New traeger app for android, and the whole wifi problems starts over.

Had the same issue. Initially it was trying to get me to set up a device. Thinking it was a new device. But my original device was already connected....so I was trying to set up a new device for nothing. I gave up because it wouldn’t complete the setup. Turned on the app and my old device was on and working! And it works like it always did. And my WIFI signal has always been weak outside. But no issues. And I use an iPhone.

I just updated to 2.0.2 on android and 02.01.00 on the grill without a hitch. When I first bought my grill it would connect to my wifi with some app/fw combinations and not with others, it was driving me crazy! I finally broke down and purchased a wifi extender and plug it into the wall outlet in my breakfast nook, opposite side of the wall from my grill on the back porch. Since then, my app/fw issues have disappeared and have moved smoothly through them all from 1.4 forward.

My extender is a TP-Link AC750 dual band you can find on Amazon. I configured it in high speed mode which uses the 5ghz band for connecting to my home AP and 2.4ghz for connecting to the grill (only works if you have a dual band AP at home). Once in place and Traeger reconfigured to connect to the new extender SSID, my problems went away for good and it constantly gets a -43dbm signal, prior it would bounce between -75 and -90dbm. Sucks that I had to spend $28 to augment the poor wifi performance of the Traeger.

I wish you luck!

I´m ready to throw in the towel on this wifi issue.
And either run it without wifi, or return the unit.

What I have tried so far:
Everything was working fine before they updated the app (android), so i know it has nothing to do with my network.
When i ADD my grill, it cannot find my network, but it will find all my neighbours wifi.
My wifi is 2.4 ghz.

The closest neighbours is 25m away from the grill. When i stand next to the grill with my phone, it can easily find my network.
If i do a speedtest with my phone next to the grill i get 50mb and above, so no problems there.

1. delete the app, reinstalled the app.
2. unplugged the grill for days.
3 turn on the grill, but not touch the menu button.
4. resat the firmware on the grill, so its now 2.00.01 (it was 2.01.0) before.
5. restarted the grill, AND touch the menu button.
6 used QR code and manually

anybody have other idears!?

I'm losing my mind over this

My problem was the same as yours and I was very resistant to buying an extender as I knew my wifi was sound. I got a great sigmal with my phone standing next to my grill. At my wits end, I purchased an extender on Amazon as I knew I could return it if it did not work. To my surprise it resolved my problem.

I suspect the problem is not with your AP but the placement of the ESP WiFi chip on the control board of the Traeger. It is mounted in the ALL metal housing of the pellet hopper without an external antenna. Not much you can do to improve it but move the AP closer to the grill (which should not be the case for normal well engineer WiFi devices, unfortunately the Pro 575 is not one of them or they would have added an external antenna).

I think it is a mediocre smoker and a mediocre grill. The main issue is the absolutely clueless implementation of the app and wifi! If you dont mind doing as much screwing around with getting it to work as cooking, I'd give it a 5/10

I'm very close to just giving mine away....to someone I dont like much.

I finally got it on wifi.
I moved it so it was 3 feet away from my AP, that actually didn't do anything, i got the same errors as before.
But then i put it into sales demo, and try to connect to the wifi,,,, and bingo it came online.
I then move the grill back to its original location in the backyard, and its still kept the connection.
Now im waiting for the grill to update,,,,,again!!

Good to hear you got it working. I am curious, what signal strength are you getting in the normal location? It is displayed via the App under "Settings" or on the grill display under "WiFi Information"

Good to hear you got it working. I am curious, what signal strength are you getting in the normal location? It is displayed via the App under "Settings" or on the grill display under "WiFi Information"

I'm getting -66 dbm.

Still waiting for the firmware update though.

Hey all...I followed the suggestion of what denmyos did by putting my grill in demo mode and set up the wifi. No matter what tried would work with the new app...So, try putting in demo mode and the set up your WIFI...good luck and thanks denmyos for documenting your numerous attempts and what actually worked for you.

I finally got it on wifi.
I moved it so it was 3 feet away from my AP, that actually didn't do anything, i got the same errors as before.
But then i put it into sales demo, and try to connect to the wifi,,,, and bingo it came online.
I then move the grill back to its original location in the backyard, and its still kept the connection.
Now im waiting for the grill to update,,,,,again!!
Thanks for suggestion of sales demo mode. This also worked for my solution.

Your signal strength looks good. Did your firmware update?
I haven´t got the firmware update yet,, still waiting..

But my trouble continues..
The grill can't hold temp, and right now it simple just shut down.!!

I have have seen it go to double the temp, on low temp.
I have done more trouble shoot, than cooking on this grill.

There is some thing really wrong here..

I put it into shut down mode,, but the temp is rising fast.??

I'm sick of this sh*t!!!

Last edited:
I haven´t got the firmware update it,, still waiting..

But my trouble continues..
The grill can't hold temp, and right now it simple just shut down.!!

I have have seen it go to double the temp, on low cooking.
I have done more trouble shoot, than cooking on this grill.

There is some thing really wrong here..

I put it into shut down mode,, but the temp i rising fast.??

I'm sick of this sh*t!!!

My temps hold and track well but this weekend I noticed the lower third of the screen on my controller has developed dead pixels. This is getting ridiculous. I called customer support but the wait was 1-2 hours, so I chose for a call back. I will see if they call.

I´m ready to throw in the towel on this wifi issue.
And either run it without wifi, or return the unit.

What I have tried so far:
Everything was working fine before they updated the app (android), so i know it has nothing to do with my network.
When i ADD my grill, it cannot find my network, but it will find all my neighbours wifi.
My wifi is 2.4 ghz.

The closest neighbours is 25m away from the grill. When i stand next to the grill with my phone, it can easily find my network.
If i do a speedtest with my phone next to the grill i get 50mb and above, so no problems there.

1. delete the app, reinstalled the app.
2. unplugged the grill for days.
3 turn on the grill, but not touch the menu button.
4. resat the firmware on the grill, so its now 2.00.01 (it was 2.01.0) before.
5. restarted the grill, AND touch the menu button.
6 used QR code and manually

anybody have other idears!?

I'm losing my mind over this
I was unable to pair my century 885 with the WiFi, did the Traeger call in support (twice). Tried everything no Help. Tried another phone and it work the first time. The first phone was a Android 10 phone and my wife's phone is a Android 8. I don't know this will help or I just got lucky. I tried several times and I was able pair the the grill with the Android 8 phone, but unable to pair with Android 10 phone. It could be a setting on Android 10 phone that is not correct. Still troubleshooting...

Latest Discussions

Back