Paint peeling/Bubbling

Tom S

Reaction score
Grill
Timberline850
I have a new 850, only used a few times but I noticed the paint is bubbled/peeled off in the back bottom corners, should I be concerned or is that normal! Thanks
29614561-4BF9-425A-8FCD-AD76FCB18999.jpeg
4D520EB1-0B9E-4BE4-AD75-1BA9FF840CB5.jpeg

Yup... Mine too...

Someone commented on another thread that I had mentioned this and they said when you turn up to 500 this can happen, not sure if it’s a problem but I’m gonna call customer service and see what they say, I only had this grill for two weeks and turned up to 500 once, won’t do that again!!

Looking at your pictures, I'd ask for a new grill. Clearly the paint itself, or the prep was really poor. I did mention in the other thread that I believe that the Timberline's have a design flaw in the exhaust area. The main flow is out two holes on the rear sides under the grate. This seems to overheat the rear where your damage occurred.

In your case it looks like the paint actually melted and ran down onto the barrel frame below, that's just not right.

Taking the temps really high for searing clearly over-temps that rear area. My plan is to use some ceramic wool heat shielding inside the back of the grill to cool down that area. I found it on Amazon and will be doing it this week.

They replaced my grill. Same problem. Purchased in May if that means anything.

Hey FYI, I did call and yes they are sending out a new one in a few weeks!! Thx for all the interest, I definitely won’t be turning the new one up to 500 again!!

Hey FYI, I did call and yes they are sending out a new one in a few weeks!! Thx for all the interest, I definitely won’t be turning the new one up to 500 again!!
I run to 450 with no trouble but I haven't pushed my luck with the 500 thing!

My Pro 22 superheated on smoke mode. The grill is only a month old. It was on for about 10 minutes. The temp was at 379 degrees ! The Auger was pumping in pellets non stop. Something seriously malfunctioned. I put in a warranty claim direct with Traeger. Its been a week since I put in the claim. I waited patiently but finally had to call back. The claims rep at the factory said she was busy this past week and apologized for the delay. She has to get with the technical department to go over the issue and find out what to do ... Meanwhile I am not using the smoker and still waiting patiently ...

Attachments

• Traeger Pic.jpg
    Traeger Pic.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 536
My Pro 22 superheated on smoke mode. The grill is only a month old. It was on for about 10 minutes. The temp was at 379 degrees ! The Auger was pumping in pellets non stop. Something seriously malfunctioned. I put in a warranty claim direct with Traeger. Its been a week since I put in the claim. I waited patiently but finally had to call back. The claims rep at the factory said she was busy this past week and apologized for the delay. She has to get with the technical department to go over the issue and find out what to do ... Meanwhile I am not using the smoker and still waiting patiently ...
did you ever hear back? I am presently having the same issue with the paint in multiple locations

Frickin unacceptable. Why advertise a grill that can do 500 degrees, take $1,000+ for it and then have its paint bubble and only to replace it later.

Traeger has some serious QC issues. If you advertise 500 degree capability and build a grill where the drip line WILL (not when) catch fire, that paint better endure 1,000 degrees.

Reactions: vza
I picked up a little "Country Smokers" grill, advertised 500F and states in the manual, "paint not covered, use Hi Temp paint to touch up as needed".

So this looks like something that is going to happen at high temps.

After a month, mine is peeling too. Other than the initial seasoning, I only seared at 500 once. Thanks for posting.

Home Depot 2000 degree engine paint flat black rustoilium 8.47/ spray can....., 500 degree gloss same price....

Back