Pro 575 not achieving temperatures

PS. I asked the manager if I buy a treager what would be the return policy. He stated "we don't take returns on any grills or smokers that have been used". Really glad I didn't buy one there.

Based on all of this, I'm going to be returning my grill to Home Depot this weekend. Any one have an opinion for a good alternative?

I took my Traeger Pro 575 back to home depot. I then purchased a Rec Tec Stampede. It works perfectly. No temperature issues at all. I battled with Traeger for about 2 weeks over the Pro 575 and decided to just give up. Didnt want to waste my summer arguing with them and missing out on grilling.

I took my Traeger Pro 575 back to home depot. I then purchased a Rec Tec Stampede. It works perfectly. No temperature issues at all. I battled with Traeger for about 2 weeks over the Pro 575 and decided to just give up. Didnt want to waste my summer arguing with them and missing out on grilling.
The Stampede looks like an awesome grill for about the same price as the 575. Thanks for the pointer, I'll probably order one myself now.

I will be picking up a Green Mountain Jim Bowie tomorrow. I let you folks know how it does. I am not doing this to bash Traeger just to let those who are looking for an option what my thoughts are. I wish the 575 would have worked out better. Pretty disappointed and a quite a hassle all the way around. This is a great forum though. Very professional and informative. Thanks!

How can they possibly measure the temp in 3 different places when as far as I can tell there is only a single thermocouple lead to the controller? Also, if it was an average, how could it be 100 deg too high?
If it’s measured in three diff places how come they only send one RTD?

I will be picking up a Green Mountain Jim Bowie tomorrow. I let you folks know how it does. I am not doing this to bash Traeger just to let those who are looking for an option what my thoughts are. I wish the 575 would have worked out better. Pretty disappointed and a quite a hassle all the way around. This is a great forum though. Very professional and informative. Thanks!
I agree - this forum has been super helpful. I also wish my Traeger had worked out.

If it’s measured in three diff places how come they only send one RTD?
I think they calibrate the firmware based on the temperature that their test equipment measures at three different places in the grill. When I tested the grill using my infrared laser thermometer, the temperature varies quite a bit inside the grill depending on where you test. The single thermocouple May read one temperature but it may be hotter elsewhere. Hence the comment about three test points. Just my 2 cents...

I think they calibrate the firmware based on the temperature that their test equipment measures at three different places in the grill. When I tested the grill using my infrared laser thermometer, the temperature varies quite a bit inside the grill depending on where you test. The single thermocouple May read one temperature but it may be hotter elsewhere. Hence the comment about three test points. Just my 2 cents...
Umm, that could be true, but a method then that will guarantee a lot of negative feedback from owners. When my controller says 450F, my ThermPro probe placed next to the thermocouple generally reads about 375F (on a good day). That would mean there 2 other places in the grill that average 488F. If that's really true, then they've chosen to put the thermocouple in the wrong place. The Ironwood doesn't seem to have this problem and I would bet the thermocouple is in the same place as the 575. Of course it has double-wall insulation but I can't imagine it makes that much difference when the ambient temperate outside is in the 70s. Even my very old Traeger with both digital and dome thermometers were in better agreement than the 575.

So I am having the common temperature problems - 60-70 degree drops every 10-15 minutes, along with the true temperature being off 20-30 degrees. Called customer service over a month ago and spent over an hour on the phone with them before they decided to send me a new thermocoupler. I never received it, so called today and spent another hour on the phone, mostly on hold while he was checking the status. CS rep comes back on the phone and tells me the part is on backorder and will be for another few months......Pretty sad that they never called or emailed to give me an update.....My freakin $130 Masterbuilt smoker works better than this new Traeger.....Not very impressed to say the least, with the product or their customer service.

Again not bashing Traeger, I picked up a GMG Jim Bowie wifi last night. It is holding temps well. Definitely not off the mark. I checked it during burn in last night with a oven therm spot on at 350 degrees. Alot more cooking space vs. the 575 and holding temps well. Just letting you folks know who are looking for an option to the 575 issues. The pic on the right is the lid therm. Beer can chicken cooking right now! Have a great memorial day cook all.

15587292168681335340709.jpg1558729244517669818505.jpg

Attachments

• 15587292919961858332952.jpg
    15587292919961858332952.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 99
Again not bashing Traeger, I picked up a GMG Jim Bowie wifi last night. It is holding temps well. Definitely not off the mark. I checked it during burn in last night with a oven therm spot on at 350 degrees. Alot more cooking space vs. the 575 and holding temps well. Just letting you folks know who are looking for an option to the 575 issues. The pic on the right is the lid therm. Beer can chicken cooking right now! Have a great memorial day cook all.

View attachment 256View attachment 257
Looks encouraging. I also don't want to bash Traeger, but it's hard not to. I actually left a complaint on the Better Business Bureau website for them. I got a reply back today which essentially just asked to make sure I had the latest firmware installed and that the thermocouple reports the average temp in the grill. Same old thing. I had also left a note on the Home Depot reviews that Traeger also replied to. They again said there is nothing wrong with the temperatures in the Pro 575. I'm taking mine back tomorrow and I ordered a RecTec Stampede yesterday. Grilling with charcoal this weekend I guess.

Good luck with the Rec-Tec Kirk...Heard they are good ones. Nothing wrong with charcoal by the way!!

I have a new controller and RTD. Same problems with the read out. Set mine to 225 deg - readout on the grill holds at 260 deg. Actual temperature is 210. Also still no wifire. Their customer service is absolutely worthless. They just read from a manual and will tell you anything to get you off the phone.

Back