Pellets Pellet Dust Test ► Results Are In

Slimpicker

⚒️ MODERATOR
Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575 Bronze► OKJoe's Longhorn Combo► WeberQ Gasser ►Weber kettle► UDS ► Inkbird Sous Vide
I'll just get right to it ► Test was for DUST amount in each 20lb bag which in my opinion also means pellet strength against crumble, and also means less worries of DUST clogs in Hopper... probably also means less affected by humidity too.
Using my OKJoe sifter bucket and 1/3 of a bag at a time, manually shaking the sifter for about 30 seconds for each 1/3, then poured into another bucket and repeat till done (obviously 3 times each bag)

20210116_121326.jpg

TRAEGER PELLETS:

20210116_121306.jpg

20210116_121343.jpg

20210116_123009.jpg

PITBOSS PELLETS:

20210116_123642.jpg

20210116_123940.jpg

20210116_124032.jpg

BEAR MOUNTAIN PELLETS:

20210116_124310.jpg

20210116_124657.jpg

20210116_124731.jpg

WINNER IS: BEAR MOUNTAIN AND PITBOSS ► TRAEGER is the big loser, sorry, but science has spoken.

The more I shook the Traeger pellets the more was still coming out... to be fair I stopped at 30 sec but the pellets really never stopped making dust... This was during all thirds of the bag....

Pitboss and Bear Mountain didn't even leave ANY dust till I poured the last of each bag in, so they were NOT breaking up from me sifting them, but Traeger's pellets were!!!

👇👇👇👇👇👇
YYCRed said:
In case anyone isn't aware (I believe most on here know this already), Traeger doesn't necessarily use 100% wood in their pellets. Here is their patent where it specifies it in the abstract: US Patent 7517371

RemE said:
That was a good read, surprised at how much soy oil plus wood flavor oils are used. Seems the primary wood used in their pellets is alder and oak, hmmm.

Wow this is great. Thank you. Next test should be which tastes the best.

Very good representation of the amounts of dust in each @Slimpicker
Thanks for taking the time to do this and sharing the results with us. Now if anyone wants a particular brand tested, they can contact you for your address so they can send you a bag of pellets of their choice for you to test 😄😀
You get to keep the pellets @Slimpicker

Awesome @Slimpicker!

Ive been stocking up on BM and PB as they go on sale. When i break out the Expert Grill pellets, I'll try to do a test on them similar to what you did.

One other observation: PITBOSS were the shortest in length... which probably helps in pellets not breaking and creating dust!!

Next test should be which tastes the best.

yuk.gif
I ain't eatin those things!!!!!

Now if anyone wants a particular brand tested, they can contact you for your address so they can send you a bag of pellets of their choice for you to test 😄😀
You get to keep the pellets @Slimpicker

I like the way you think!!!!

P.O. BOX '8675309'
Grand Pellet way
Traegerville MO (use any zip code here)

The more I shook the Traeger pellets the more was still coming out... to be fair I stopped at 30 sec but the pellets really never stopped making dust... This was during all thirds of the bag....

Pitboss and Bear Mountain didn't even leave ANY dust till I poured the last of each bag in, so they were NOT breaking up from me sifting them, but Traeger's pellets were!!!

Pit Boss is available in Walmart near me at $8.99 for a 20lb. bag. Less than half the cost of Traeger. Is there any downside? Do they burn quicker or produce less flavor?

I’ve switched over to PB from traeger about 2 months ago. Burn rate is similar but have found flavor to be far superior. Also mix the pb charcoal pellets with mesquite for great flavor

Thanks for this. Traeger seems very insistent that their pellets be used (self-serving, I know.) Just picked up some bags of Traeger pellets, but next time I'll give PB a go.

Great test! What else are y'all using to sift pellets?
I'm still learning but made a pre sifter with 1/8" screen to pour them over and into 5G bucket with more 1/8" screen similar to the Traeger filter, but cost a little less.

Attachments

• IMG_1365.jpg
    IMG_1365.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_1899.JPG
    IMG_1899.JPG
    346.3 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_2011.JPG
    IMG_2011.JPG
    302.7 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_2012.JPG
    IMG_2012.JPG
    275.1 KB · Views: 91
Excellent test sir! I havent done anything like it but i do test the snap of the pellets out of every bag before they go in the hopper, i have found PitBoss to have the strongest pellet and some of the longest pellets as well. I bought a bunch in bulk when on sale, 300+lbs of them, Competition and Canadian blends. Love them and don't think ill buy anything else at this point.

I have been using Camp Chef and it doesn't appear to have a lot of dust. And I need to do a test like you have done!!
Thanks

Latest Discussions

Back