Pro 780 exchange for Ironwood 650

Well, I picked up the Ironwood 650. I have both on the patio right now, seasoning the 650. I can tell already that I'm going to like it better. Definitely like the smaller foot print and the multiple options for the rack. If I need to cook more that it can hold, I also have a BGE, a Weber gasser, & a kettle. I wanted a pellet grill for convenience. Sometimes, I just want to cook outside and not have to build a fire.

Definitely worth the extra $54. 😜

Good for you, now I wish you the best, but you'll do just fine IMO

Well, I picked up the Ironwood 650. I have both on the patio right now, seasoning the 650. I can tell already that I'm going to like it better. Definitely like the smaller foot print and the multiple options for the rack. If I need to cook more that it can hold, I also have a BGE, a Weber gasser, & a kettle. I wanted a pellet grill for convenience. Sometimes, I just want to cook outside and not have to build a fire.

Definitely worth the extra $54. 😜

We are happy for you. Your want has been met.

The older I get the more I buy what I want not what I need.

In reality I did not need a pellet smoker but I wanted one. :ROFLMAO:

I have this really bad habit of buying something because it's what I think I want (usually I am saving some money). I get it and then regret not buying what I really wanted in the first place so then I go and buy what I should have bought in the first place.

So now instead of spending X and getting the right thing, I spent X + Y and have two of them! Yeah, I'm a real financial genius!

I have this really bad habit of buying something because it's what I think I want (usually I am saving some money). I get it and then regret not buying what I really wanted in the first place so then I go and buy what I should have bought in the first place.

So now instead of spending X and getting the right thing, I spent X + Y and have two of them! Yeah, I'm a real financial genius!

And, that's why you are Murphy's Law!!!!!
cheers.gif

Murphy and all we can keep learning from each other and get what we want the first time to minimize our overall cost. I like how we can empower each other to spend our money.

This has been an expensive Team to join as I got the Traeger. My simple mind thought I was done spending money for smoking food. Then find out I need a MK4. Then a multi-probe temp sensor to monitor cook and internal meat temps. Now need Grill Grates. It never ends but at least my cooks have transitioned from OK to exceptional.

Why did I have to open the thread about outdoor kitchens. Now I think I need an outdoor kitchen :oops:.

Murphy and all we can keep learning from each other and get what we want the first time to minimize our overall cost. I like how we can empower each other to spend our money.

This has been an expensive Team to join as I got the Traeger. My simple mind thought I was done spending money for smoking food. Then find out I need a MK4. Then a multi-probe temp sensor to monitor cook and internal meat temps. Now need Grill Grates. It never ends but at least my cooks have transitioned from OK to exceptional.

Why did I have to open the thread about outdoor kitchens. Now I think I need an outdoor kitchen :oops:.
Welcome to the club! I have a post somewhere around here about how much my “free” Traeger has actually cost me!

(I am now convinced I need a Big Green Egg to sit alongside my Traeger and Weber).

HUH???
I have a Timberline 1300, and it’s just my wife and I most of the time, but I definitely would not want the smaller unit.
It doesn’t take 5 bags of pellets to heat it up either, in fact, it’ll use about 1 bag ($10.00 worth) of pellets for a 20-23 hour brisket cook.

1 packer brisket will almost go end to end on that smaller one, and that doesn’t leave much room for sides.
Just my 2 cents!
I also have a T1300, I went with the larger unit, as the small vs large was only a 10% difference, so I thought why not…

The Pro780 is going back this weekend. Nothing wrong with it, I just like the Ironwood better.

When I was looking at getting a Traeger, I researched the Pro 34 heavily. I looked at the Pro 575 and 780 but those IMO were out of my price range. So the wife and I went looking, The Pro 34 was nice but the wife asked what wifire was. I didn’t know, so we asked. So then we started looking at the 575, but I wanted the size of the Pro 34 I still didn’t want to spend that kind of money. Bottom line…. the wife talked me into getting the 780, after resolving most of the issues, I’m glad I got it.

Congrats on your choice ,and hope to see some awesome cooks.

The Pro780 is going back this weekend. Nothing wrong with it, I just like the Ironwood better.
Great choice. I am sure you will enjoy the ironwood 650. I just brought the ironwood 885 and thought it was too big but turned out just the right size.

So, settling for 650 sq in for 2 people is OK in my book, I only have 575 and 2 people....
► have you used your 780 enough to like it as is???
► The Ironwood is a different build and yes it is double walled, etc.
► The first time you have something go wrong you're gonna think "I shoulda picked the other one"
► The ironwood can hold heat better but sometimes that has "blistering paint" issues... unless you do some insulating
► Don't make your choice over a lousy built in pellet sensor... or some shelf... those things don't COOK your food

View attachment 5969
I have a 780 and would not exchange it for anything... Why?
I have been learning all its quirks, and how the controller reacts to temperature changes...etc...
Its a bit painful to learn the issues and workarounds.
I feel that with the help of the FB, I can smoke very nicely with the 780 and aside from its quirks, it is really working well.
Like Slimpicker says, exchanging to a different unit is like a new beginning.
Good luck !
Puertex

I have a 780 and would not exchange it for anything... Why?
I have been learning all its quirks, and how the controller reacts to temperature changes...etc...
Its a bit painful to learn the issues and workarounds.
I feel that with the help of the FB, I can smoke very nicely with the 780 and aside from its quirks, it is really working well.
Like Slimpicker says, exchanging to a different unit is like a new beginning.
Good luck !
Puertex
My 780 is being delivered tomorrow? What quirks have you encountered?

What quirks have you encountered?
It's an imperfect machine and it has it's quirks... nothing you should complain about unless you're expecting PERFECT.
Puertex put it nicely when he said 'learn'... you don't have to learn your indoor oven, 400° for a pizza and 18 minutes later...
but a Traeger is not that perfect and I'm GLAD it's not, or you wouldn't 'learn' anything about smoking meat if it was!!!

WELCOME, browse the forums and .... well, learn. 👍

Take it away Puertex, you have the floor

Bought a 780 on May 5th - very happy- my second Traeger. I have cooked over 80 racks of ribs, 40 whole chickens, and 30lbs of pork butt.
I cook for large crowds freeze/refrig and finish on propane grill.

Latest Discussions

Back