Pellet vortex or sink hole

Rudder

Reaction score
Grill
Texas Elite 34
Have you experienced on longer cooks the pellets will form a type of vortex to the side the auger is on ? I did a six hour baked bean cook on low then increased to max temp to cook steaks. I started to see a rapid temp loss occurring. I looked in the pellet box and noticed what I call a vortex or sink hole and my auger had a lull in the pellet supply due to the sink hole.

Since this cook I have paid close attention to leveling the pellets of occasionally during the cook. It seems the pellets in the box don't drop at an even level, the left side usually remains in place unless you smooth them out.

What, if anything have you experienced or done to remedy this ? I was thinking to cut a 3/4" piece of plywood to place on top of the pellets to possibly force a level drop.

Thanks in advance.

I did a deep dive on pellet tunneling, another fun project;

I just make it a habit to check my pellets several times during a cook... top them off too...
I guess it's from the wood/coal smoker days, you gotta check your FUEL levels

I just make it a habit to check my pellets several times during a cook... top them off too...
I second that.

I'll turd dat!

Fortunalty, I have another Traeger pellet bin right next to the other and I keep a cup in the one not being used so I can quickly transfer back and forth as needed before I get another bag out. :)

Fortunalty, I have another Traeger pellet bin right next to the other and I keep a cup in the one not being used so I can quickly transfer back and forth as needed before I get another bag out. :)

WHAT!!!!??? I'd of thought you had a pellet storage bin on the ceiling with a filler tube coming down!!!
:unsure:

Appreciate the responses here! I won't make that mistake again. Time for ribs and Sunday at the Masters here.

Have you experienced on longer cooks the pellets will form a type of vortex to the side the auger is on ? I did a six hour baked bean cook on low then increased to max temp to cook steaks. I started to see a rapid temp loss occurring. I looked in the pellet box and noticed what I call a vortex or sink hole and my auger had a lull in the pellet supply due to the sink hole.

Since this cook I have paid close attention to leveling the pellets of occasionally during the cook. It seems the pellets in the box don't drop at an even level, the left side usually remains in place unless you smooth them out.

What, if anything have you experienced or done to remedy this ? I was thinking to cut a 3/4" piece of plywood to place on top of the pellets to possibly force a level drop.

Thanks in advance.

I use a large coffee can, opened at both ends, and stack it upright in the hopper. Load it up with pellets. This increases the hopper capacity and helps gravity to do its work. No matter what, you still have to keep an eye on the hopper. Out of habit, I'll still check it every 30 minutes to an hour.

Thanks in advance.
I put my wife's vibrator in with the pellets and it keeps them from forming a polar vortex

nocomment.gif

Back