New to pellet grilling

Wcheaney

Reaction score
Grill
Century 885
Ok fellas got my grill a few weeks ago and the first few cooks were short and in my opinion failed to meet expectations! Having said that I've watched a few vids and today I'm trying my best at some new York strip steaks, mom, mom
BUT! Even at 220 and 225 no smoke! Using hickory, learned a lot in three last few weeks however I'm am still very skeptical on the new grill I've purchased! About ready to throw it in the metal dumpster at work! I've used the traditional wood pit for years NEVER have ice had this much problems! Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong would be greatly appreciated🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️😢🤨👍👍😤😤

Ok fellas got my grill a few weeks ago and the first few cooks were short and in my opinion failed to meet expectations! Having said that I've watched a few vids and today I'm trying my best at some new York strip steaks, mom, mom
BUT! Even at 220 and 225 no smoke! Using hickory, learned a lot in three last few weeks however I'm am still very skeptical on the new grill I've purchased! About ready to throw it in the metal dumpster at work! I've used the traditional wood pit for years NEVER have ice had this much problems! Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong would be greatly appreciated🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️😢🤨👍👍😤😤
Dang auto correct mom mom, have no idea 😂😂😂

Welcome to the forum @Wcheaney - What brand of pellets are you using? Check out the B&B pellets at HEB. Also, for even more smoke a lot of guys use these little smoke tubes:

My New Traeger Does Not Put Out The Smoke I Was Expecting!!
Traeger is not a charcoal stick burner smoker... It is a wood pellet oven/smoker

https://www.traegergrills.com/support/not-enough-smoke
A lot of people, when they think of a smoker, think of a grill billowing thick white smoke. This is not the type of smoke we want to produce.

Traeger Wood Pellet Grills produce a superior thin blue smoke that provides a cleaner, smoker flavor. Often, the smoke is so thin it only appears as heat waves coming off the grill. However, it is there. You will be able to see the smoke rings on your meat and taste the difference.

• One suggestion is to start your cooks with low smoking temps (180°-200°) for the first hour or so then cook your meat at regular temp. Traegers put out more visible smoke at lower temps.
  • You can always buy a $20 smoking tube and add more smoke to your cooks that way... THEY WORK!!! ► Search Amazon
  • Some have added a Smoke Generator like Smokin-it Bella
  • Animated Gif Arrows (116).gif

PLEASE NOTE: In OLD smokers, (stick and charcoal) more charcoal than wood is used, most of us that smoked before Traegers used charcoal instead of 'all wood'... the SMOKE FLAVOR most guys talk about "missing" in a Traeger is the CHARCOAL smoke, not WOOD smoke. The charcoal smell and smoke will NEVER be there on a Traeger, I suggest this is what MOST new Traeger users are missing when they talk about "NOT AS MUCH SMOKE."

Then there is also just a matter of taste and what you like your meat to taste like:
Timmmer said:
Certainly regulating temps in the smoker and the meat itself greatly impacts the outcome and perception of it tasting "good."

I wonder if your success, or lack there of, is a matter of taste? Many love the taste of smoke, some do not. There is a restaurant near me that gets rave reviews. They have a huge smoker outside where they smoke EVERYTHING, including sides. For me it all tastes like licking a fire poker and I can't tell any difference in taste from their chicken to their beef to their green beans.

At risk of being banished from the Traeger community, I will tell you I do not like much smoky flavor, and neither does my wife. For this reason I never had any interest in a smoker until we had a brisket made by a friend. It was the best meat I've ever had in my life. I was instantly sold. I'm about a year in and we have really had some great food. We have intentionally used pellet mixes that are mild and avoided swings in temperature that might produce more smoke with the meat. As far as meat, we've enjoyed large briskets, pork butts, and ribs. They are fantastic. We have done potroast, beer can chicken, and spotchuck chicken a few times each and it was ok. Truth be told I'd rather have had the chicken on the grill and the roast in the oven. As far as steak, I'm sure I'll try it eventually, but to date I just haven't been able to bring myself to put one on my smoker.

OH YEAH, and WELCOME!!!

Latest Discussions

Back