Portable battery power for the Ranger

Pogo007

Reaction score
Grill
Ranger
Looking for recommendations for a portable battery to power my Ranger. Considereding Ecoflow and Goal Zero Yeti models but not sure what models or stats I should be looking for.

Last edited:
When I bought the PTG at Costco a ways back, it came with an inverter to use by plugging it into a lighter socket in a car.

You can get a decent Deep Cycle trolling battery and inverter for under $150 and it will keep your Ranger going for days in the wild.

When I bought the PTG at Costco a ways back, it came with an inverter to use by plugging it into a lighter socket in a car.

You can get a decent Deep Cycle trolling battery and inverter for under $150 and it will keep your Ranger going for days in the wild.
Thanks for this feedback but I'm not interested in using an inverter since I don't have a car.

Thanks for this feedback but I'm not interested in using an inverter since I don't have a car.
Regardless of a car, you need a 120V AC source to power the grill. You can get a cheap 12V to 120V "inverter" and 12V battery, or one of the newer combined battery/inverter units like Goal Zero etc. with an outlet on them.

Regardless of a car, you need a 120V AC source to power the grill. You can get a cheap 12V to 120V "inverter" and 12V battery, or one of the newer combined battery/inverter units like Goal Zero etc. with an outlet on them.
Exactly, but how many peak watts and how many Watt-hours will a battery station like a Goal Zero require for a average use. Knowing this will help me pick a particular model. Thanks

How long are you looking to operate it away from AC power?

I have my Traegers connected to UPS that uses a 7Ah battery and I can get almost 2 hours out of it if needed. I would imagine something like this would do the same. It all depend on how long you expect to be using it.

1615211192018.png

My Timberline draws 98W at ignition, then drops to 15watts during normal operation. So any modest backup battery unit can handle that for quite a while.

My Timberline draws 98W at ignition, then drops to 15watts during normal operation. So any modest backup battery unit can handle that for quite a while.
Thanks RemE. Traeger tells me that the Ranger draws 300W initially but was unable to tell me what the wattage draw would be after ignition. I suspect it to be 30W at most.

I'd be surprised if the measured draw was that high at startup. Grab a cheap watt meter and see. It's the hot rod ignitor that pulls the most power for the first 10 min, then it's the controller, fan, and auger which draw little.

Attachments

• 03EC7275-154A-497C-A435-63BCA5622C78.jpeg
    03EC7275-154A-497C-A435-63BCA5622C78.jpeg
    194.1 KB · Views: 79
I'd be surprised if the measured draw was that high at startup. Grab a cheap watt meter and see. It's the hot rod ignitor that pulls the most power for the first 10 min, then it's the controller, fan, and auger which draw little.
I would think that Traeger would know what the draw was in the ignition stage and they say it's 300W and, in fact, recommended a battery station that can support peak 400W.

Stated max draws are seldom what is measured. That said 300-400W unit is small.

Turns out I can now give an answer to the initial post, by me, to this thread. Today I attached an energy meter to my Ranger and grilled some chicken at 375 degrees Fahrenheit. From the time of ignition and for a period of approximately 5 minutes my Ranger was drawing an average of 237 watts. For the remaining 62 minutes it was drawing an average of 30 watts. With this in mind I figure a battery station that can handle a peak 300 watts with a 250 watt-hour capacity will likely handle most any grilling task. So I think I may be purchasing an EcoFlow River portable power station

Turns out I can now give an answer to the initial post, by me, to this thread. Today I attached an energy meter to my Ranger and grilled some chicken at 375 degrees Fahrenheit. From the time of ignition and for a period of approximately 5 minutes my Ranger was drawing an average of 237 watts. For the remaining 62 minutes it was drawing an average of 30 watts. With this in mind I figure a battery station that can handle a peak 300 watts with a 250 watt-hour capacity will likely handle most any grilling task. So I think I may be purchasing an EcoFlow River portable power station

Nice. It looks like EcoFlow River does not accept a 3 prong grounded AC plug, so you will need an adapter.

Back