Permanent Probe Location

Slimpicker

⚒️ MODERATOR
Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575 Bronze► OKJoe's Longhorn Combo► WeberQ Gasser ►Weber kettle► UDS ► Inkbird Sous Vide
I wanna get the FireBoard Threaded Ambient Probe https://www.fireboard.com/shop/ambient-probe/

So, Suggestions on where to locate it on a 575... I'm thinking around the stack somewhere higher than the Traeger RTD...
RemE has his ambient real high inside his drum but that's in a 'stackless' grill... I don't think straight across from the Traeger RTD is any good cuz I can always just put a TEMP one there mounted on my grill.

granted, i won't be wanting exact grill temps where my meat is... but this can be another gauge to go by knowing the difference between center of grill and what this new probe reads.

If this were a regular smoker you would put one thru the lid and read the dial... I have no fear of installing one, I just want it to be in the most thought out place

Last edited:
I put mine right next to the Grill's temp probe. Currently, comparing the Fireboard with the new controller they are about 6F apart (Fireboard reads higher) in the low range and pretty close above 225F.

Frankly, all that matters to me is a consistent measurement, so that my documented successful cooks will be easily repeated.

I have my fireboard always by my Grill temp probe, I'm about 20+° difference, I just want to put this where I can have a 2nd benchmark to go by.

My Fireboard Ambient Probe 1 is mounted on a piece of stainless Plumbers tape about 1 inch from the Traeger Grill temp probe on the right. My Fireboard Ambient Probe 2 is mounted in the same location on the left. This gives me my Temperature gradient across the grill.

I wanna get the FireBoard Threaded Ambient Probe https://www.fireboard.com/shop/ambient-probe/

So, Suggestions on where to locate it on a 575... I'm thinking around the stack somewhere higher than the Traeger RTD...
RemE has his ambient real high inside his drum but that's in a 'stackless' grill... I don't think straight across from the Traeger RTD is any good cuz I can always just put a TEMP one there mounted on my grill.

granted, i won't be wanting exact grill temps where my meat is... but this can be another gauge to go by knowing the difference between center of grill and what this new probe reads.

If this were a regular smoker you would put one thru the lid and read the dial... I have no fear of installing one, I just want it to be in the most thought out place
If you're not concerned about drilling a hole, put it about 3 inches above grate height dead center in the back or in the lid of the grill.

If you're not concerned about drilling a hole, put it about 3 inches above grate height dead center in the back or in the lid of the grill.

well in a 575 the front and back is where all the heat rises. (probably +50-75° at least) I'll just do my homework and place probes in diff locations and see where i get a stable area to mount it I guess... think I'll buy a couple more probes from Fireboard anyway, just to have spare or clean ones ready to go at all times.

Since I bought my Fireboard and and also since I lava locked the lid my temp are a lot more consistent. But the difference from the Traeger temp probe is 20F from the right side to the middle. I found the hottest spot is just left of middle and close to the front and how many probes can you have mate?

Since I bought my Fireboard and and also since I lava locked the lid my temp are a lot more consistent. But the difference from the Traeger temp probe is 20F from the right side to the middle. I found the hottest spot is just left of middle and close to the front and how many probes can you have mate?

yeah mine is the same way... I tested that quite a while ago, I think I posted results somewhere...
It's the "old smoker" in me that wants one really...

well in a 575 the front and back is where all the heat rises. (probably +50-75° at least) I'll just do my homework and place probes in diff locations and see where i get a stable area to mount it I guess... think I'll buy a couple more probes from Fireboard anyway, just to have spare or clean ones ready to go at all times.
I should have known that duh, my 780 is the same but bigger.

Found I had only the two channel "Smoke" from Thermoworks (used a proprietary connection to their remote) so ordered the four channel Thermoworks "Signal" unit with three additional ambient air probes in addition to the one that comes with it. This unit supports both bluetooth and WiFi so my iPhone with the Thermoworks app will be able to show that information in addition to the information from the TYreager D2 system. The four channels will let me get a good understandinging of the temps inside during a test temperature run.

Last edited:
Just ordered 2 to install on my Century 22 and IW885. Since they are right next to each other, I can monitor two cooks at once with all the ports on the Fireboard 2 Drive.

Just ordered 2 to install on my Century 22 and IW885. Since they are right next to each other, I can monitor two cooks at once with all the ports on the Fireboard 2 Drive.
I'm betting that with 2 probe extension, you could monitor your 2 T's AND 1 BGE WITH the drive runnin a blower fan!

Where ya gonna put them on the grill???

When I get out there on a good warm Saturday, I'm gonna start lookin around and see where I can install one as close to the Traeger Probe as possible... then maybe one on the opposite side, I have an open hole where my handle was that I never use and my Bella covered the front hole anyway.

Back