New Traeger owner (almost )

NYRICO

Reaction score
Grill
Traeger Timberline 850
Waiting for delivery of my Timberline 850 in 1 week. Been on the fence for a while, but, a couple of friends of mine use pellet smokers and I decided to try it too. I purchased a few accessories with my grill , but, looking for a recommendation on a good grill light. Can't wait to set up and for my first cook.

Thank you, received my grill and ordered a similar light. Now I gotta wait for the pellets, my order got split and the pellets, grill, cover , and other accessories slowly come in over the next couple of days.

Thank you, received my grill and ordered a similar light. Now I gotta wait for the pellets, my order got split and the pellets, grill, cover , and other accessories slowly come in over the next couple of days.

Enjoy! What's the first cook?

I am new to this and I really want to try staple BBQ items: burgers and steak first. I have been searching for smoking ideas while I waited for my machine. I am waiting on some rubs that I ordered and I think I am going to start slow with a Spatch cook chicken, and a carne asada skirt steak recipe. I have been on the look out for a simple/ beginners brisket next or maybe a tri tip roast. My biggest issue right now is getting meat with the Carona virus around. I used to order from a Texas butcher / meat farm online, everything is sold out right now.

Yeah there's a ton of shortages or delays right now. Stock up if you can and vacuum seal for later. I've had good luck with Linz Meats. Cheaper than Snake River and a good variety. I ordered a few weeks back and they shipped quick. I haven't made the brisket yet but everything else was really good. Haven't tried the included rubs but they look okay. I ordered a couple of their dry aged Tomahawks and they were really good too. If you plan to do a lot of burgers or steaks, definitely recommend the GrillGrate sear kit.

I am going to check them out. I ordered the Traeger cast iron reversible griddle for now, that comes it yet another shipment. I am wondering how well this will sear on its own between the 500 temp and the stainless grill racks. I have also read about reverse searing which seems interesting , but, a bit of work for sear marks. Thanks for the advice

Forgot to ask. I cook alot of chicken breast, been using propane for years, so wondering about doing this on the Traeger. I assume that I can just crank this thing up to 500 to get quick grilled chicken, or do I have to reverse sear as well. You cook any simple marinated chicken breast, thoughts?

I do most of my steaks reverse seared. I no longer sit them out for 30+ minutes to bring them to room temp. I'll put them on the top rack at 200-225 in super smoke. Bring them up to 110ish, pull them so I can crank the Traeger up to 500 with the GrillGrates. Finish them off at 125-130 to put marks and crust on them. Put a slice of compound butter on them when they're resting. Takes more time but an awesome experience. I also started salt brining and highly recommend that too.

Forgot to ask. I cook alot of chicken breast, been using propane for years, so wondering about doing this on the Traeger. I assume that I can just crank this thing up to 500 to get quick grilled chicken, or do I have to reverse sear as well. You cook any simple marinated chicken breast, thoughts?

I've done a couple beer can chickens and I'll do an hour of smoke around 200 and then go up to 375 to finish and make the skin nice and crispy. I use the Traeger chicken throne inside a 2" deep aluminum drip tray to catch all the juice and internal temp of 165. Definitely recommend.

I'll do the same to my wings. Smoke them on the top rack for an hour and move them down to the lower at 375. I'll take them up to 190-200 internal temps so they're nice and crispy but still juicy. Surprisingly haven't done any plain breasts yet but I would probably do something similar and take them up to 165.

Sounds great, I started doing the compound butter thing recently and really like it oo, Thank you for all of the feedback, can't wait to start cooking on thing. Should have my pellets today and get the burn in done, tomorrow I am on the hunt for meat

Meatloaf is always fantastic and the smoked cauliflower with garlic and parmesan is insanely good.

That cauliflower recipe sounds good, is it on the Traeger App?

Latest Discussions

Back