Now temp issues..

Bruce N

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 780
doing ribs again today. They are at the 180 degree setting for 3hrs. using the 3-2-1 method. Grill is running at 225-320. Not what I set it to for sure. So I know to kind of compensate for it, knock it down to 165 degrees, still running HOT. 200 degrees on the cool side going up to 205-210. WTF?? Traeger has cost me a lot of cash so far for a grill that is very undependable. Had to purchase a smoke tube this week to get some smoke flavor into the ribs. Temp here in NJ is 80 degrees, so it is not like the grill is in real hot temps.

doing ribs again today. They are at the 180 degree setting for 3hrs. using the 3-2-1 method. Grill is running at 225-320. Not what I set it to for sure. So I know to kind of compensate for it, knock it down to 165 degrees, still running HOT. 200 degrees on the cool side going up to 205-210. WTF?? Traeger has cost me a lot of cash so far for a grill that is very undependable. Had to purchase a smoke tube this week to get some smoke flavor into the ribs. Temp here in NJ is 80 degrees, so it is not like the grill is in real hot temps.
I’m having the same issue. I had to trash a whole brisket because it would not hold temp. Tried to hold 225 but grill got as hot as 400. I’m so frustrated.

I had this same problem on the PRO 575. I believe it appeared after performing a major cleaning. Can't say for certain because I wasn't closely monitoring the temp issues at the time. What's weird is the temp variance dissipated after many cooks. At this point I was keenly monitoring the situation and using a third party temp probe for comparison. Today it's more deterministic but still requires increasing the setting by 10-25 deg to compensate (less at 180F and more at 225F).

I'm having similar issues with my Pro22. I found by using a secondary temperature probe in the grill that what is being displayed on the controller is way off.

I called Treager a few weeks ago and they sent a new controller. It didn't solve the issue. Called again and now they're sending a new RTD probe.

Sometimes I'll have the temperature set to 325 and the display will show an internal temperature 100 to 150 degrees lower while the actual temperature is even lower than that. And it will keep dropping. Then it will eventually display a low or high temperature warning then shut off. Odd that it will show a high temperature warning when it never displays a high temperature.

Hopefully it's just the RTD probe that is bad. I also hope it arrives soon. I got an email stating it shipped along with a tracking number on 6/10. It's shown no movent, just that the USPS received the tracking number.

Back