Perfect brisket to practice Traeger cooking

MidwestSmoker

Reaction score
Grill
Traeger Pro 575
To improve my brisket cooking skills, I know I need to keep practicing. The problem the usual packer briskets at Costco are around $75 and about 15 lbs. That is a lot of expensive meat to mess up and I cannot bring myself to do that. My local grocery store sells trimmed brisket flats, but they are also quite large and even more expensive on a per pound basis.

Then yesterday Slim mentioned that he had found $10 briskets at Aldi and I was intrigued. On my way home from work I stopped at the nearest Aldi and this what I found:
2021-08-02 21.28.00.jpg

They had different sizes and I picked 3 and half pound one for $14.28 (they go for $3.99/lb). It is a trimmed USDA Choice brisket flat, but It could have a little bit of the point. That is an amazing price (and size) for a brisket flat. At this size and price I can keep experimenting on cooks regularly. Slim has posted details on his cook with it and it worked wonderfully for him. I encourage all those starting out on Traeger cooking to consider this if you have an Aldi in town.

I am curious to know how this works out for you...! Keep us posted.

It looks like it may already be seasoned, so let us know how it goes and good luck!

Slim has posted details on his cook with it and it worked wonderfully for him.

I didn't touch it with any added rub or seasoning... it was perfect as is.
Mini Brisket cook turned out awesome for only $10
Took 7 hours 225 till 165 paper wrap then 250 till done... mine actually looked like a point and flat.
I bought 3 more, it was fun and PACKED with flavor. I also got a couple 3.5 lbers this time

https://share.fireboard.io/E305A4

Midwestsmoker, trust it and take it to 200+... I always put my grill in shutdown mode with meat on, it starts the resting period for me... BUT, I shutdown at 198° thinking the meat would still climb a degree or 2 and it didn't.
Next time I don't touch it till I see 200 or more...

Interesting......

Midwestsmoker, trust it and take it to 200+... I always put my grill in shutdown mode with meat on, it starts the resting period for me... BUT, I shutdown at 198° thinking the meat would still climb a degree or 2 and it didn't.
Next time I don't touch it till I see 200 or more...
I will see how it goes and report back for everyone. I will be leaving on a vacation and will do this when I return in 2 weeks. I plan to try variations to see what works best. It come with just salt and pepper so it is barely seasoned and I should be able to add other ingredients as well.

I will see how it goes and report back for everyone. I will be leaving on a vacation and will do this when I return in 2 weeks. I plan to try variations to see what works best. It come with just salt and pepper so it is barely seasoned and I should be able to add other ingredients as well.
I didn't add a thing and it was perfect flavored bark, now, I also picked up the BBQ seasoned one, that one I plan to wash off and add my own.

2 weeks I'll do mine also... one gets frigged, sliced, and froze for a hunting weekend. (since this meat already went to 200°, I've seen reheat sliced methods of boil water, turn off, throw in package of meat and sit for 5 minutes.)

Latest Discussions

Back