NOVICE Question

Mike & Sherry Fultz

Reaction score
Grill
Century 34
I am getting ready to roast Chickens on my new Century 34 we have some company coming and want to do something quick and easy. My question is I am going to roast 4 chickens instead of 1 or 2 my wife wants to make chicken salad out of the other 2 what will this do to the cooking time due to having 4 chickens cooking I know they need to be 160-165 but would like to know if it will take longer than the 1.5 hours the videos show. Please let me know ......................they are on their way!

Happy Labor Day Weekend to ALL
M&S

I am getting ready to roast Chickens on my new Century 34 we have some company coming and want to do something quick and easy. My question is I am going to roast 4 chickens instead of 1 or 2 my wife wants to make chicken salad out of the other 2 what will this do to the cooking time due to having 4 chickens cooking I know they need to be 160-165 but would like to know if it will take longer than the 1.5 hours the videos show. Please let me know ......................they are on their way!

Happy Labor Day Weekend to ALL
M&S

Happy long wknd! What is the weight of the chickens? Be careful of time and temps you see in Traeger vids. I find they are usually off. What temp are you planning on smoking them at? Time is just a guide. Meat will be ready when it's ready.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply the chickens are about 6 LB each. I was planning to smoke for about 30 minutes and finish at 375 for about an hour as a benchmark.

I think you will be longer than 1.5 hours for sure. I would allow about 3 hours for 4 birds that size pretty easy. Just my $0.02. Let us know how you make out. Cheers!

@Mike & Sherry Fultz I did 2 five pounders spatchcocked a week ago. Hour of smoke, then 375. Took a bit longer than a hour once I cranked the heat up.

No fowl ..... see what I did there ? .... starting a bit early then panning, covering in foil, and resting then holding in low in ur oven. My first chicken cook was halves. Some got done 3 hours before I served, some just an hour before . I put a pan of hot water in the oven, set it as low as it would go (175) and let them sit till we ate. Rave reviews all around.

Why not cook the birds that will be used for chicken salad ahead of time. I'm assuming that's a cold chicken salad.

if you have the room to spatchloc the chickens it will cut the time by about 40%

Back