New Scout

AZ Prospector

Reaction score
Grill
Scout
Traeger had a road show this weekend at Costco and I picked up a new Scout. Came with inverter and carry case.

Has a larger pellet hopper than original model and serious drip tray. Burned in over the weekend and I am pleased with the quality.

last year, I got tired of waiting for the scout/ranger to be available and picked up a GMG DC. Happy with the DC, but I can see the greater quality in the traeger.

Congrats on the new Traeger and welcome to the forum! Have you had a chance to use it more? I'm still interested in picking one of these up for camping.

Congrats on the new Traeger and welcome to the forum! Have you had a chance to use it more? I'm still interested in picking one of these up for camping.
Camping is why I picked it up also. FIrst cook this weekend.

First official cook, had to call traeger because the temp just kept rising all the way to 475. I had it set at 225. pork chops still came out amazing. The first question tech asked was did I start it with the lid open? Just so happened I did not, forgot about that little note in the instructions. He said to try again next day, but believes I may have a bad sensor regardless.

Next day, tried again with steak. Started It with lid open. Had it set to 350, temp fluctuated between 350 and 450. A little better, but still a 100 degree swing.

Note on power consumption: the fan runs all the time so it draws much more power from my little portable battery than the GMG DC. And I mean a lot more of a power draw. I only got two meals out of my little 400 portable battery With the scout. The DC gets about 10 meals from the same battery. i also asked tech about the fan and he confirmed it stays on.

Love the portability of this model and I hope I can get it figured out. As it stands, I do not feel comfortable leaving it unattended.
13F95F38-CBE3-457F-B203-345BE499F5B8.jpeg

ED5E3A26-AB63-4157-9707-15AA081F5D81.jpeg

Last edited:
Third run, better than first run, but still higher than the set temp. Guess its usable if I just plan on it running 100 higher than set temp. looks Like they still have some bugs to work out. It’s comparable to cooking with a propane grill. Short fast cooks and never left unattended.

Sorry to say GMG just works a lot better. Stays within 10-20 degrees of set temp and just sips power. was Running both today, some elk jerky this morning and now some ribs are on.

scout test results:
smoke: 200-225
225: around 300-350
300: around 350-400

gotta think about it, may try the replacement sensor, or just take it back to Costco.

Hey there, I know this thread is old but I just bought a scout and it is the first pellet stove of any kind that I have used. I am a complete novice here. So far, I have succeeded in making some wonderful pork charcoal. Most of it was still edible, but parts of it were not. I too have a Scout that when set to 225 fluctuates between 205 and 450. I have called Traeger a few times now and they haven't really been that much help. If I continue to destroy good meat I am going to ditch the Traeger and just go back to my barbecue. How big is this learning curve?

Hey there, I know this thread is old but I just bought a scout and it is the first pellet stove of any kind that I have used. I am a complete novice here. So far, I have succeeded in making some wonderful pork charcoal. Most of it was still edible, but parts of it were not. I too have a Scout that when set to 225 fluctuates between 205 and 450. I have called Traeger a few times now and they haven't really been that much help. If I continue to destroy good meat I am going to ditch the Traeger and just go back to my barbecue. How big is this learning curve?
Normally the curve isn't bad, but the grill can't be all over the map on temps. It should be +\- 15F or so.

That's not good at all. Something certainly doesn't seem right. Is the Scout brand new? What pellets are you using?

Back