New to Treager - any advice?

Roastlamb

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Thought I’d start a conversation here for an opinion and some advice. Currently own a Weber Kettle, love it but find charcoal can be a little tough sometimes and when you first ignite it fills the neighbourhood with lots thick white smoke (I don’t mind but am sure the neighbours do!). Looking to get the Pro 575 for basically all my cooking outdoors - occasional briskets and ribs etc. lots of fish and game (trout, pheasant and venison mostly), fewer steaks, and hopefully lots of smoked salmon and trout. I live in Alberta, Canada where the winters are cold. As low as -30c, no cooking then but -15c is a common occurrence in the evenings. My questions to all of you are:

- is the Pro 575 enough to handle the cold?
- coming from a charcoal BBQ, am I going to notice a similar taste to when I put lumps of wood on the briquettes and cook indirectly?
- some people complain of no change in flavour - hoping this isn’t going to have the same taste as a gas BBQ?!
- does it smoke a lot on start up and on those low temperatures of <250f?

I thank you in advance and look forward to hearing your responses and to posting my success (hopefully) in the future.

Cheers,
H

Hello everyone,

Thought I’d start a conversation here for an opinion and some advice. Currently own a Weber Kettle, love it but find charcoal can be a little tough sometimes and when you first ignite it fills the neighbourhood with lots thick white smoke (I don’t mind but am sure the neighbours do!). Looking to get the Pro 575 for basically all my cooking outdoors - occasional briskets and ribs etc. lots of fish and game (trout, pheasant and venison mostly), fewer steaks, and hopefully lots of smoked salmon and trout. I live in Alberta, Canada where the winters are cold. As low as -30c, no cooking then but -15c is a common occurrence in the evenings. My questions to all of you are:

- is the Pro 575 enough to handle the cold?
- coming from a charcoal BBQ, am I going to notice a similar taste to when I put lumps of wood on the briquettes and cook indirectly?
- some people complain of no change in flavour - hoping this isn’t going to have the same taste as a gas BBQ?!
- does it smoke a lot on start up and on those low temperatures of <250f?

I thank you in advance and look forward to hearing your responses and to posting my success (hopefully) in the future.

Cheers,
H

If you use lump, you’ll be thoroughly disappointed with a traeger. I love my stick burner or weber kettle for flavor and traeger for convenience. However, I’ve been able to get close with some add-one’s to the pellet deal, and it’s extremely consistent and convenient.

Good to know, part of the reason for wanting a Treager is convenience...

Latest Discussions

Back