NO SMOKE

Lantamjon

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 780
Anyone have issue with very little smoke using the Pro 780??. My niebor has a Timberland 34 and his smokes alot more then mine. Ive called Trrager and they sent me a new hot rod, but that didnt do anything. Not happy, any ideas???

I also think my 780 produce to little smoke. I expected that a pellet smoker would produce loads of smoke. I guess some is due to the cold weather we got here in Sweden. Last night I did some smoked shrimps, but the Traeger did not come close to the smoke flavor I get out of my propane Weber with a smoke box. I even made a smoke pack and put it above the burner, but no great smoke flavor there... . I regret a bit that I did not get the Timberline or Ironwood version, but I did not think I would use it this much.
I´m trying some mods with my 780 and see if it will produce some more smoke.

Clean blue smoke is basically invisible. You will only see dirty white smoke and you don't want that.

The SmokeDaddy cold smoke generator is the only thing that's given me a level of smoke comparable to an UDS or Pit Barrel in my Timberline 850.

Clean blue smoke is basically invisible. You will only see dirty white smoke and you don't want that.
I agree with the clean bkue smoke. But i dont even see that at 165. I smoked wings at 170 for 1.5 hours and then @ 325 to cook them off . And my results were basically grilled wings with no smoke.

Make sure chimney cap is lowered to where it's just a finger width between the bottom of the cap and the top of the tube.

The SmokeDaddy cold smoke generator is the only thing that's given me a level of smoke comparable to an UDS or Pit Barrel in my Timberline 850.
How is it plumbed in on your timberline 850? Is it the pellet tube or the full setup? Pictures?

I agree with the clean bkue smoke. But i dont even see that at 165. I smoked wings at 170 for 1.5 hours and then @ 325 to cook them off . And my results were basically grilled wings with no smoke.
If it's lighting and holding temps like 220 or so it's doing what it should. It's not a heavy smoke.

How is it plumbed in on your timberline 850? Is it the pellet tube or the full setup? Pictures?

In the case of my Timberline 850, I drilled a 1 1/8" hole on the left side, lower left. Believe me, I was not thrilled about drilling into a brand new Timberline. But that's how the SmokeDaddy works -- you need a hole to route the smoke into the grill. I got the drill bits, made a brace from an old 2x4 -- and bit the bullet -- drilled in -- and it worked.

Then you insert the SmokeDaddy (Big Kahuna, in my case), and install the (included) air pump.

Fill the SD with charcoal and wood chunks -- and boom -- perfect smoke for 1.5 hours or so. Easy to refill to keep going. The air from the pump blows across the top of the SD and down into the SD -- and essentially forces (lots of) smoke into the Timberline.

Is it ideal? No.

Does it give an intense smoke profile? Yes.

Is the profile similar to a Pit Barrel or UDS or Weber Smokey Mountain (I own an 18" WSM -- and built a Big Poppa drum from scratch several years ago)? Yes.

I messed around with pellets -- Lumber Jack, Cookin', Traeger -- but none of them came close to the smoke flavor from the Smoke Daddy.

I messed around smoking tubes and triangles and rectangles -- and while they're good (and they do work to some extent) -- the smoke from these portable things is not comparable to the SmokeDaddy cold smokers.

If there's a better way to get smoke and smoke flavor in a pellet grill -- I'm all ears. But for me -- the SD Big Kahuna worked perfectly.

Plus, SmokeDaddy is a pleasure to deal with. I had an issue with a missing part -- and they sent it out -- no questions asked -- 24 hours later, FedEx.

No affiliation with SmokeDaddy -- just happy to have the Timberline 850 (which works fine after 50+ smokes -- zero issues -- including wifi) with the SD.

My next smoker -- without a doubt -- is gonna be the new SD Pellet Pro vertical smoker. Gotta wait a bit -- maybe a year or so -- but that's gonna be my next smoker. Then a Backwoods. :)

Links:

https://smokedaddyinc.com/product/big-kahuna-cold-smoke-generator/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082WWHL6V/

Last edited:
Back