Pro 575 consistently goes over set temp

BAR_M3

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575
I've had my Pro 575 for about 3 months and it's been awesome, we love it. But... in the last two weeks I've noticed it will not stay at set temp. This has happened a few times before the upgrade so I don't think it is upgrade related.
For example I will set it at 180 to smoke something for a while, I do the standard start it up set it and then let it go for at least 15 minutes so it settles out. Problem is, it never seems to settle down. It is consistently going to 220 or so when it is set on 180. It is pretty hot here north of Atlanta, usually 90 -95 in the afternoon/evening, but I have a large umbrella over it so it is not in direct sun. I can turn it down to 165 and it will still hover around 205-210.
It's driving me nuts that it is running that high over the set temp! I would completely understand 5 or even 10 degrees, but 40 ?!
When I crank it up to actually do some grilling it tends to do the same thing, maybe not quite as high over set, but about 20 or so above what the set temp is.
It is clean, good pellets, etc...
Anyone encounter the same issue or have anything I should look at before calling CS?
Thanks in advance!

Mine has never done that. I would suggest a call. Do you clean the temp probe after each cook? because that was my problem when I first used mine.

I’m noticing the same thing today, it is hot here today but it is set at 165f and the grill is at 200... I thought it was because it’s in the sun

Mine has never done that. I would suggest a call. Do you clean the temp probe after each cook? because that was my problem when I first used mine.
No, I have not seen anything before about cleaning that probe off. What do you use to clean it?

I’m noticing the same thing today, it is hot here today but it is set at 165f and the grill is at 200... I thought it was because it’s in the sun
I thought that initially, but then since I have it in shade under an umbrella, and also with it going at least 40° higher? That just doesn’t make any sense when the ambient temp is only around 90 or so.

I took my Pro 22 back to Home Depot today cuz when set at "smoke" which is supposed to be 165, it went as high as 245!!!! 245 and stayed there for 30 minutes...
I WAS gonna go ahead and get the 575, same size as the 22 but has the better controller...

All I want to do is smoke for JERKY at a low temp consistent!!! But if 575s have the same problem.... HELP DAVE

GRILL START-UP GUIDE

WHY IS THIS IMPORTANT?
Following the correct start-up process is very important as it can have many different affects on your cook, even hours in. Started incorrectly grills may experience temp swings, flame outs, and many other issues. Please review the below chart to find out which start-up process is used for your model.

REFERENCE INFORMATION:

Several grill models produced in 2016 or later now follow a simplified start-up process. See the table below, and instructions on how to find the model # (SKU) to see if your grill should use the new start-up method.
this

FINDING THE GRILL MODEL NUMBER
  1. Open hopper lid
  2. Look for the bar code sticker underneath the words "Attention Serial #"
  3. The first alpha/numeric combination is the model number, then separated by the year it was produced and the month.

NOTE
If the model number is not found in the closed lid start-up process, assume it is an open lid process.

START-UP PROCESS
CLOSED LID START-UP PROCESSOPEN LID START-UP PROCESS
  1. When ready to cook, set your Traeger grill directly to the desired temperature and preheat with the lid closed for approximately 15 minutes.
  1. When ready to cook, set your Traeger grill to the smoke setting with the lid open
  2. Wait for the fire to establish (approximately 4-5 minutes)
  3. Close Lid
  4. Increase the temperature to the desired temperature and preheat for approximately 10-15 minutes

2019 CLOSED LID START-UP GRILL MODELS

DESCRIPTIONMODEL #
Timberline 850 D2TFB01WLE
TFB01WLEC
Timberline 1300 D2TFB85WLE
TFB85WLEC
Ironwood 885 D2TFB89BLE
TFB89BLEC
Ironwood 650 D2TFB65BLE
TFB65BLEC
Pro 575 D2TFB57GLE
TFB57GLEC
TFB57GZE
TFB57GZEC
Pro 780 D2TFB78GLE
TFB78GZE
TFB78GLEC
TFB78GZEC

2018 CLOSED LID START-UP GRILL MODELS

DESCRIPTIONMODEL #DESCRIPTIONMODEL #
Timberline 850TFB85WLBRenegade ProTFB38TOD
Timberline 1300TFB01WLBTexas Elite 34TFB65LZB
TFB65LZCC
Timberline 850 D2TFB85LLDSelect EliteTFS60LZC
TFS60LZCC
Timberline 1300 D2TFB01LLDHeartlandTFB52QCC
TFB52QPC
TFB52QGC
TFB52QZC
Pro Series 20TFB52PUDCentury 34TFB88PLD
Pro Series 22TFB57PZB
TFB57PUB
TFB57PUBC
Century 22TFB57CLB
TFB57CLBC
Pro Series 34TFB88PUB
TFB88PZB
TFB88PUBC
IronwoodTFB89SLC
SilvertonTFS62PLDLil' Tex Elite 22TFB42LZB
TFB42LZBC
TFB42LZBO
RangerTFT18KLDEastwood 22TFB42DVB
TFB42DVBO
Eastwood 34TFB65DVCSelect ProTFS81PUC
TFS81PZC
TFS81PZD
TFS81PZDC
Junior 20 (RoadShow)TFB29PLDSilverton (Roadshow)TFS62PLD TFS62PLDC

2017 CLOSED LID START-UP GRILL MODELS

Timberline 850TFB85WLBSelect EliteTFS60LZC
Timberline 1300TFB01WLBLil' Tex Elite 22TFB42LZB
TFB42LZBC
TFB42LZBO
Pro Series 22TFB57PUB
TFB57PZB
TFB57PUBC
Texas Elite 34TFB65LZB
TFB65LCBC
Pro Series 34TFB88PUB
TFB88PZB
TFB88PUBC
Century 22TFB57CLB
TFB57CLBC
Renegade EliteTFB38TCAEastwood 22TFB42DVB
TFB42DVBO
Select ProTFS81PUC
TFS81PZC
Eastwood 34TFB65DVC

2016 CLOSED LID START-UP GRILL MODELS

Pro Series 22TFB57PUB
TFB57PZB
TFB57PUBC
Lil' Tex Elite 22TFB42LZB
TFB42LZBC
TFB42LZBO
Pro Series 34TFB88PUB
TFB88PZB
TFB88PUBC
Texas Elite 34TFB65LZB
TFB65LZCC
Select ProTFS81PUB
TFS81PZB
Century 22TFB57CLB
TFB57CLBC
Select EliteTFS60LZAC

I do think it's hot weather interference, the controller has a minimum pellet feed rate to keep the fire going, if you set to 165 and it's consistently hotter, it's probably the hot weather. You will know for sure when it cools down outside.

I do think it's hot weather interference, the controller has a minimum pellet feed rate to keep the fire going, if you set to 165 and it's consistently hotter, it's probably the hot weather. You will know for sure when it cools down outside.

That makes tons sense..
That tells me the thermometer has a base temperature that is affected by "already being at" 90 degrees and can't climb ONLY 75 degrees to stop at 165, and that I understand... but jumping to 245?

So when Traeger says:
Following the correct start-up process is very important as it can have many different affects on your cook, even hours in.
.. I guess they know this is a flaw

just the night before, at 350 it was holding very close, but that first 30 min at 180 to get smoke was way off...

I'm wondering if there is a trick to get low temps in the heat of summer... like go HIGH for 30 then go way back to low...

Last edited:
As I mentioned earlier, I did give it a thought with what the ambient temp has been, but this only started in the last two weeks and it has been in the 90's for a few months here in GA and it was working as it should before. If there is truly an issue that the auger can only go down to a certain RPM, but still keep running, then that was a poor design on their part. It is able to ramp up RPM to get hotter when needed, it only makes sense that you would design the system to do whatever it needs to maintain the set temperature - even if that means stopping the auger for a bit if necessary. I don't recall it saying that "if you are further south than Canada in the summer, don't expect to achieve anything less than 220" .
I still do not want to believe that they would make a faulty product that cannot achieve a set temp, and if this is the case then I can't explain why it was working as expected the last couple of months.

and if this is the case then I can't explain why it was working as expected the last couple of months.

or why mine did hold 180 when I first got it and that was only 3 weeks ago in the same temp weather...

it needs to maintain the set temperature - even if that means stopping the auger for a bit if necessary

Before learning how these work, I kinda thought it was capable of doing that actually, but then it would have to sense the condition of the firepot to stop feeding and starting up at the perfect time to make sure they catch on fire again? Probably impossible to design that way

or why mine did hold 180 when I first got it and that was only 3 weeks ago in the same temp weather...

Before learning how these work, I kinda thought it was capable of doing that actually, but then it would have to sense the condition of the firepot to stop feeding and starting up at the perfect time to make sure they catch on fire again? Probably impossible to design that way
Seems like they could simply base the speed of the auger just by monitoring the temp and doing an ignite again if necessary, if the auger had to pause for a bit because the temp is 40 -50 degrees above where it is set. Just seems like letting it be that far over the set temp is not acceptable.

Going to try smoking something today and will report back. Hoping to hold a temperature of 225f for most of the day. It’s meant to be 30c here in Canada today (about 90f), still wonder if it’s the temperature outside affecting it.

Just started it and set the temperature to 225, currently at 285. Going to let it sit for 15 mins and see if it stabilises

Just started it and set the temperature to 225, currently at 285. Going to let it sit for 15 mins and see if it stabilises
Ugh!! I feel your pain on that! Hopefully it came down at least closer to where you need it.

Latest Discussions

Back