Overnight Pork Shoulder

bleucheese87

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 780
Hello Everyone! Ive had my Pro 780 for about a year but just signed up on this forum!

Im doing a cook for a small gathering this weekend and have a 12lb Pork shoulder, has anyone thrown that size shoulder on the night before say 10-11pm and just cooked it at like 180 overnight and then turned it up in the morning to finish it? Ive done plenty of Pork shoulders but always the day, this time i have to travel and plan on throwing it in my yeti cooler for the trip so im on a tighter schedule. Thanks for any tips!! Glad to be on the forum.

I just did two overnight last weekend
It is in the What's for dinner thread on the forum
Mine took just over 20 hours to complete.

I just did two overnight last weekend
It is in the What's for dinner thread on the forum
Mine took just over 20 hours to complete.

Awesome man, thank you!! This is exactly what i was looking for. Ill report back with my results saturday morning. Thanks again!

Awesome man, thank you!! This is exactly what i was looking for. Ill report back with my results saturday morning. Thanks again!
Look forward to seeing and hearing how yours turned out.
I have a few progress posts in that section of the forum, right to the finished product

I ALWAYS cut mine in half... I buy 9lbs and even cut those in half... (more bark more fun)
I would consider cooking 2 6lbers if I were you... it won't take 20 hours and it won't hurt the end result at all!!!
I did 8 4.5lbers for a huge 100 people picnic and it turned out great, BEST PP they ever had.
Dazzle them with a finishing sauce when pulling too...

I ALWAYS cut mine in half... I buy 9lbs and even cut those in half... (more bark more fun)
I would consider cooking 2 6lbers if I were you... it won't take 20 hours and it won't hurt the end result at all!!!
I did 8 4.5lbers for a huge 100 people picnic and it turned out great, BEST PP they ever had.
Dazzle them with a finishing sauce when pulling too...
This might be a stupid question, but can i do that with a Bone in shoulder? Im making pulled pork tacos and make a Salsa Verde from scratch that people love.

Part of the reason for my longer cook time was the use of water pans. I had two of them in the Traeger. They required filling again at about 10 hours.
I could have used just one, but figured if I was using rhem as a drip pan as well, I might as well put it to use.
The use of a water pan tend to extend the cook times

This might be a stupid question, but can i do that with a Bone in shoulder? Im making pulled pork tacos and make a Salsa Verde from scratch that people love.

YES I always ended up with 1 with bone and 1 without... cut in half around the bone if you can....
One will get done probably before the other... but that will give you time to WRAP AND REST the first one....
wrap in foil, then towel, then in cooler for up to 2 hours before pulling...

Hello Everyone! Ive had my Pro 780 for about a year but just signed up on this forum!

Im doing a cook for a small gathering this weekend and have a 12lb Pork shoulder, has anyone thrown that size shoulder on the night before say 10-11pm and just cooked it at like 180 overnight and then turned it up in the morning to finish it? Ive done plenty of Pork shoulders but always the day, this time i have to travel and plan on throwing it in my yeti cooler for the trip so im on a tighter schedule. Thanks for any tips!! Glad to be on the forum.
Look up danger zone for pork. Cooking that low might not be a good idea. It says that you should get the pork from 40 degrees to 140 within 4 hours. Not saying that it wont that way. I have cooked 10 lb shoulders at 225 and took 12 plus hours to cook and then rested them for up to 5 hours wrapped in foil and then wrapped in towels and placed in a cooler and still nice and hot when pulled.

Look up danger zone for pork. Cooking that low might not be a good idea. It says that you should get the pork from 40 degrees to 140 within 4 hours. Not saying that it wont that way. I have cooked 10 lb shoulders at 225 and took 12 plus hours to cook and then rested them for up to 5 hours wrapped in foil and then wrapped in towels and placed in a cooler and still nice and hot when pulled.

That applies to the outside of the pork, not the internal temp. The outside of the pork is exposed to bacteria and it's crucial to get that outside up to 140 as quick as possible. The rest of the pork shoulder is fine as it has never been exposed to the outside, unlike boneless pork butts.

This is the main reason I only smoke bone-in pork butts as the insides are sterile. If I have to do a boneless, I leave it butterflied and open so all surface areas can get up to safe temp quickly.

Back