New Method for Boston Butt

Walleye Hunter

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575
Always experimenting, I tried a new process for my Boston Butt yesterday and I am pretty happy with the results.

First I smoke it at 165 for six hours then wrap it and put it in the oven until done and it keeps its bark and flavor. But this time I took an AL pan that I have and put a grate in the bottom of it. Instead of trying to wrap the whole butt without tearing the foil, I wrapped the top tight and got it sealed up nice. Total cook time was 14 hours, which is faster than usual for me, it usually takes 20 hour or more.

It got done at midnight so I just put it in the cooler and wrapped it and got to it at 0800 this AM. It was still warm, there was about a qt or more of juice in the bottom of the pan but it was still below the rack so the roast was still not sitting in fluid. It was the moistest of any I've done so far and I'm pretty thrilled with it. I do let them age in the refrigerator for a few days then inject them with chicken broth before cooking.

Have had very good luck with the process you described above. I changed up the pellets from traeger to pit boss mix of competition 50% mesquite 25% and charcoal pellets. Used smoke tube as well - much better smoke ring and flavor.

Attachments

• 53128966-2BF5-47FF-91B2-DCFA8870B901.jpeg
    53128966-2BF5-47FF-91B2-DCFA8870B901.jpeg
    266.2 KB · Views: 22
Sealed AL pans is what I use for porksteaks (cut from butts) and I get awesome results...

Back