Pizza Steel

RustyJake

⚒️ Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
Has anyone tried the pizza steel as opposed to the pizza stone on their Traeger? I just picked up a Vermont Casting pizza steel, haven't tried it yet. Figured I'd see if anyone had used one before and had any tips or suggestions for using it. I have used the stone in the past and needed to get a new one and thought this might work better. The metal grill grates work so well, I figured this could double for cooking other things or searing as well as pizzas and breads

Interesting, I've never seen a steel pizza plate. I always thought that the stone ones were better for pulling moisture out of the crust. But any hot surface should vaporize moisture as well.

Interesting, I've never seen a steel pizza plate. I always thought that the stone ones were better for pulling moisture out of the crust. But any hot surface should vaporize moisture as well.
It has been getting great reviews, even for baking breads on it. I figured that with the abuse it may see it was more resilient than ceramic.
I may get motivated to make a pizza tomorrow night.

Yeah - we picked up the Lodge 14" Cast Iron Baking Pan (https://www.lodgecastiron.com/product/cast-iron-baking-pan?sku=P14P3) with the intention of using it for pizza ... haven't tried it out yet ...
I saw one of those at Cabela's. Looked really nice. Definitely HEAVY. Nice with the handles on it though. I was surprised how heavy this plate is being only 1/8" thick. This might be a little easier for me to store, so that was part of my decision making process

Following! We cook Pizzas a lot, so definitely interested to see how well these work. Also, they have some pretty nice looking Pellet Grills. Never heard of that company before.

I do love the idea of a more compact and un-breakable pizza plate for the grill. I think I might snap one up, take it to my sheet metal place and have them fold a lip in the rear as a pizza stop?

I do love the idea of a more compact and un-breakable pizza plate for the grill. I think I might snap one up, take it to my sheet metal place and have them fold a lip in the rear as a pizza stop?

I like that idea!

I have a Baking Steel works fantastic for pizza, smashburgers, scones, pancakes, bacon, Pretzels.
Don't use the oven very much. Also they have some good you tube videos on using a steel. Did a calazon the other day. Perfect.
Just make sure to preheat your steel. I do 415 to 425 for around 45 minutes before doing a pizza. Homemade pizza dough!
English Muffins from scratch
Great addition to the Traeger!! IMHO

Attachments

• 20200525_093736.jpg
    20200525_093736.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 81
I would say the cook was a success for pizza. Being metal this option is far more forgiving for use outdoor.
20200804_171139.jpg20200804_172013.jpg20200804_172752.jpg

If you use a peel and semolina flour it will slide easily onto your hot steel.

If you use a peel and semolina flour it will slide easily onto your hot steel.
Yes. The peel i have is a wooden one, and a tad awkward to use due to it's thickness. I had corn meal on it, just not enough to get it to slide. The steel wasn't an issue, it didn't stick there at all
I will be purchasing a steel peel for future use

Yes i had the wooden as well and ended up with a calazon!! Amazon has them.

Latest Discussions

Back