New Weber Pellet Grill

primeone

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
2023 Ironwood-L
What are your thoughts on Weber's new Pellet Grill?

Here are some on the features mentioned:

• Sears as well as it smokes with a 200-600°F temperature range.
• Weber porcelain-enamel finish helps prevent rusting and cracking.
• Large 672 square inches of dual grilling space.
• DC powered engine, specially designed to prevent auger jams.
• Designed to distribute even heat across the cooking area.

source: https://www.weberforum.com

Last edited:
Given the history of the Weber brand I cannot imagine their entry into the pellet market will be anything less than a huge success. I'm impressed that their price point is on par with others. I have only a couple months of history with Traeger but when I read of some folks complaints and unpleasant experiences with Trager CS I'd suspect that Weber's CS support and approach will be top-notch and they will have credible answers to users' complaints.

Last edited:
Love the Weber brand and if I didn’t already purchase my Traeger then there would’ve been a big debate on my grill purchase.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter what I think, until they do away with cube farms staffed with the barely functional any endeavour is doomed. Salesmen rule and make it difficult for any service / engineering professional to do their job. The sale is the end of the process then it's p*ss on em , make excuses, false promises and the occasional bribe. I'm retired so I can't go out and make more money to buy another POS. Traeger could rise to the occasion and for less money then they are spending on ignoring the problem , rise to their former glory ?

Weber has a great reputation. I think it will sell well considering they are always in all of the big box stores - Home Depot, Lowe’s, target, Walmart . Traeger should be worried.

The guys says in another video that they are working on all terrain wheels for it but yeah, those little wheels would work fine...in the kitchen. One thing that I see missing on that Weber is the drip tray. My Traeger Pro 575 does a good job of keeping the insides clean with that drip tray, that Weber will be a mess inside, especially if the ash blows around like it does on the Traeger. I can vacuum mine out and get it all. I like Weber's auger setup though and the fact that he does not suggest that the user use only Weber pellets. It was neat to learn that they use a diesel glow plug for the igniter too. Sometimes you can get lucky with a brand new product but generally you will see significant model changes the first few rounds and I'd pass on that one for a year or two and see how they go. I can't explain why but I'm not a big fan of those flavor bars and I'd like to know how they got a flame going all over that grill to sear those steaks when the burn pot is small and tucked down under.

While I have a couple of issues with my controller, the Traeger Pro 575 that I have has been satisfactory so far and if they get my controller straightened out I'll be happy. I sealed my lid with a lavalock seal and that seals the lid nicely. Sure, they could have done that for me and I would recommend that they do. Since sealing with that lavalock my grill now sends smoke out the grease drain, which it didn't before. If too much smoke exits the smoke stack I can partially block it with something and I may just give that a try.

The guys says in another video that they are working on all terrain wheels for it but yeah, those little wheels would work fine...in the kitchen. One thing that I see missing on that Weber is the drip tray. My Traeger Pro 575 does a good job of keeping the insides clean with that drip tray, that Weber will be a mess inside, especially if the ash blows around like it does on the Traeger. I can vacuum mine out and get it all. I like Weber's auger setup though and the fact that he does not suggest that the user use only Weber pellets. It was neat to learn that they use a diesel glow plug for the igniter too. Sometimes you can get lucky with a brand new product but generally you will see significant model changes the first few rounds and I'd pass on that one for a year or two and see how they go. I can't explain why but I'm not a big fan of those flavor bars and I'd like to know how they got a flame going all over that grill to sear those steaks when the burn pot is small and tucked down under.

While I have a couple of issues with my controller, the Traeger Pro 575 that I have has been satisfactory so far and if they get my controller straightened out I'll be happy. I sealed my lid with a lavalock seal and that seals the lid nicely. Sure, they could have done that for me and I would recommend that they do. Since sealing with that lavalock my grill now sends smoke out the grease drain, which it didn't before. If too much smoke exits the smoke stack I can partially block it with something and I may just give that a try.

I also wonder how they got the roaring flames with the firepot covered well with a metal box as they do. do they remove the cover maybe? The other thing im curious about is the flavorizer bars.. they are typical of a gas grill with multiple burners, a typical pellet grill has a large heat diffuser which essentially takes the heat from the little burn pot and transfers it out everywhere to allow good temperature everywhere in the grill. those little metal pyramids have large gaps between them which would allow the heat to go straight up and out the back and now allow the side of the grill to hit the desired temp.... anyone else think this?

I also wonder how they got the roaring flames with the firepot covered well with a metal box as they do. do they remove the cover maybe? The other thing im curious about is the flavorizer bars.. they are typical of a gas grill with multiple burners, a typical pellet grill has a large heat diffuser which essentially takes the heat from the little burn pot and transfers it out everywhere to allow good temperature everywhere in the grill. those little metal pyramids have large gaps between them which would allow the heat to go straight up and out the back and now allow the side of the grill to hit the desired temp.... anyone else think this?
The only thing I could figure there is that they jacked the heat up so high that the flavorizing bars got hot enough to flare up when they got hit with grease, which they have to have applied before they started rolling the film for us. I see some smoke and mirrors there.

One feature that appears to be awesome, is the grease & ash removal drawer. This should certainly reduce how often you'll need to vacuum the fire pit. I hope Traeger is taking notes.

weber-pellet-grill.png

weber-smokefire-fire-pot.png

Well, unfortunately the Weber continues to have some issues.

Total Melt Down Of Weber SmokeFire EX6 Bottom Tray! -

Last edited:
Well that bites. And that supports my thoughts to not buy brand new products.

Wow, I've seen some recent YouTube videos where folks are having some issues with grease fires. I'm a Weber fan and surprised they're encountering some real world issues that they allegedly tested multiple times before going to production. Guess time will tell. Meanwhile! I'm very happy with my Ironwood. ?

Oddly enough that video from the OP is no longer alive and well. I do recall seeing that there was no drip tray in that unit and saying that it would be a mess inside. However, I hadn't thought about it catching fire.

Latest Discussions

Back