need the extra space! But the Pro 575 is what I have and I have to work with it.

So far my Traeger has been fabulous when coupled with FireBoard 2, so I like to continue with it until its time to upgrade. This rack system will allow me to do some extra things, like multiple racks of ribs for a party, or veggies on top with meat below as Slimpicker suggested. Also, sliding the racks out is really helpful for probing the meats, placing a smoke tube, etc.
Putting a drip pan under a big piece of meat to keep the smoker cleanā€¦.

Well, I got the 780 all cleaned out. Itā€™s been awhile for a thorough cleaning. Got the grate system installed. When the grates are pulled out over the front shelf, imo not much will hit the ground. There is approximately 1 1/2in in the front and maybe 3/4ā€ at the barrel that hangs over or is open to the ground . I preordered the system and got a pretty decent discount , I couldnā€™t pass that up. Iā€™d been debating it since late November on whether to purchase it. It takes the 780 up to 1601 square inches losing some head space with the middle grate installed. Itā€™s going to get used this Saturday so Iā€™ll post pics.
71AD32C1-C321-4166-A2C0-AF66D9BC11C4.jpeg
888B3793-3CBF-4E28-90F6-CFB62417DA52.jpeg
197D38F5-92E6-45D8-BE96-01AC3D5AFFF1.jpeg
73850BBA-C417-4DB5-B306-391189D1FF36.jpeg
112B77D2-DDD0-4611-88F5-33E79D1E1108.jpeg
CB2B87D9-2413-4344-94C7-6E8B684683CC.jpeg

Last edited:
Well, I got the 780 all cleaned out. Itā€™s been awhile for a thorough cleaning. Got the grate system installed. When the grates are pulled out over the front shelf, imo not much will hit the ground. There is approximately 1 1/2in in the front and maybe 3/4ā€ at the barrel that hangs over or is open to the ground . I preordered the system and got a pretty decent discount , I couldnā€™t pass that up. Iā€™d been debating it since late November on whether to purchase it. It takes the 780 up to 1601 square inches losing some head space with the middle grate installed. Itā€™s going to get used this Saturday so Iā€™ll post pics. View attachment 20663View attachment 20664View attachment 20665View attachment 20666View attachment 20667View attachment 20668
Sweet. Now what about that exhaust?

TIMMY, let us know if that exhaust causes any issues. Remember how my temp swings were with that MOD I did, which I thought was a completely innocent addon and never did notice the difference till I did a LONG cook.

Ahh ya like that? It came from Pimpmygrill also. I thought it was pretty cool too. šŸ˜Ž

TIMMY, let us know if that exhaust causes any issues. Remember how my temp swings were with that MOD I did, which I thought was a completely innocent addon and never did notice the difference till I did a LONG cook.
Yes I remember. Iā€™m gonna give it a try this weekend and see if the wind will affect it and see if the stack being wide open is an issue.

Back