Pellets not dropping

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 885
Does anyone have a good fix to get the pellets to drop better? I’m tired of walking out every hour to swirl the pellets around to make sure they drop in the auger. It seems if I just let it run I get pellets not dropping.

I’ve read where people are sanding the walls and spraying with graphite, but seems odd to me.

I’m considering filling the hopper, then placing a bag filled with pellets on top of those pellets just to weigh them down so they fall.

Thoughts?

That sounds strange but I would try to re-charging auger and make sure auger is rotating.

Guys on the Weber forum are using UHMW tape on their chutes to help pellets slide. Might be able to add some to the angled portions of our hoppers to help the pellets slide. The material has a low coefficient of friction and may help
Something like these sheets. You could trim to fit or find something that fits better
Probably cheaper south of the border. I haven't tried this, but wouldn't hesitate if I was having issues

I have seen somewhere on the forum that traeger actually has an an attachment to create a stepper slope.
Mine will occasionally tunnel. Which os worrisome if I'm doing a long overnight cook.

That sounds strange but I would try to re-charging auger and make sure auger is rotating.
Auger works just fine, pellets directly above the hopper are the only ones that drop. It makes it look like a cone shaped hole in the center of the pellets in the hopper, it’s weird.

I can probably go about 2 hrs without checking on it before I need to stir the pellets around. I tried an overnight cook once...terrible found the smoker at 100f and a hopper full of pelleta, but was able to see the auger rotating. Pellets just weren’t falling.

I would also try Car Wax...not sure I would try putting anything in hopper that could possibly come loose and cause major jam

I have seen somewhere on the forum that traeger actually has an an attachment to create a stepper slope.
Mine will occasionally tunnel. Which os worrisome if I'm doing a long overnight cook.
I’d like to see this if you know where to buy one.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200609-122016_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200609-122016_Chrome.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 529
Issue solved, called traeger and they are sending me a free insert like the ones mentioned in this thread...loving the Traeger support team help!

Back