Pro 575 firmware current version

I leave mine unplugged except when using and when I start it I check to see if it's updating. Occasionally it does and when it does, it starts right away. I don't touch it until it's done. So far it's been working fine. Mine always reads hotter than it is and it is not linear so I ignore their readings and use the Fireboard.
Yup….

That's kinda what you need to do, but first look around these forums and read that one above, this problem is about as common as the grill itself. That's why we all have 3rd party probes from trusted brands.
You could have very well been only 190° and your Traeger said you were 210°, mine would.
Ah, man. That's really disappointing. I understand it's not a bad idea for any type of kettle/grill/smoker to have a known accurate outside temp. My fault on that, it was a rather impulsive purchase. I should've researched more into these things and looked into a more reliable smoker. May just return it, if I can.

Ah, man. That's really disappointing. I understand it's not a bad idea for any type of kettle/grill/smoker to have a known accurate outside temp. My fault on that, it was a rather impulsive purchase. I should've researched more into these things and looked into a more reliable smoker. May just return it, if I can.

You'd be "throwing the baby out with the bath water" if you returned the grill because of the temp probe, IMO. It's a great grill (I have the big brother but basically same model). Many brands have inaccurate temp probes and it's a cheap accessory, basically. There is a link here where you can get the Ink Bird for around $50 or so and that would be a great upgrade and offer a lot more functionality.

Consider this, my weber gas grill was $1000 and I got a cheap analog thermometer that probably cost around $5.

Consider this, my weber gas grill was $1000 and I got a cheap analog thermometer that probably cost around $5.
he speaks truth... EAZY, you would have to more than DOUBLE what you spent on the 575 to get a grill with FireBoard built in and your problem to go away, OR, just buy a fireboard for this grill and LEARN from here how to use it... Plenty of AWESOME FOOD cooked on a Traeger

You'd be "throwing the baby out with the bath water" if you returned the grill because of the temp probe, IMO. It's a great grill (I have the big brother but basically same model). Many brands have inaccurate temp probes and it's a cheap accessory, basically. There is a link here where you can get the Ink Bird for around $50 or so and that would be a great upgrade and offer a lot more functionality.

I can't tell if it's the temp probe or the firmware. Anything between 350-450, the controller reads and stays there within 10 degrees (often closer to around 5)

If I dip down <= 300 territory, that's when things get bad with the current vs set readings. I don't know if I'm understanding here, but are you saying that the smoker actually maintains a temp within a reasonable range (say within that 10 degrees), but I have to use this Fireboard instead for the real read out? Obviously what I do not want to do is to constantly fiddle with the temp setting to achieve the desired temperature.

Is it possible to replace the built in probe with a better, third party one (I'm supposing not if these are the recommendations).

I don't know if I'm understanding here, but are you saying that the smoker actually maintains a temp within a reasonable range (say within that 10 degrees), but I have to use this Fireboard instead for the real read out? Obviously what I do not want to do is to constantly fiddle with the temp setting to achieve the desired temperature.

OK maybe I'm misunderstanding your problem.
What is your exact problem? Just to be clear

OK maybe I'm misunderstanding your problem.
What is your exact problem? Just to be clear
The exact problem I'm having is that the grill "current" temperature reads much higher than what I've set at low temps, peaking at up to 50 degrees higher. E.g. I set it to 180, and it reads way higher, up to 230. This does not happen after 350. If I set it to 350, it stays 350-360. Same with 400, 450, etc.

So you were told an update would fix this??? I say post something on Traeger facebook or contact them again and see if a new controller is needed...

Now, your problem fixed or not, what we are saying is the Traeger RTD probe cannot be trusted to tell you the exact temp inside at all times. But you grill should at least try to maintain what you set it at... even tho in reality it can be 20° diff inside the grill...

More or less. I’ll reach out again and see what I can find and report back.

Attachments

• 1626901272457.png
    1626901272457.png
    534.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Called support today and spent an hour video chatting looking at the firepot, baffle, internals of the grill. She had me start it up at 165 and the thing climbed up to 280 before she had me shut it down. She's going to send a replacement controller. One agent (text above) tells me it's probably my current firmware, while the woman I was speaking with wasn't too concerned about it and said my version was fine. Not confident in this thing right now.

I think I have been watching too many videos by the Jeremy Yoder (The Mad Scientist), but he mentioned more than once the value of Tel-Tru Thermometers for offset smokers. I looked them up and they do make drop in dial thermometers for all types of grills. I found one for my Weber gas grill:

They are sold out at Tel-Tru but Amazon had it and it is only $28 and so I got it. It was a perfect fit and now I get much better readings from the Weber. I highly recommend this!

I think I have been watching too many videos by the Jeremy Yoder (The Mad Scientist), but he mentioned more than once the value of Tel-Tru Thermometers for offset smokers. I looked them up and they do make drop in dial thermometers for all types of grills. I found one for my Weber gas grill:

They are sold out at Tel-Tru but Amazon had it and it is only $28 and so I got it. It was a perfect fit and now I get much better readings from the Weber. I highly recommend this!

I remember him talking about those on his Franklin review. I honestly couldn't tell you how accurate my Weber is right now...I have never bothered to test it against the Fire Board! One of these days I will get around to doing a test (and on my Weber kettle, too!)

Tel-Tru is the stock therm on BGE. They are pretty spot on.

How is the firmware updated? Do I need to leave my grill plugged in and the switch on and it upgrades automatically overnight? Or power turned on and update the firmware via the control box? How can I tell which firmware I am using?

Back