Pro 34 cutting off on long overnight cooks

Mr.Fabulous

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 34
I have had great success with my Pro 34 so far, but twice now when I have been doing long overnight cooks, I get awoken by my low temp alarm to find out that my fire is out. Fan is still running.

What it is not: pellets: both times were on fresh pellets (from the store, and I keep them in buckets with gamma seal lids

Cleaning: I clean my T at least every other cook, and always clean after cooks of 4 hours or longer, or when I am changing protein. This includes the built-in temp probe.

1st time this issue occurred was a month ago when I was cooking pork shoulder. Low temp alarm went off about 5 hours into the cook. Came outside to check, temp was slowly dropping. Pulled everything off, took out grate, pan, and shield to find a scant number of unburnt pellets in the firebox along with ash. Scooped everything out, restarted, and made sure I got ignition before putting everything back on and returning the meat to the grill. I had temp originally set at 180, but bumped it to 225 after that issue, and we trundled along just fine for the rest of the cook.

2nd time just happened. Low temp alarm woke me up after about 7 hours into the cook. Started at 225 this time. On this occasion there was substantially more pellets in the firebox, probably close to half full. My solution was the same this time as last, pull, remove, scoop out, replace, continue. Again, fresh bag of pellets, and I just cleaned the T before the start of the cook.

Planning on placing a call to customer service when they open, about 7 and a half hours from now. Hopefully I won’t have to edit this message and add a 3rd incident.

If anyone has experienced a similar issue, I would love to hear about it and you’re solution.

Thanks folks

Not yet with my 575 Pro but it did drop real low once and reignited itself. I was monitoring it when it happened and just watched to see what it would do. It re-lit and nothing since.

Called customer service. They are trying to pin it on low overnight temps an low cooking temps. Both times the overnight low was not below 70 Fahrenheit. Their solution was to smoke at temps of 250 and higher. The first solution was adjust the P setting (which my controller does not have. The rep backpedalled hard when I pointed that out).

Was able to talk her into shipping me some parts on warranty. My grate has a separated weld, and my drip tray has developed a wicked warp.

That grill SHOULD run all night on SMOKE. I suspect the problem is in the hopper where the pellets can create a tunnel and stop filling the auger which can cause it go out. My Century 22 Version 2 from Costco is notorious for this. Very poor hopper design.

My Ironwood 885 has run overnight at 210 without issue, but I top off the pellet hopper before going to bed.

Both times I did not have a tunnel. I have a 2 lb weight sandwiched between 2 pieces of cardboard and wrapped in foil that I lay on top. That keeps the tunnel to a minimum. I also top off before calling it a night.

Both times the auger was fully primed. I could see pellets for m the auger.

I have the pro 22, and am having a similar issue. I set it at 225 After 2.5-3 hours the temperature starts dropping and then I get the low temp code and the grill shuts off. I try shutting it down and restarting and the temp goes up to high, 400+degeees. Even though it is set at 225. I have to remove everything, shut it down, clean everything out and start again. Then 2.5-3 hours later it does the same thing. I have been using only traeger pellets, clean it out before each use. I emailed traeger since it always happens outside business hours, and they send me a blank email. Said its a trouble shooting guide. I email them i got nothing, and they finally send me the “troubleshooting guide”, same one that is on the website And talks about temperature variations. Not shutting down. I had to go out of town and didnt get to check the procedure that had nothing to do with my problem fast enough, So i get an email that they are closing my file since i didnt respond back.
If you can figure out why it does this please let me know. I have used this grill less than 10 times, but im at the point where i am regretting buying this traeger.

Don't bother with contacting Traeger for help. They are less than helpful. I've had the same issues. The response I got was that it's not designed to be left unattended for a long cook.
I believe that is exactly what they told me when I bought it.
It ruined 2 dinners for me. With not even a recommendation as to how to correct the issue.

Don't bother with contacting Traeger for help. They are less than helpful. I've had the same issues. The response I got was that it's not designed to be left unattended for a long cook.
I believe that is exactly what they told me when I bought it.
It ruined 2 dinners for me. With not even a recommendation as to how to correct the issue.
I contacted traeger, and after 18 emails back and forth they are sending me a new control unit. Then i get and email that says the part is back ordered. ?

They sent me one last week and it was defective, the thermocouple connector wouldn't let the end in and they told me they're on backorder now as well.

Same issues here. Pro series 2016. Replaced controller. I have come to the simple conclusion that Traeger’s suck. looking at a Weber. I am finding out that there are more folks with Traeger problems than not

The private equity folks stepped in when the founder sold out: and the accountants hired a tennis shoe salesman who is an expert in both internet marketing and of course giving customers with Real problems caused by defective foreign-made controllers the “runaround”.

Latest Discussions

Back