New Meat Church Brisket Series

Interesting. Meat side up is definitely prettier (that smoke ring rocks!) but a little more of a chew. Good to know.

That is exactly my experience, my first two briskets were fat side down, and they had great smoke rings but did have that tougher "chew". I switched to fat side up after seeing the Weekday Brisket video and the results were fantastic, JUCY. But the smoke ring was much less.

Knowing that the ring is myoglobin's red color being locked by carbon monoxide (CO) early in the cook, I think that meat side down seals the meat surface faster due to the direct heat, hence less CO penetration.

I'll take jucy.

Can't wait for the tallow test!

Attachments

• 93BB3044-710C-420B-A71F-5CE613A615F6.jpeg
    93BB3044-710C-420B-A71F-5CE613A615F6.jpeg
    261.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 179186A1-3331-4296-9F8A-6E633EE5DF3A.jpeg
    179186A1-3331-4296-9F8A-6E633EE5DF3A.jpeg
    185 KB · Views: 17
Just got delivery of the Wagyu tallow. Cannot wait to see the next video and also to try it out on my next brisket.

Matt has alluded to not thinking tallow was necessary before. Definitely curious how the video goes

I'll take jucy.
Exactly, but this tallow thing... I'd rather have my juicy come from rendered fat than added fat. That's just me.
I'd be more of a fan of adding broth than tallow... again, just me.

Notice the end of those first 2 videos gave them both some seriously juicy brisket without any tallow so far, and juice was pouring out of them.

Tallow or no tallow

I read Pittman's description of the video and he seemed too have bad mouthed "YouTube people"...wonder if he was taking a shot at Mad Scientist or somebody else making BBQ videos using tallow.

@RustyJake, your post says "Video unavailable"

Well, now all three are unavailable. Strange. Maybe it's my connection.

I read Pittman's description of the video and he seemed too have bad mouthed "YouTube people"...wonder if he was taking a shot at Mad Scientist or somebody else making BBQ videos using tallow.
Highly competitive field for followers as well as customers. Not sure if anyone is unbiased anymore.
His other comment at the end that people are doing it for the 'likes',
People have to use all of this stuff as guidelines and cook how they enjoy their food.
He didn't say he didn't like the process or that it didn't give the intended results. Basically the end result was that it works, but in doing so you give up some flavor from the rub. So there is a trade off

Last edited:
@RustyJake, your post says "Video unavailable"
I know, for some reason the forum is doing that to YouTube video links.
I was able to get it to take for a bit, but it screwed up soon after
Not sure if there was a forum upgrade that caused this or a change to YouTube hot linking
Maybe @primeone can have a look to see what's happening. The other two videos are showing unavailable in this thread as well

For now, you may have to go to YouTube and search Meat Church, they are working there

I have tried every way I know how to post from youtube... it's not working... we need to post in the UPDATE thread for Primeone to see

Latest Discussions

Back