Pro 575 - Tell me things are better now!

My pleasure! BTW, what flavor pellets are you using? I used apple for the last bird and it was excellent. I'd be interested to learn what others are using and how they turn out.
I'm using Pit Boss Competition blend of Hickory, Maple, and Apple...in fact I've just cleaned out the hopper and am getting ready to get the bird prepared....hoping to have it on the grill by 11 am CT....hoping to be done around 4 ish

this is also my first time doing a turkey so we'll see haha

I'm using Pit Boss Competition blend of Hickory, Maple, and Apple...in fact I've just cleaned out the hopper and am getting ready to get the bird prepared....hoping to have it on the grill by 11 am CT....hoping to be done around 4 ish

this is also my first time doing a turkey so we'll see haha

Awesome! Happy Thanksgiving brother!

The difference between set temp and actual was 20 on mine and we're still trying to fix that. The good thing is that it's constant and I am able to compensate for it. Then my grill ceased connecting to the WIFI a couple of weeks ago but yesterday I was able to get it back up and running by forgetting the network and deleting and reinstalling the Traeger app on my iPhone. It quickly updated from the 01.01.04 firmware that it had to the latest 01.01.06 and I am soon going to fire it up for my 14 lb turkey that I have brined and cut in half. I am using hickory pellets for this cook but am experimenting with premium oak heater pellets, which are working well so far at 1/4 the price of smoker grill pellets.

The difference between set temp and actual was 20 on mine and we're still trying to fix that. The good thing is that it's constant and I am able to compensate for it. Then my grill ceased connecting to the WIFI a couple of weeks ago but yesterday I was able to get it back up and running by forgetting the network and deleting and reinstalling the Traeger app on my iPhone. It quickly updated from the 01.01.04 firmware that it had to the latest 01.01.06 and I am soon going to fire it up for my 14 lb turkey that I have brined and cut in half. I am using hickory pellets for this cook but am experimenting with premium oak heater pellets, which are working well so far at 1/4 the price of smoker grill pellets.

I'd be interested to learn if that update corrected the temperature error on your grill. Please post a follow-up.

It does not look like it fixed it, I appear to be running 30* less than set now.

i just now read the last part of your post....I don't think you are supposed to use heating pellets because they may have additives not meant for food in them! I trust you researched this before trying....

also to the OP my grill is running about 70 degrees hotter than it says it is.....I have a feeling this is going back to HD on Monday ..... I mean, I can manage the issue but you know electronics won't get any better

i just now read the last part of your post....I don't think you are supposed to use heating pellets because they may have additives not meant for food in them! I trust you researched this before trying....
I dug into it pretty well and spoke with other guys who do it (actually, it was their idea, not mine). There is no such thing as food grade pellets, even though it says that on the bags, it's a bogus claim. The outfit I use them from also makes smoker pellets and advertises that their heating pellets have no additives (who knows what's going into any of them really?). Also there are regulations on not using garbage in heating pellets and the amount of ash that I get is about the same. I haven't tried anything other than hickory and the oak heating pellets and other than the price I cannot tell the difference.

I am cooking a turkey today on it using their bourbon-orange brine repipe from their site. I'm 2 hours in with an hour+ to go on the cooking. Will repost on if its done on time (internal temp probe) or not. But I've cooked steak and burgers on it since I got it a week or so ago and they turn out delicious. My two buddies from college kept raving about the steak well into the next day. Again, tune back in below for an update on the turkey.

It was a rousing success. Every last person at the feast, young and old, from 5 to 83 years old declared it was the best tasting turkey they'd ever had. It was stated multiple times that this method must now be a tradition. I used the Bourbon Orange Brine recipe from the Traeger site. the bird reached internal temp (165 degrees) right as the recipe said (2 hours at 225, followed by 2 hours at 350). The outside temperature here in Minneapolis today had a high of 28 degrees. I do have the insulation blanket for the 22 series strapped onto it, it fits just fine if you run the straps through the holes on the back side panel. Worked great. Big fan of my new Traeger Pro 575,

It was a rousing success. Every last person at the feast, young and old, from 5 to 83 years old declared it was the best tasting turkey they'd ever had. It was stated multiple times that this method must now be a tradition. I used the Bourbon Orange Brine recipe from the Traeger site. the bird reached internal temp (165 degrees) right as the recipe said (2 hours at 225, followed by 2 hours at 350). The outside temperature here in Minneapolis today had a high of 28 degrees. I do have the insulation blanket for the 22 series strapped onto it, it fits just fine if you run the straps through the holes on the back side panel. Worked great. Big fan of my new Traeger Pro 575,

Glad to hear it was a huge hit! I might have to give that recipe a shot next month for xmas.

The newest firmware seems to help with reaching temps and when increasing the temps. Rather than pass by the set temp it gets close and gradually increases until it hits the target temp. Maintaining temp is impressive, it hangs right there better than I expected it to. I brined my turkey in a tea that I make out of salt, poultry seasoning and sage. I cut it in half and cooked it at 160 for one hour then increased it to 300 and it was done perfect in a total of 3 hours. The skin is crispy, the meat is moist and tender and the bird has a light smoke flavor. Now if we could just get the temp deviation corrected.

Just wanted to update everyone on my experience. Finally received my grill on Friday (after some shipping delays due to Snow here in the NE). Assembled it on Saturday and seasoned it. Really no issues to report at all (which is a relief). WiFi connected with no problem. I had read here that you have to connect to a 2.4ghz connection as a 5ghz won't work, but I tried the 5ghz anyway. A message popped up telling me that it has to be 2.4 and listed the available 2.4 connections available. Easy.

I made baby back ribs and they were done right on time (4 hr cook @ 250F). Temp on the app only fluctuated +/- 4 degrees at the most. Delicious, but maybe a bit dry (I'm being extra picky here). Surprisingly, very mild smoke flavor, which was fine. I see other rib recipes that start out at a lower temp to get more smoke flavor. Guess I'll try that next time.

Back