New timberline 850 owner in Alberta, Canada

AlbertaKaper

Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 850
Hi,

My wife just bought he a beautiful timberline 850 for my 40th birthday (she was planning a Vegas trip but a pandemic put a damper on that), but i think the Traeger will be the gift that just keeps on giving.

I live in Alberta Canada where the temperature drops very low, yesterday was -37 deg Celsius. I also have the cover to protect it as it’s outdoors.

I assembled my traeger today and will season it tomorrow. I am not sure how it will work in these temps.

I am not new to smoking meat as I have a Bradley electric smoker but that is useless when the temp drops below freezing. I am excited to hopefully use this year round.

I am basically planning to take my existing propane BBQ to my camper and use the traeger for smoking and bbq, but not sure how it will work for common hamburgers or steaks (beef tenderloin).

I plan to buy a few accessories, any suggestions on MUST haves??? Any other beginner tips? should I just dive into a brisket or pork butt, thinking turkey for Xmas and maybe prime rib for New Year’s Day.

I look forward to sharing my progress and contributing to the community.

thanks,
Les

My only concern is the LCD display in super cold conditions. A couple of us added ceramic wool insulation in between the double walls, would probably be great in your area.

My only concern is the LCD display in super cold conditions. A couple of us added ceramic wool insulation in between the double walls, would probably be great in your area.
Hi RemE.

thanks for the quick reply and suggestion, do you have a link or anywhere I can find more information on implementing your suggestion?

can I control most of the traeger from my phone and not rely on the LCD screen?

thanks,
Les

Welcome to the forum Les!

Yes, WiFire will do most everything.

Link to insulation project;
Thank you RemE, I will check this out. Merry Christmas!

Once you push the "Ignite button" you can do the rest from WiFi. You might think about putting a small heater inside the Insulation (can get Insulation from Amazon) Amazon Heater (11 USD) this may keep the controller temp above freezing.
The controller screen backs you up in case the WiFI go's down....

Latest Discussions

Back