Pro 575 no smoke

4deemoney

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575
I have the Pro 575 I'm having problem seeing any smoke coming from the grill. I set the temp at 225 everything seem to be alright but it don't start smoking until 3 hours later. I called customer service and they said I'm not suppose to see smoke in this model grill. Anyone know what this could be? It starts smoking 3 hours into the grilling

Hey welcome to the group and posting your first message. It seems to be a common first message.

Long story short, they are right, smoke is not something you see on most current pellet grills other than on start up. So don't let it concern you. Ultra white smoke adds a poor taste to meat and is not expected when running your grill in the smoke temps (180-225)

Good luck.

PS: Search will be your friend on here too.

Could the smoke that you're seeing a few hours in be mostly attributed to drippings? And I know we talk about TBS (thin blue smoke) but--while it may be faint--it seems to me that it should be visible to varying degrees. Sometimes, this could depend upon lighting conditions and/or the angle at which you are viewing. BTW, they show a heck of a lot of smoke on the PRO on their web site, lol.

Last edited:
Could the smoke that you're seeing a few hours in be mostly attributed to drippings? And I know we talk about TBS (thin blue smoke) but--while it may be faint--it seems to me that it should be visible to varying degrees. Sometimes, this could depend upon lighting conditions an

I have the Pro 575 I'm having problem seeing any smoke coming from the grill. I set the temp at 225 everything seem to be alright but it don't start smoking until 3 hours later. I called customer service and they said I'm not suppose to see smoke in this model grill. Anyone know what this could be? It starts smoking 3 hours into the grilling

When's the last time you cleaned it out? I've had mine go out twice, when on smoke mode. I vacuum it out and it's fine.
I'm wondering if I need a new igniter. Thoughts?

I have apro 400 and the only time it smoke Very much is at startup. I ordered a smoke tube off Amazon and fill it using Traeger pellets. With the tube full it will smoke for about 3 hours.

Same issue and same model Traeger. I just spoke with customer service as well, and he said "that's what Traeger is known for - clear smoke." So, rest assured my pork butt should be good tonight!

Same issue and same model Traeger. I just spoke with customer service as well, and he said "that's what Traeger is known for - clear smoke." So, rest assured my pork butt should be good tonight!
Let me know how it came out, I have not try a butt yet

Keep in mind that "smoke" is relative. Everyone talks about getting a "smoke" ring. But, it really has little to do with smoke and everything to do with the CO and CO2 created by the fuel you're burning. That's why "TBS" is really the ideal.

Seems there are 3 issues. True Blue Smoke is a visual issue. Smoke ring is also visual. What I'm really after is "taste." I'm a new Traeger owner, but I've been grilling for decades, and my favorite grill so far is the Big Green Egg. I bought the Traeger to replace my rusted out Weber propane grill, looking for a grill for quick & easy for just the 2 of us. So far I'm zero for two trying to get smoke flavor. Smoke was TBS. Smoke ring on pork butts was beautiful. But not a hint of smoke flavor on either the chicken or pork.

Let me know how it came out, I have not try a butt yet
My second Traeger effort was (2) pork butts. Used "Smoke" setting for 3 hours, then 225 degrees cook for 7 more hours. Removed from grill at 195 degrees internal. Meat would not shred with bear claws or forks. Had to cut it into chunks. Smoke ring was very pronounced. But there was zero smoke flavor. Tasted like it came out of the oven. A friend of mine modified his Traeger with a "Smoke Daddy", but of course drilling a mounting hole in the Traeger would void any warranty. Will be interested in hearing how your pork butts turn out.

My second Traeger effort was (2) pork butts. Used "Smoke" setting for 3 hours, then 225 degrees cook for 7 more hours. Removed from grill at 195 degrees internal. Meat would not shred with bear claws or forks. Had to cut it into chunks. Smoke ring was very pronounced. But there was zero smoke flavor. Tasted like it came out of the oven. A friend of mine modified his Traeger with a "Smoke Daddy", but of course drilling a mounting hole in the Traeger would void any warranty. Will be interested in hearing how your pork butts turn out.
Hi. I just did a bone in pork butt while at work a few days ago. I have the pro 575 so I can monitor and change temps when I'm away from home. The pork butt was a bit shy of 7 lbs if I'm remembering correctly. Put it on about 6 am @ 190°. Checked on it around noon and it was around 140° internal. Cranked up the temp to 225° and when I got home at around 4pm it was sitting at 161° internal. I cranked it up to 250° and wrapped it when it hit 165° internal (used butcher paper). It hit 203° in about 2 hrs. I let it rest in a cooler for an hour and then put on my clean grill gloves and simply pulled it apart. I have to say it was the juiciest pork I've ever done (probably should have drained all the juice that was coming out). It had pretty good bark but the taste was the best I've had from the traeger. Definitely had a nice smoke flavor. (I used the reserve special blend). Didn't do anything special to the pork. Just a generic pork rub. (Although I did season the night before and wrapped in plastic wrap). Don't give up on the traeger. I come from year's with a BGE and stick burners. They're all a bit different but that's the fun of BBQ'ing. Good luck!

SmokeDaddy also sells a fire shield that can take two compartments of wood chunks.

I just posted about it here:

It works great -- and definitely adds the smoke flavor I've come to expect with my WSM and Cookshack.

Downside is that it's expensive. But, as I say in the link above, the thing is built like a tank. I mean, it's a seriously big, thick hunk of metal.

I had some initial issues with the wood chunks catching fire and burning too quickly (and shooting my temps way, way up) but the issues are fixable with some air flow management.

Highly recommended.

I looked at SmokeDaddy's cold smoke generators -- but I wanted to try to Heavy D first -- at least before I start drilling into my grill.

The Heavy D fit perfectly into a Timberline 850. Drip pan fits right over it, still tilts down to the grease chute -- no issues.

Back