Beef Pecan pellets for Brisket?

Parrothead1809

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 780
Anyone done Pecan pellets for Brisket? I have a small brisket I’ll be cooking tomorrow and I have a full bag of Pecan pellets. Should I just use them or run out for something else?
-PH

Use them, it don't really matter.

I've really not noticed a big difference in smoke from different varieties of pellets except maybe mesquite. They all have "hardwood fillers" to even out burn time so like @Slimpicker said "Use them". I did a pork butt with BM cherry/hickory mix. Came out fine.

Oak is by far my favorite for brisket and beef ribs. Pecan is just hickory light. It’s a great overall pellet but imparts a pretty subtle smoke flavor. It’ll be fine. Use a great rub and that will help.

I have not tried pecan wood pellets, so I am most interested in how your turns out.

thanks guys. I was just going to use a Salt, Pepper, Garlic rub or maybe the Traeger Beef rub. Nothing too crazy. I love the Malcom Reeds BBQ Rub, but maybe not this cook.
-PH

thanks guys. I was just going to use a Salt, Pepper, Garlic rub or maybe the Traeger Beef rub. Nothing too crazy. I love the Malcom Reeds BBQ Rub, but maybe not this cook.
-PH
You can always layer multiple rubs, especially on a large cut like brisket.

Anyone done Pecan pellets for Brisket? I have a small brisket I’ll be cooking tomorrow and I have a full bag of Pecan pellets. Should I just use them or run out for something else?
-PH
Yes, I use pecan all the time. I really like a mixture of pecan, mesquite and hickory. If you want a really good smoked brisket make sure to use a smoke tube for extra smoke. I usually use 2 one with hickory chips and one with pecan chips, real wood not pellets.

I just picked up a bag of Pit Boss pecan blend pellets. I have not yet tried them, but loo forward to doing so.

I use a mixture of oak and pecan for all of my beef cooks. A mixture of hickory and pecan for my pork cooks. I also use the same type wood chips in the smoke tube as the pellets being used.

I have seen a Traeger Brisket Blend in the past and I believe it was an oak/pecan blend.

I was given a large bag of Brisket Blend [Oak, Pecan, hint of Black Pepper]. I was short on my Hickory at the time and used them for pork ribs. The smoke had a pleasing scent, and did fine. I also think the Hickory and Pecan is a good flavor for pork. The Brisket blend has since been discontinued by Traeger, but you can always mix your own if the mix isn't available from another pellet maker.

If you want an oak + pecan blend, you might need to blend your own. Most mixes contain some combination of oak, hickory, maple and cherry, but seldom contain pecan.

If you want an oak + pecan blend, you might need to blend your own. Most mixes contain some combination of oak, hickory, maple and cherry, but seldom contain pecan.
I blend or mix my own.

Latest Discussions

Back