Pro 575 Temperature Issues

'middle of the grill' is generally what I've been checking, and its not been close. I'll check again...I'm still cooking on mine probably every other day or so, most of what I cook needs ~350 so I just set at ~400-425. I usually have no issues with consistency, whatever temp it thinks its at it maintains very very well. Its just consistently higher than what I measure.

This may be a stupid question but one thing I have noticed on the Facebook group is multiple users putting their drip tray in the wrong direction. Any way that may be the case for some of you guys?

This may be a stupid question but one thing I have noticed on the Facebook group is multiple users putting their drip tray in the wrong direction. Any way that may be the case for some of you guys?
ha, that would be funny. Not me at least.

I don’t think that’s possible. Previous year’s Pro models have the smoke stack and controller on the opposite sides to the new models so maybe that’s what you saw,

Jordan

Traeger replaced the thermocouple and the controler. Temperature of the grill is fairly accurate compared to my external oven temp gauge , however the digital read out is still way off. Example - Grill is set at 225 deg external read out is 215 deg- grill read out is 245-260 deg. Wifire does now work with the addition of a booster.

Traeger replaced the thermocouple and the controler. Temperature of the grill is fairly accurate compared to my external oven temp gauge , however the digital read out is still way off. Example - Grill is set at 225 deg external read out is 215 deg- grill read out is 245-260 deg. Wifire does now work with the addition of a booster.
I think that's very close. You need to try the same experiment at a higher temperature. When the grill is set to 180F - 225F the temperature tends to swing back and forth quite a bit. When I set mine to 200F it sometimes cycle a bit between 180F and 225F before settling down and holding steady at 200F (as long as you don't open the lid).

Please try setting the grill to 400F or max (450F) and let us know what you are seeing.

Jordan

I rec'd a new controller (haven't rec'd a new RTD) installed it, updated to 01.01.01 and unfortunately when display says 450 the actual temp in barrel is 360. Doesn't look like a controller replacement was successful. Yet to test lower temps, but not achieving temps above 360 writes off doing many of Traeger's own recipes....

I rec'd a new controller (haven't rec'd a new RTD) installed it, updated to 01.01.01 and unfortunately when display says 450 the actual temp in barrel is 360. Doesn't look like a controller replacement was successful. Yet to test lower temps, but not achieving temps above 360 writes off doing many of Traeger's own recipes....
Seems to definitely rule out a controller problem. Has anyone systematically measured the temp at different locations inside the grill when the controller is set to something like 450? It would be nice to have real evidence on this point.

Seems to definitely rule out a controller problem. Has anyone systematically measured the temp at different locations inside the grill when the controller is set to something like 450? It would be nice to have real evidence on this point.
I think the issue is with the RTD. I don't know for sure but I suspect that they are waiting on a redesigned RTD to arrive and this (along with a software update) will solve everybody's issues. The weird thing is that RTD technology is very mature. Either the factory in China sourced a batch of faulty RTDs or the design and placement of the RTD within the grill doesn't quite work properly. The weird thing is the Ironwood has a similar RTD but its just in a different location within the grill (placed higher up near the top).

I think the issue is with the RTD. I don't know for sure but I suspect that they are waiting on a redesigned RTD to arrive and this (along with a software update) will solve everybody's issues. The weird thing is that RTD technology is very mature. Either the factory in China sourced a batch of faulty RTDs or the design and placement of the RTD within the grill doesn't quite work properly. The weird thing is the Ironwood has a similar RTD but its just in a different location within the grill (placed higher up near the top).
you're probably right (I hope you're right), but Traeger's official messaging on this has certainly been terrible. Thanks for the info on the Ironwood, I was just going to ask what the RTD was like on that model.

you're probably right (I hope you're right), but Traeger's official messaging on this has certainly been terrible. Thanks for the info on the Ironwood, I was just going to ask what the RTD was like on that model.
Here is a picture of the Ironwood 650. You can see the RTD is much higher up within the grill but the RTD looks to be the same unit as in the Pro 575.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-13 at 5.00.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-13 at 5.00.10 PM.png
    852.2 KB · Views: 352
Here is a picture of the Ironwood 650. You can see the RTD is much higher up within the grill but the RTD looks to be the same unit as in the Pro 575.
Looks like it sticks out quite a bit further too. Does it also have a sleeve of some sort around the thermocouple itself?

Looks like it sticks out quite a bit further too. Does it also have a sleeve of some sort around the thermocouple itself?
It doesn't stick out more. Its the same unit as the Pro 575. The funny thing is that the Ironwood doesn't seem to have any temperature issues. That's why I think the factory in China had a bad batch of RTDs that got built into the first shipment. That's also why Traeger stopped shipping replacement RTDs and is saying they will be in stock within a few weeks. I have no inside info. Just my guess.

As I've said many times, I like this grill and I've cooked some amazing dinners on it. I got a great discount on my 575 and I'm not returning it. I'll wait for the fix. Meanwhile, mine doesn't seem to be out by more than 20F-30F at the high end anyways.

Just baked pizza tonight. Grill is set to 450F. Thermometer inside shows about 415F - 420F. Not perfect but close.

Attachments

• 2237E458-271A-43E5-87D6-CD090A404332.jpeg
    2237E458-271A-43E5-87D6-CD090A404332.jpeg
    138.6 KB · Views: 128
  • 59C41046-ABAB-440A-84B7-17CD909CED19.jpeg
    59C41046-ABAB-440A-84B7-17CD909CED19.jpeg
    171 KB · Views: 133

Latest Discussions

Back