Pork Shoulder

Big Man Dan

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
I want to do a pork shoulder this weekend and I would like to prep it the night before. Can you put the rub on and then wrap it in plastic or foil and leave it in the fridge overnight so you can start smoking first thing in the morning?

Of course you can...

I want to do a pork shoulder this weekend and I would like to prep it the night before. Can you put the rub on and then wrap it in plastic or foil and leave it in the fridge overnight so you can start smoking first thing in the morning?
I did my first pork shoulder a few weeks ago. I injected with Kosmo pork injection then out 2 different rubs. I did this all around me 11pm then started the smoking process the next day around 7am. It was in the frig on an aluminum tray cover with foil. It came out pretty good.

Coat it in yellow mustard, then apply a rub. Brown sugar, chipotle, ancho, paprika, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, etc. What ever you like. Wrap it in Saran wrap and put in the fridge. Pork shoulder/butt is the most forgiving meat. It's hard to 'eff one up. Just take it to 205° internal temp if you want to pull it.

If it’s good sized, I’d start it the night before n let it ride overnight around 190f.

If it’s good sized, I’d start it the night before n let it ride overnight around 190f.
I'll be going with one on the smaller side because it's just for my wife and me. But thanks for the tip!! I'll keep that in mind for when I cook for a larger group.

For those making pulled pork this weekend, I would highly recommend looking at the hot vinegar recipe on the Traeger app. Search for “hot vinegar” and you should find it along with a pulled pork recipes.

I have a 14 pounder in the fridge. Will probably cut it in half. I love pulled pork!

Question for those who don’t wrap - do you put it in a pan at anytime during the cook to collect the juice? I have a Pro so I can’t (easily) put the shoulder on one shelf and the drip pan on another

yes, I do this all the time.. this past weekend I did two - one the regular way (Rub, Smoke, wrap @165, cook to 203), the other I followed the recipe from Meat Church... LOVED it!!

For those making pulled pork this weekend, I would highly recommend looking at the hot vinegar recipe on the Traeger app. Search for “hot vinegar” and you should find it along with a pulled pork recipes.

I have a 14 pounder in the fridge. Will probably cut it in half. I love pulled pork!

Question for those who don’t wrap - do you put it in a pan at anytime during the cook to collect the juice? I have a Pro so I can’t (easily) put the shoulder on one shelf and the drip pan on another
I’m assuming you aren’t gonna wrap until it’s done and you pull it.
If you put it in a pan during the cook, it won’t get nearly as much smoke.
After you wrap it, you could set it in an aluminum foil “boat” while resting, and catch the juices that way.

I’m assuming you aren’t gonna wrap until it’s done and you pull it.
If you put it in a pan during the cook, it won’t get nearly as much smoke.
After you wrap it, you could set it in an aluminum foil “boat” while resting, and catch the juices that way.
I usually wrap around 165 or so and crank the heat and put it in a foil pan to catch all the juice so this time I was going to go commando through the cook and wrap before it goes into the resting cooler (which according to Amazon is out for delivery!).

I figure at 165 it has probably got all the smoke it's going to get and raising the temp would lessen the smoke impact anyway, so perhaps put it in a pan then; however, I do like your idea of just riding it out on the grill and catch the juice once it's resting.

Latest Discussions

Back