Pellets Pellet Storage Solutions

Joel

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 885
I'd love to see your setup or tips on what works best for storing your wood pellets. Currently have a large tub/lid with my Traeger bags laying in them, roughly 5 different woods. I've heard of getting 5 gallon buckets and labeling them but that seems like a lot of space to take up on the porch. Struggling with making this look organized and easy to use without being cluttered or look like I'm doomsday prepping. Thanks!

I’m a 5 gallon bucket guy, I keep it to two woods at a time to minimize the space they take up and keep them in a closet in the house. I doubt the lids I have are an airtight seal so keeping them in the house is just an added, OCD measure to keep the moisture away.

I bought a few of these lids to put on 5-gallon buckets.

And one of these to filter out the dust and small pieces (1/8 inch works great on Traeger brand pellets).

I’m a 5 gallon bucket guy, I keep it to two woods at a time to minimize the space they take up and keep them in a closet in the house. I doubt the lids I have are an airtight seal so keeping them in the house is just an added, OCD measure to keep the moisture away.

Me too... but a HOME DEPOT lid has a rubber seal just like some drywall compound does... so that's as air tight as you get. and Traeger does talk about using FRESH pellets in case some became too humid and crumbly!!

But the ones traeger860 posted will save your finger tips!!!!!!

Thanks RealMenDIY, maybe I'll move to the buckets. I'm definitely in the OCD category.

Thanks for the link primeone!

Cool traeger860, didn't know they had filters and that's a great idea!

Good information Slimpicker, I'll keep this in mind moving forward.

I'm getting 4 of those screw on ones tomorrow, I only go to Home Depot 4 of 5 days a week.
THNX big guy

When you go to empty your hopper into your 5 gal buckets... place bucket under your hopper, use a LARGE ICE & GRAIN SCOOP in one hand, open the door with the other and use the scoop to direct the pellets into your bucket...

s-l1600.jpg

buy anywhere for under $25

Thanks RealMenDIY, maybe I'll move to the buckets. I'm definitely in the OCD category.

Thanks for the link primeone!

Cool traeger860, didn't know they had filters and that's a great idea!

Good information Slimpicker, I'll keep this in mind moving forward.

Traeger makes their own bucket and lid kit as well. It comes with a filter that sits at the bottom. It’s pricey though.

When you go to empty your hopper into your 5 gal buckets... place bucket under your hopper, use a LARGE ICE & GRAIN SCOOP in one hand, open the door with the other and use the scoop to direct the pellets into your bucket...

View attachment 2177

buy anywhere for under $25

It does get a little annoying that the bucket can't sit under the hopper when you empty the pellets without holding it at an awkward angle.

It does get a little annoying that the bucket can't sit under the hopper when you empty the pellets without holding it at an awkward angle.

I AGREE
That's where the scoop comes in handy, plus I use the same scoop to load pellet mixes... or use in the hopper to mix 2 flavors you just poured in there.

A 3D printed magnetic chute would be great.

A 3D printed magnetic chute would be great.
Magoo40 posted a magnetic chute he made, with plans. I used them as a base to make my own version yesterday. I agree, a printed one would be nice for those who don't have the time for another project. I'm painting it satin black right now. It only took an hour to make with 1/8" liteply and super glue. Sanding and finishing and the imbedded magnets took the longest.

Here's the original post;

Attachments

• IMG_8413.JPG
    IMG_8413.JPG
    236.9 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_8415.JPG
    IMG_8415.JPG
    149.6 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_8416.JPG
    IMG_8416.JPG
    164.5 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_8418.JPG
    IMG_8418.JPG
    166.1 KB · Views: 143
  • Magoo40s Example.JPG
    Magoo40s Example.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Question,

By chance do any of you know off hand if a 20lb bag Traeger pellets will fit in a 3.5 gallon pail? I'm liking the idea of storing the different flavors in buckets like what was posted earlier and was wondering if the smaller buckets would work to save some space.

They are both 12" diameter but 5 gal is 14.5" tall and 3.5 gallon is 11" tall.

Question,

By chance do any of you know off hand if a 20lb bag Traeger pellets will fit in a 3.5 gallon pail? I'm liking the idea of storing the different flavors in buckets like what was posted earlier and was wondering if the smaller buckets would work to save some space.

They are both 12" diameter but 5 gal is 14.5" tall and 3.5 gallon is 11" tall.

It'll be close. A 20lb bag usually fills a 5 gallon bucket about 3/4 of the way.

Latest Discussions

Back