Pro 575 not achieving temperatures

Chandler

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575
I got my pro 575 about a month ago. From the beginning I was having problems with everything taking double the time to cook. I called Traeger and they immediately sent me a new rtd probe. I put it in and it was the same problem. I went and got a new oven thermometer and saw that my grill was anywhere from 100 to 125 off. I called Traeger again and they told me to just turn the grill up another 100 degrees because this is how Traeger grill are ......really. I went back to where I bought the grill and was told I needed a return code from Traeger in order for them to take it back. I was trying to support a small local hardware store. I guess this was a mistake also. So, I called Traeger yet again and asked to speak with a manager. She told me that an external oven thermometer is insignificant and that if my controller says it’s at 450/350/250 degrees than it is and that she can’t troubleshoot a “fully functioning” grill. I am beyond frustrated.

Update!! I contacted Traeger C.S. in order to check on when my replacement RTD probe would be sent out. After a 30 minutes on hold I was informed the RTD'S would not be back in stock until July. No firm date given. I asked if any further firmware updates were being considered. I was told ...."Not that we no of". For inquiring minds Cabelas has a 90 day return policy. Mine will be for sale in the bargain cave at weeks end! So long Traeger

What’s sad is the CS folks keep pushing the RTD as a solution but they don’t have any and I’ve seen no documentation that shows an RTD or a controller for that matter has resolved the situation.

It’s also sad that Traeger released products that are clearly not ready for prime time and have not released a statement or issued a buyback/stop sale on their faulty products. It’s unforgiveable for a company to operate in this manner.

They have registered owners email addresses by which they could address the issues with their customers assuring them they are aware of the issues and are working diligently to resolve them but as it is one would think they are either not aware or don’t care about current owners.

I for one am seriously considering returning my 575 in favor of a Pit Boss Pro 820. Its a solid unit with two exterior shelves and no WiFi. Only concern is apparently they can flare up in sear mode but hey it’s currently half the price of my less than fully functional 575. I’d consider a “low” tech (no D2) Traeger but I’m disappointed with Traeger as a company.

Im growing tired of waiting on Traeger to admit to their customers they are addressing the issue let alone providing a solution. I’m beginning to think it’s more than a firmware/software problem and is a hardware problem which is going to cost them dollars to make it right by exchanging parts.

I don’t know what ACE Hardware’s return policy is but I’m about to find out.

Well spoken. Not only does my grill have to be returned....but a front shelf and cover. Not fair to the sellers of the accessories as well. Traeger has obviously done what so many other companies have done. Their bottom dollar first, customer satisfaction....who knows where it lands on the list. Check out Green Mountain Grills or as mentioned Pitboss. Pretty crappy deal for all the consumers involved who purchased a 575. I don't mind working through issues with a manufacturer of any product that I purchase. Traeger has a significant issue with the 575 and fails to step up to the plate and admit it. I would not recommend a Traeger product to anyone at this point.

Good luck. I got mine at Ace Hardware. They won’t take it back without a claim code from Traeger. Traeger refusing to give me one.

I also just got off the phone with Traeger Support after sending an email with no response for a few days. They are sticking to their story that the temperature is measured in three different places and the controller reports the average, and it is correct. I disagree completely, the temperature is significantly lower than what the controller claims even when measuring the temperature in various places inside the grill. The proof is in the fact that a cook of a 2.25lb pork shoulder at "225F" got stuck at 145F, even after 10 hours. There is no way it should take this long unless of course the temperature of the grill is more like 180F or lower.

They claim the next step in the troubleshooting process is replacing the RTD, but I was also told they won't have them until July.

By the time July rolls around, I won't be able to return this grill to Home Depot so it looks like I'll be returning it before that happens and going with a competitor. To make matters worse, there is absolutely no way I can fit this grill in my car and I'll likely have to come out of my own pocket just to return this thing. So much for "set it and forget it".

Last edited:
I also just got off the phone with Traeger Support after sending an email with no response for a few days. They are sticking to their story that the temperature is measured in three different places and the controller reports the average, and it is correct. I disagree completely, the temperature is significantly lower than what the controller claims even when measuring the temperature in various places inside the grill. The proof is in the fact that a cook of a 2.25lb pork shoulder at "225F" got stuck at 145F, even after 10 hours. There is no way it should take this long unless of course the temperature of the grill is more like 180F or lower.

They claim the next step in the troubleshooting process is replacing the RTD, but I was also told they won't have them until July.

By the time July rolls around, I won't be able to return this grill to Home Depot so it looks like I'll be returning it before that happens and going with a competitor. To make matters worse, there is absolutely no way I can fit this grill in my car and I'll likely have to come out of my own pocket just to return this thing. So much for "set it and forget it".
How can they possibly measure the temp in 3 different places when as far as I can tell there is only a single thermocouple lead to the controller? Also, if it was an average, how could it be 100 deg too high?

I was told the same thing and then I asked how it could possibly be measured in three different places when there is only one probe. She didn’t have an answer for that

Based on all of this, I'm going to be returning my grill to Home Depot this weekend. Any one have an opinion for a good alternative?

I suspect they are reading from a script... If you say the magical words "temperature problem" they will simply read from a canned response about how they measure temperature. My guess is this script was written for a grill that does actually measure in three locations, but has not been updated for the Pro 575. I'll bring this up with the supervisor that is supposed to be calling me back, though I'm skeptical that will actually happen.

I also brought up the fact that if the temperature is measured in three locations and even just one of those is off by 50F it would significantly throw the average, and I've made numerous measurements that show this large of a disparity including directly next to the thermocouple. The response I got to this was a long silence followed by, "All I can tell you is what is written down here" more or less.

What’s sad is the CS folks keep pushing the RTD as a solution but they don’t have any and I’ve seen no documentation that shows an RTD or a controller for that matter has resolved the situation.

It’s also sad that Traeger released products that are clearly not ready for prime time and have not released a statement or issued a buyback/stop sale on their faulty products. It’s unforgiveable for a company to operate in this manner.

They have registered owners email addresses by which they could address the issues with their customers assuring them they are aware of the issues and are working diligently to resolve them but as it is one would think they are either not aware or don’t care about current owners.

I for one am seriously considering returning my 575 in favor of a Pit Boss Pro 820. Its a solid unit with two exterior shelves and no WiFi. Only concern is apparently they can flare up in sear mode but hey it’s currently half the price of my less than fully functional 575. I’d consider a “low” tech (no D2) Traeger but I’m disappointed with Traeger as a company.

Im growing tired of waiting on Traeger to admit to their customers they are addressing the issue let alone providing a solution. I’m beginning to think it’s more than a firmware/software problem and is a hardware problem which is going to cost them dollars to make it right by exchanging parts.

I had no issues returning my Pro 575 to my local Ace and exchanging it for an Ironwood 650.
Hopefully your Ace will take care of ya as well.

I had no issues returning my Pro 575 to my local Ace and exchanging it for an Ironwood 650.
Hopefully your Ace will take care of ya as well.
So how has the Ironwood been so far? Any temperature discrepancies at the high or low ends?

It’s been pretty spot on.
The only thing I’ve noticed is if I set it at 200 it seems to have a hard time getting there.But,when I set to 200 or even a little lower and enable super smoke,it seems to hold the temps pretty closely.
Using a cheap oven thermometer,at low and higher temps the Traeger has been within +\- 10-15 degrees of what the oven thermometer shows.

I was at my local Ace this morning. I asked the manager if he had heard anything about the problems I have read about on this forum. He stated he had not and further said Treager sent several smokers to them, told them to assemble and display them and a rep would be there in 3 days to train the employees. That was 2 weeks ago and no one has showed up. I still want to move up to a pellet smoker but after everything i have learned, to afraid to go with treager. I do want to thank all you guys on this forum for your info and posts.

I was at my local Ace this morning. I asked the manager if he had heard anything about the problems I have read about on this forum. He stated he had not and further said Treager sent several smokers to them, told them to assemble and display them and a rep would be there in 3 days to train the employees. That was 2 weeks ago and no one has showed up. I still want to move up to a pellet smoker but after everything i have learned, to afraid to go with treager. I do want to thank all you guys on this forum for your info and posts.

Latest Discussions

Back