New to pellet smokers

BrettsSmoke

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 780
Greetings all! I just got my first grill, Pro 780 and I am using Traeger pellets and there just is not enough smoke. I have cooked a whole chicken and a picnic roast. Both were very juicy and good, they lacked the smoke flavor I am use to from using electric and propane smokers. I have read several articles from Traeger on how their smoke technique works. I just need more smoke flavor.

Hello BrettsSmoke,
I too am relatively new to pellet grilling myself, but I have some advice. I too did not get much smokey flavor from the Traeger Pellets (I had a bag of hickory and cherry). By searching through various forums, I decided to try different brands of pellets. So far, I've tried Traeger(Hickory and Cherry), BBQr Delight(Oak and Apple) and Lumber Jack (Competition Blend and Char Hickory Blend).

For me so far, the BBQr Delight seemed to have the most pleasant smell while burning and produced the best smoke flavor. I need to burn through more of the Lumberjack to make a decision of them. Of course, a better test would be to try the same flavor from different manufactures of pellets.

So my ranking so far is
1) BBQr Delight
2) Lumberjack
3) Traeger

That said, I am yet to produce the intense smokiness that I get from my Big Green Egg or Weber. The charcoal with wood chunks/chips produces a more intense smoky flavor. My family (wife and kids) prefer the light smokiness of the Traeger in most cases.

I hope this helps
Regards
-D

Hello BrettsSmoke,
I too am relatively new to pellet grilling myself, but I have some advice. I too did not get much smokey flavor from the Traeger Pellets (I had a bag of hickory and cherry). By searching through various forums, I decided to try different brands of pellets. So far, I've tried Traeger(Hickory and Cherry), BBQr Delight(Oak and Apple) and Lumber Jack (Competition Blend and Char Hickory Blend).

For me so far, the BBQr Delight seemed to have the most pleasant smell while burning and produced the best smoke flavor. I need to burn through more of the Lumberjack to make a decision of them. Of course, a better test would be to try the same flavor from different manufactures of pellets.

So my ranking so far is
1) BBQr Delight
2) Lumberjack
3) Traeger

That said, I am yet to produce the intense smokiness that I get from my Big Green Egg or Weber. The charcoal with wood chunks/chips produces a more intense smoky flavor. My family (wife and kids) prefer the light smokiness of the Traeger in most cases.

I hope this helps
Regards
-D
Good morning Darrylovia

Thanks for the info. I have been researching, and a lot of smokers are saying the Lumber Jack is the way to go. I have only tried the Traeger and Pit Boss, both of them were their competition blend and I think they were both the same. Very light smoke flavor. I am going to order some Lumber Jack and BBQr Delight. Also I have been told that a smoke tube works great, so I might give that a try also. I am really liking the ability to set the temp and walk away and not have to constantly watch it.

I use B&B and Traeger pellets (depending on when and where I am when I buy them) and when I want extra smoke, I use a pellet tube. There are plenty available and they work great for extra smoke when you want it.

Back