No bark

Dave G.

Reaction score
Grill
Silverton 81B
Pork shoulder
Yellow mustard, rub is 50:50 brown sugar vs spices.
Smoked 3 hours at 225 -> internal temp to 165F. no bark
Foil wrapped and cooked to 205F at 255F

Fall apart tender and delicious.

Any tips for getting good bark?

I put mine on at 165 for about six hours before I turn it up and I get a good bark. I wrap it at the stall and finish it in the electric oven and the bark never goes away.

I'm still learning my grill but in my experience so far a setting of 225 is too low for a good bark to develop. I cooked my pork butt at 250-260 from beginning to end. Wrapped in foil after 4.5 hours and IT of 165. Great bark and smoke flavor after 10.5 hours and IT of 200-205.

I agree with Bobby, 250° and longer before wrapping if you want bark... I never foil wrap during the cook on pork, only after it reaches close to 200° then pull off, wrap in foil and towel and in a cooler for 2 hours.... BARK is great and pull is easy

Pork shoulder

Wrapping in foil kills bark, try butcher paper if you would like to keep the bark you created. There is a learning curve to butcher paper though

Pork shoulder

After buying the unit I have I realized it didn't put out quite as much smoke as some of the others. I, like you was expecting a bit more bark. So after doing some research and listening to some tips from other users I picked up this:

Added nice bark and works great to add smoke. And I agree with the comments on the longer smoke time. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't wrap til the pork is through the plateau (the period where it sits at 175 internal forever while all the fat and connective tissue renders out). If I wrap, it's around 190, and only if I'm going to finish it in the oven inside.

After buying the unit I have I realized it didn't put out quite as much smoke as some of the others. I, like you was expecting a bit more bark. So after doing some research and listening to some tips from other users I picked up this:
Added nice bark and works great to add smoke. And I agree with the comments on the longer smoke time. Good luck.
I just picked up a LIZZQ unit. Same principal but has a hex shape cross section.:)

I've only use the LIZZQ smoke tube twice now. first time on the Traeger the pellets stopped burning. I guess I didn't let the flame burn long enough before blowing it out. second time I used it in my Weber gas grill for some steaks and the pellets kept burning with a flame and the flame wouldn't go out. I'm not finding the happy medium yet

Sorry, Bobby, I don't know about the LIZZQ unit in particular. I've used the one listed in my post several times and it does a great job. And since I've got a 575 I need extra smoke.

I've only use the LIZZQ smoke tube twice now. first time on the Traeger the pellets stopped burning. I guess I didn't let the flame burn long enough before blowing it out. second time I used it in my Weber gas grill for some steaks and the pellets kept burning with a flame and the flame wouldn't go out. I'm not finding the happy medium yet

I used the LIZZQ a couple of days ago, filled it with Mesquite from B&B for my brisket. I always tap it several times to get the pellets to settle and pack tight. That helps in making sure it does not go out. I then light it with a MAPP torch and let it burn like a candle for few minutes before blowing it out and putting it in the Traeger.

The tamping it tight and the lighting with a torch is probably important no matter what type you use. I use exactly the same procedure GrillMeister describes when using my unit. Works like a charm

Sorry, Bobby, I don't know about the LIZZQ unit in particular. I've used the one listed in my post several times and it does a great job. And since I've got a 575 I need extra smoke.
LIZZQ is basically the same as yours except it's a hex shaped tube. I light it with a propane torch.

Used the LIZZQ again for my spatchcock turkey and it worked great. I gave it a long burn time before settling it on the grill. It made hours of blue smoke

Back