Pro 575 - Tell me things are better now!

tony4402

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575
Hello - Only my second post here. Don't even have my grill yet (ordered last night)! I'm seeing many posts from earlier in the year about temp and app issues. I'm assuming at least some of the issues have been fixed through firmware and app updates?? Make me feel better about my $1000+ order with Traeger!!

I have temp and WIFI connectivity problems, they sent me out one controller, which was defective and another is on backorder until some time in December.

Congrats and welcome!! The major problem people were having with the temperature swings and accuracy have mostly been fixed.

Do you have a smoker now?

Thanks. I’ve had Weber grills and smokers for many years. We’ve now moved to a condo, so needed to consolidate from a gasser, charcoal and charcoal smoker down to one unit. Hoping a Traeger can cover most of what those three could do

I bought mine before they were officially released. The actual temp was lower than the controller. Eventually they sent me a new probe, but I never installed it as the firmware update has resolved my issues. I love the Traeger, use it several times a week. Grilling, smoking, outdoor oven for things like lasagna etc. The only thing it does't do as well as my Akorn charcoal grill is steak and burgers. BUT it does those 'good enough' that I haven't rolled out the Akorn in months... Grilled filet mignon a couple of weeks ago, had just purchased the insulation blanket, was 32 outside, and the grill hit 450 easy and steaks were very good :)

Hello - Only my second post here. Don't even have my grill yet (ordered last night)! I'm seeing many posts from earlier in the year about temp and app issues. I'm assuming at least some of the issues have been fixed through firmware and app updates?? Make me feel better about my $1000+ order with Traeger!!
I bought a 575 PRO home on Monday....after the seasoning, my internal thermometer is like a hundred degrees low....I didn't know this until cooking some steaks and needing to sear them after smoking....then I turned up the grill to 450 and it only got to 350 on the grills thermometer....paniced, I finished the steaks on my trusty Weber.......then I found out with another thermometer that it was actually 450 plus inside......after reading how many are having/ have had issues with this I'm not sure what to do .... my fear is that it won't fix itself and may get worse ..... not trying to scare you, but it seems like there issues with the new PRO series units but if you get a good one hang onto it

I bought a 575 PRO home on Monday....after the seasoning, my internal thermometer is like a hundred degrees low....I didn't know this until cooking some steaks and needing to sear them after smoking....then I turned up the grill to 450 and it only got to 350 on the grills thermometer....paniced, I finished the steaks on my trusty Weber.......then I found out with another thermometer that it was actually 450 plus inside......after reading how many are having/ have had issues with this I'm not sure what to do .... my fear is that it won't fix itself and may get worse ..... not trying to scare you, but it seems like there issues with the new PRO series units but if you get a good one hang onto it
Have you updated the firmware as others have done?

Have you updated the firmware as others have done?
Yes sir....in fact I'm not having any issues with the WiFire feature......I called Traeger yesterday and the rep told me he would get back with me....I'm waiting....I also contacted the manager of the HD where I bought it just in case...for what it's worth, I've cooked on it 3 times and the food is delicious....but if the electronics are faulty they aren't gonna get any better and I am afraid I'll have an albatross ....when you read other forums there are a lot of people who have had issues with the new PRO series

I got a pro 575. Initially I was having temp issues. Not getting the high temps. Temp swings and inconsistent. Sent me a new temp sensor. Installed and same issues. Found the pellets is an issue. Lots of dust and it clogs up the auger and covers everything. I tend to use Traeger pellets and others. But even Traeger pellets if old or banged around bag can have too much dust.
I cleaned the crap out of the grill sucked and blew the auger tube out with the vac. I do this regular now, every 3-4 long cooks. And success. Steady temps. No swings. Temps are within a couple degrees of my own therms. I can get to 470 in minutes etc. Clean pellets, good quality and keeping the unit clean has worked for me and I bbq 3-4 times a week or more. The new controllers and units are more sensitive to this dust. My older tailgater can go longer between cleans but still same issue when full of ash and pellet dust.
I have friends with a pitboss and camp chef. All the same issue. If you don’t clean it enough or well enough it won’t perform.
I love my pro 575. It works great once you get used to how it works and it does everything I expect it to do. Sear not so much. Porchetta tonight and it came out great my wife does not like pork for the pork taste and she loved this one There are defective units out there and Traeger Canada customer service was the best helpers Traeger US just read from a flow chart useless. I was told from the Canadian guy they did have a batch of bad probes and controllers. Not sure what that’s worth but mine seems fine.

I got a pro 575. Initially I was having temp issues. Not getting the high temps. Temp swings and inconsistent. Sent me a new temp sensor. Installed and same issues. Found the pellets is an issue. Lots of dust and it clogs up the auger and covers everything. I tend to use Traeger pellets and others. But even Traeger pellets if old or banged around bag can have too much dust.
I cleaned the crap out of the grill sucked and blew the auger tube out with the vac. I do this regular now, every 3-4 long cooks. And success. Steady temps. No swings. Temps are within a couple degrees of my own therms. I can get to 470 in minutes etc. Clean pellets, good quality and keeping the unit clean has worked for me and I bbq 3-4 times a week or more. The new controllers and units are more sensitive to this dust. My older tailgater can go longer between cleans but still same issue when full of ash and pellet dust.
I have friends with a pitboss and camp chef. All the same issue. If you don’t clean it enough or well enough it won’t perform.
I love my pro 575. It works great once you get used to how it works and it does everything I expect it to do. Sear not so much. Porchetta tonight and it came out great my wife does not like pork for the pork taste and she loved this one There are defective units out there and Traeger Canada customer service was the best helpers Traeger US just read from a flow chart useless. I was told from the Canadian guy they did have a batch of bad probes and controllers. Not sure what that’s worth but mine seems fine. View attachment 837
thank you for that info! I too have been cleaning out the fire pot of dust and then adding a few pellets back in....the sensor still says about 50 degrees too cool, so it never says it gets to 450 but my own therm says 460 plus.....having read so many with this issue I'm on the fence on whether to return it or not....customer service is sending stuff but it will be the new year if I heard correctly ..... but I do like the things I've cooked on it! Delicious....I definitely want to have a pellet grill I just want my moneys worth I guess haha

Ya I hear ya. I say the same. Either it works and you get what you paid for or return it and get a new one.
I gave the techs a chance to fix it and they did. Of course I got mine from a Traeger guy. They want you to be happy so they even offered to send someone to look at it at my home if what they told me to check and do did not work.
the last step they told me was to clean the crap out of it including the auger tube. That worked on top of replacing the temp sensor.

Like several others have said, my 575 didn't start off well for me. I'm an old guy and have been charcoal/wood smoking for years. I have an excellent Thermoworks smoker thermometer set that I've found to be extremely accurate and reliable. The first time I tried to cook on the new Traeger I discovered that the grill's indicated temperature was over 50F higher than what my Thermoworks probe told me. Also, the grill refused to connect with my home's WIFI so my first cook (a batch of ribs) was a wild ride (although they did turn out pretty darned good). Overall I was quite disappointed in Traeger's quality control.

I ordered a WIFI extender from Amazon (Netgear unit for about $30) and, after setup, plugged it into the inside outlet nearest my grill. That resolved the WIFI issue as I did finally get the WIFI to connect (after several attempts). With that connection the grill downloaded the latest firmware updates. That fixed the majority of the temperature issue as on my next cook the difference was only about 10F. I've cooked several times since that and have resolved that I simply cannot rely on the grill's temperature setting to be accurate. I smoked a turkey last Sunday and set the grill temp to 310F, which it held quite nicely. Meanwhile my Thermoworks probe showed the 300F I was looking for.

On the bright side of this, the meat probe is spot on and the finished meats have been amazing! Smoked turkey has been my contribution to our family's Thanksgiving for years. The turkey I did last weekend was, without a doubt, the best ever. That was a trial run and, as I write this, our bird for this Thanksgiving is in the brine and will be on the smoker in a few hours.

Happy Thanksgiving and Blessings!

Last edited:
Like several others have said, my 575 didn't start off well for me. I'm an old guy and have been charcoal/wood smoking for years. I have an excellent Thermoworks smoker thermometer set that I've found to be extremely accurate and reliable. The first time I tried to cook on the new Traeger I discovered that the grill's indicated temperature was over 50F higher than what my Thermoworks probe told me. Also, the grill refused to connect with my home's WIFI so my first cook (a batch of ribs) was a wild ride (although they did turn out pretty darned good). Overall I was quite disappointed in Traeger's quality control.

I ordered a WIFI extender from Amazon (Netgear unit for about $30) and, after setup, plugged it into the inside outlet nearest my grill. That resolved the WIFI issue as I did finally get the WIFI to connect (after several attempts). With that connection the grill downloaded the latest firmware updates. That fixed the majority of the temperature issue as on my next cook the difference was only about 10F. I've cooked several times since that and have resolved that I simply cannot rely on the grill's temperature setting to be accurate. I smoked a turkey last Sunday and set the grill temp to 310F, which it held quite nicely. Meanwhile my Thermoworks probe showed the 300F I was looking for.

On the bright side of this, the meat probe is spot on and the finished meats have been amazing! Smoked turkey has been my contribution to our family's Thanksgiving for years. The turkey I did last weekend was, without a doubt, the best ever. That was a trial run and, as I write this, our bird for this Thanksgiving is in the brine and will be on the smoker in a few hours.

Happy Thanksgiving and Blessings!
if you don't mind me asking, what temp do you like to cook your turkey on the smoker? and do you probe the breast? I'm about to get my turkey out of the brine in a few minutes myself haha ... happy thanksgiving and God bless you as well!

if you don't mind me asking, what temp do you like to cook your turkey on the smoker? and do you probe the breast? I'm about to get my turkey out of the brine in a few minutes myself haha ... happy thanksgiving and God bless you as well!

I try to hold 300F. I use two probes, the grill probe as well as the second probe from my Thermoworks thermometer. One goes into the thigh meat and another into the breast.

Blessings!

Back